not good Vibrations after a 2" lift kit - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-21-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Submariner
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
not good Vibrations after a 2" lift kit

I put a procomp 2" lift on my stock tj, new shocks and springs around. Now I got a vibration in the rear.

I pulled the rear drive line and drove it with the front drive/4wd, no vibrations. I am going to change the u-joints on the drive-line first. they were a little dry and one seems to be a bit stiff.

I was told that I would not have any issues with just a 2" lift.

Any other suggestions on a fix for it?

Submariner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-21-2016, 06:05 PM
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

MML, lopro, or add a few washers between the TC skid and the frame

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-21-2016, 06:07 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Drivetrain vibrations are common even after a short 2" suspension lift. You just need to decrease the excessive angle at the rear driveshaft u-joints by dropping the transfer case skidplate 1/2" to 5/8" of an inch. You can do that by just stacking enough washers around each of the six bolts between the frame and skidplate until you get that 1/2" to 5/8" drop. The washers will first have to fill up a small indentation so you'll need probably 3/4" worth of washers around each bolt. That means you need to buy about a 4" stack of heavy-duty washers with a 1/2" bolt hole through them.

Loosen but don't remove all six bolts at once. Support the t-case skidplate with a jack and insert the washers on one side first, then do the other. Keeping the bolts in on one side keeps the skidplate from sliding out at an angle.
Attached Images

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-21-2016, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Submariner
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
That is an easy fix. I will try it tomorrow

Submariner
post #5 of 10 Old 11-23-2016, 05:36 AM
toodyaytj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just did the same thing thanks to jerry's advice and it worked a treat. I would go a little toward the 5/8" side of things, it's easier to just do it once than to not quite get there and have to do the same job again.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-23-2016, 07:22 AM
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

IMO, thats a lot of TC drop for a 2" lift.

also, dont have a jeep with OEM skid with me to verify, but dont the nutserts in the frame fill that small indention on the skid? I'm 90% positive that I only used 2x 1/8" thick washers per bolt on the gf's TC after a zone combo install. naturally that is a different lift and includes a MML, but the spacing between the nutserts and skid remains the same

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-23-2016, 08:08 AM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

First take care of the u joints before you need with anything else.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-23-2016, 09:01 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
IMO, thats a lot of TC drop for a 2" lift.
That's how much it took to get rid of my vibes after installing a 2" suspension lift many years ago. 1/2" to 5/8" of tcase drop has pretty much been the standard recommendation for a 2" budget boost.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-25-2016, 07:10 AM
toodyaytj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I figure I gained an 1 1/2" from going from the stock 28's to 31's and then another 2 with the lift so to give up just over 1/2" I'm still almost 3" better off and it stopped the vibration. Thanks again Jerry.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-25-2016, 09:51 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That's how much it took to get rid of my vibes after installing a 2" suspension lift many years ago. 1/2" to 5/8" of tcase drop has pretty much been the standard recommendation for a 2" budget boost.
Exactly right. I've done many, because I'm poor. All my 4" SL vibes were fixed with a MML and 3/4" t case drop before waiting for my winning lottery ticket to do things the right way............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............................

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Why also would he need a rare as hen's teeth Dana 44 out of another TJ which will eventually lead to him swapping in a POS 8.8 because he can't find one?

Tags
lift kit , vibrations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.