Not a Newbie TJ Owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Not a Newbie TJ Owner

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 10-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Not a Newbie TJ Owner

Crawled up from the basement to ask a couple questions on TJ`s.

Not new to Jeeps, currently wheel a stroker YJ (JF YJ of the Year 2011) but TJs are kind of a new playground for me.

Just purchased a 99, 2.5, AX5 for my 16 yo daughter. Well equipped with factory options and a reasonably fresh 4 inch Pro Comp (pretty sure) lift and 33`s. Little to no offroading in it`s history. Handled, braked and rode well. The clutch seemed a little high in the pedal but I am comparing that to my YJ.

Expect for the rear wiper everything works as it should.

Going to start by giving the engine compartment and underbody a good cleaning and detailing. Typical fluid changes blah, blah you`ve all read it before.

The OEM battery cables are coming out and a fresh set built in the next gage up. Harness grounds cleaned and re-terminated as needed.

Beyond the basics that most jeepers should know. Are there any special areas that I ought to be paying particular attention to ?

Like I said this is going to be my daughters ride and suspect it will be subjected to heavy mall crawling and for now I am happy with that.

On YJ`s I can name off several weak areas with no thought. However the newer TJ`s with it`s OBD2 architecture and coil suspension I am sure they have their own nuances.

Thanks for the help folks.

jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
fire239
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you're on the right track. Only thing I may add is flush the coolant and only use HOAT antifreeze to refill. Single platinum plugs run the best in that engine. Check the torque on the front track bar. Other than that, good luck and I know your daughter is excited!!!
fire239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire239 View Post
Sounds like you're on the right track. Only thing I may add is flush the coolant and only use HOAT antifreeze to refill. Single platinum plugs run the best in that engine. Check the torque on the front track bar. Other than that, good luck and I know your daughter is excited!!!
Thanks fire239, just the kind of responses I am looking for.

Sorry for the ignorance but what is HOAT antifreeze ? EDIT, Searched and now I have a grasp on the different types of AF. I am a big fan of OEM fluids and parts. Will check the dealer. Amazon sells Mopar http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mopar-...r+coolant+hoat

Platinum's were not on the list but are now.

I will look up what the torque spec is on the front TB and adjust accordingly.

Thanks
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
fire239
1998 TJ Wrangler 

HOAT is sometimes hard to find, but NAPA carries it.
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
Melissas6570
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Thanks fire239, just the kind of responses I am looking for.

Sorry for the ignorance but what is HOAT antifreeze ? EDIT, Searched and now I have a grasp on the different types of AF. I am a big fan of OEM fluids and parts. Will check the dealer. Amazon sells Mopar http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mopar-...r+coolant+hoat

Platinum's were not on the list but are now.

I will look up what the torque spec is on the front TB and adjust accordingly.

Thanks
You want double platinum plugs. Do a search and you will find may threads on this.
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
77midget
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Probably not a bad idea to torque/check control arm bolts and bushings as well as the TREs and TB clean (if needed). Also not sure where you are located, but a course of preventative lube on notorious bolts such as shock bolts, control arm bolts, track bars, frame/tub, etc with PB Blaster after you wash the underside might be a time saver in the future...
77midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you haven't already, check the frame where the lower control arms mount in the rear.
That spot is notorious for rotting out within short order.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #8
fire239
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissas6570
You want double platinum plugs. Do a search and you will find may threads on this.
That is correct for 2000 and newer TJs with a DIS ignition system, but the OP has a 99 which has a distributor, coil, and plug wires. Conventional plugs or single platinum work best in that engine.
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice thus far folks.

SHE will be doing most of the work and this thread is a useful tool to get her started in what I hope will be a lifelong learning experience.
Unread 10-22-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
achilless
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the advice thus far folks.

SHE will be doing most of the work and this thread is a useful tool to get her started in what I hope will be a lifelong learning experience.

achilless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If the lift and tires are "fresh". Confirm that the speedo gear matches tires/gearing.

Just use a GPS to check against the speedo, last thing you want is the daughter not knowing what speed she's going.
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
If the lift and tires are "fresh". Confirm that the speedo gear matches tires/gearing.

Just use a GPS to check against the speedo, last thing you want is the daughter not knowing what speed she's going.
Good point, I`ll have to ask the PO ers if they re cal the speedo. If not your right, the speed and the miles will be lower. Which in the miles would be a good thing.

Just finished up info center Mark II on the YJ. I`ll see about something similar for the TJ.

My mind keeps drifting to LSx`s, tons and aw darn stop that.
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Good point, I`ll have to ask the PO ers if they re cal the speedo. If not your right, the speed and the miles will be lower. Which in the miles would be a good thing.
It may be easier to use a GPS and /or a hi way with mile markers, like an interstate, and drive 10-20 miles and compare to odometer.

The calibration is done by changing a plastic gear in the transfer case, about a 10 minutes job, 1 bolt.
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

As far as the plugs go, Autolite AP985 or Champion 3034 are the way to go.

As for the Coolant, Just dont mix HOAT and the basic green stuff as it gets thick.

FWIW I have been running the basic $4/gal green prestone coolant in my TJ since around 70k miles. It currently has 284XXX on the odometer. Original radiator, original heater core. All hoses have been replaced as well as the water pump purely as preventative maintenance. I dont see why these engines NEED HOAT AF, but certainly dont mix the coolants. Personally not being able to easily find coolant for a vehicle at most parts stores and gas stations is bad, the reason while I originally switched.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/4338209219.html

My build - Odd approach to 33's
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/o...h-33s-1307968/
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #15
UnlimitedMatt
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm in a similar situation as you, my 18 year old son just bought a 99 tj.

One thing that you should look into is the heater and a/c switches. The 1999 and 2000 are prone to to melting.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ac...elting-608645/

I just when through this and added the relay mod to keep them from melting again.
2005 Unlimited Rubicon, Sahara Edition #556, Colorado Jeep Club Member #556
Rusty, if you are reading this, I am still waiting for my $249 refund from 06/2010. Pm me for my address to send the check. Thanks!
UnlimitedMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.