Not starting, any ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Not starting, any ideas

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 11-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
ryanraben
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not starting, any ideas

Hello
I have a 1997 4.0 Sport. It sat for four days, and then this morning would not start at all. It sounds like it wants to turn over, and comes close, but nothing.

A friend came over and tried helping, but it is a little dark out already, he will check it out again over the weekend. I can hear the fuel pump coming on, and he tried spraying some starter fluid into the air box and still nothing. Also checked the spark plugs and although oily, they definitely had spark (he shocked himself by accident while holding the plug wire).

Battery and starter are both fairly new. Starter last December, battery (optima yellow top) in January. I do not know when but the plugs, wires, and distributor cap were also replaced fairly recently. (I have only had this wrangler for a few months, and it has been a money pit. But I still love it to death)

It has run like a champ since I got it. I did have two issues with it, one was an issue with an immobilizer system, and the other was that it was running a little hot. But that turned out to be a simple fix, the hose clamp was put over the hose and not over the metal part, restricting the coolant.

I do not know if it matters either, but it is a Euro specs Jeep, although the only difference I have been able to find has been the gauges have MPH and KPH...with KPH on top, and the immobilizer is standard in Germany. It is able to be shipped back home to the States when my tour here is finished (Army)

My knowledge of cars is minimal, I can change oil, and brakes... that is about it. My friend knows much more, I am hoping someone may have an idea that I can pass onto him.

Thank you for any help you are able to offer

Ryan

ryanraben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You need fuel, fire & compression.
Verify you have all three before continuing.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanraben View Post
Hello
I have a 1997 4.0 Sport. It sat for four days, and then this morning would not start at all. It sounds like it wants to turn over, and comes close, but nothing...
What do you mean? Either it turns over or it doesn't. Do you mean it turns over, but doesn't start? Or does it just click, or click and almost turn the starter? If either of the latter, it's the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanraben View Post
...Battery and starter are both fairly new. Starter last December, battery (optima yellow top) in January. I do not know when but the plugs, wires, and distributor cap were also replaced fairly recently.
Optima batteries have reportedly gone far south, both literally and figuratively. There's lots of reports of early/near immediate failures since they moved production.

If it's not the battery, like said above; fuel, air, and spark make it all happen.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.0 liter , start problems

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.