Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Noob w/ Jeep ownership questions

883 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  M2LJ 
#1 ·
yo bros - new to the Jeep thing and would like to get some info.

I'm considering an 05 Jeep Unlimited, I've always like their look with the longer wheelbase. For sure, it will do a fair share of commuting and highway miles, but I will be looking forward to taking it off-road for some mild trailing when I get a chance.

- My #1 concern, after coming from an Audi A4, is how expensive relative to other vehicles is the maintenance and general service bills for the TJ wranglers? I really want to have a clear expectation of what I'm getting into before I buy one. Also comments on overall reliability are helpful.

- Is it possible to attach a trailer to the rear? I would like to be able to transport a motorcyle or two thus. Is there any kind of tow hitch or do you have to add one?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Id say probably cheaper to maintain than an Audi. Gas mileage isnt great but if thats a concern your buying the wrong car.

For the most part TJ's are very reliable. I have a friend pushing 310k miles on original engine and transmission.

Trailer shouldnt be a problem. Probably wouldnt be hard to find an unlimited with a hitch already on. If not a hitch wouldnt be hard to ad

#3 ·
Jeeps are dirt cheap to maintain compared to the german luxery/performance cars. This has actually been my first non-german vehicle -ever. The only thing that can get expensive is when modifications start taking over or breaking things off road.

The unlimited (LJ) is actually better for towing, it can tow 3500lbs vs the TJs 2000lbs due to the LJ having a longer wheel base.

Edit: And Jeeps are very easy to work on, so you can do most everything yourself. There is a ton of info on here to help you along the way.

#5 ·
I am the PERFECT Person to answer this..... I have a TJ Wrangler and an Audi S4 which is same as a A4 except the motor..

To date..

Wrangler..
replaced the turn signal switch and 3rd brake light bulb...$245 in 4 years of ownership Plus brakes for $39 in front

Mods to TJ.. Lift was $350, rims and tires $400... Top was $600 (next mods will be expensive, $2000+ for D44 axles and $4000 to $6000 for V8 Swap)

S4..

repairs..
EGT sensor $300, Oxygen Sensors $200 each X 4, Brakes and crossdrilled $450, Turbo's were dying so replaced them with bigger ones.. Would of been $5000..

Mods...
2 @ K04 turbos, upgraded fueling, Coil Overs, Intercoolers, rims and tires, Exhaust, Downpipes.... Over $12,000....

SO, as a money pit, the Audi is a much more expensive car..
Which do I like better.. That is really hard, I like whichever I have not driven in the last few days. 80's out I drive the Jeep, but I miss the power of the Audi.. But driving the Audi I miss the top off of the Jeep..

#6 ·
duglas25 said:
SO, as a money pit, the Audi is a much more expensive car..
Yeah, I am pretty sure that is going to be the case. No doubt those S4's are great fun to drive, but money hogs.

One time the windshield wipers died on my A4 and it cost me something like $500 to fix - which I had to do to get my inspection renewed. That's when I decided to let the Audi go.

I'm looking at an 05 Wrangler unlimited, 4x4, 5spd, 31k with some factory warranty remaining priced at 16k (It's also silver, which matches my Ducati). I wanted to go cheaper high-mileage toyota truck or something but if this is a good deal I may pounce on it.

#7 ·
TX Rider said:
Yeah, I am pretty sure that is going to be the case. No doubt those S4's are great fun to drive, but money hogs.

One time the windshield wipers died on my A4 and it cost me something like $500 to fix - which I had to do to get my inspection renewed. That's when I decided to let the Audi go.

I'm looking at an 05 Wrangler unlimited, 4x4, 5spd, 31k with some factory warranty remaining priced at 16k (It's also silver, which matches my Ducati). I wanted to go cheaper high-mileage toyota truck or something but if this is a good deal I may pounce on it.
That's a bargain in my opinion. I've had nothing but positive remarks from my Jeep, simple oil/filter changes, etc

- Kev

#8 ·
NivekTJ03 said:
That's a bargain in my opinion. I've had nothing but positive remarks from my Jeep, simple oil/filter changes, etc

- Kev
Same here. Bought used at 41K, now at 70K. No Problems.

Except for the soft top. But it sits outside all the time, and I constantly put it up and take it down. I new that I was going to have to replace it eventually, though.

#9 ·
If you have an Audi and a Ducati, then the Jeep is gonna seem dirt cheap (pun intended) in comparison!

I have a VW Passat wagon (cousin to the Audi) and a Honda CBR1000RR, along with a '05 Unlimited I picked up earlier this year. Of course this summer has sucked when it comes to riding around with the top and doors off; but the few times I have managed to do that have been worth every penny I spent getting the Jeep. I kept the Passat as a commuter, and use it about 60% of the time to get to work. I've also started a binder on simple maintenance procedures on the Jeep, e.g. oil changes, lubing joints, etc. I normally shy away from any type of technical stuff as cars and bikes have become too complicated for my extremely limited mechanical skills; but the Jeep is like my E40 BMWs that I had in Germany...easy and cheap to fix, and I don't mind doing a lot of the work myself.

There are some good sites out there on doing most of the basic maintenance yourself, once I would recommend is Jeep.us41.org.

You anywhere near San Antonio?

Cheers! M2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.