NOOB A/C question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > NOOB A/C question

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!2003-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Dark Background wi

Unread 09-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Barcus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

NOOB A/C question

When I crank the Jeep up the a/c blows ice cold for only about about 20-30 min. If I have to idle in traffic or the Jeep sits off for a while it comes back. What could be causing this? Im thinking it cant be a leak but I know nothing about a/c systems. Any suggestions? I had the system purged, refilled and a schrader valve replaced a few months ago because it wasnt blowing any cold air.

Unread 09-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Buy a $20 A/C gauge at Advance auto to tell you if it's properly filled or not.Does it blow warm after 30 minutes or not at all out of the vents?
Unread 09-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Barcus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Buy a $20 A/C gauge at Advance auto to tell you if it's properly filled or not.Does it blow warm after 30 minutes or not at all out of the vents?
Its filled properly. I have the gauge. It blows warm air after about 30 min. All the vents function properly.
Unread 09-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

98's are known for vacuum leaks,but usually it will blow out of defrost vents only.My 98' blew cold air until I went up hill or revved the engine.As soon as I backed off,it was cold again.Maybe someone else has had similar problems.
Unread 09-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
brplatz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My 98 has a vacuum leak, and an AC leak haha

[QUOTE=mrblaine;14089403]That's like saying you wish your boyfriend was a bit less gay.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"]MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.nmoffroad.com"][COLOR="DarkRed"]NMOffroad[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.overland-motorsports.com/"][COLOR="Gray"]Overland Motorsports[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/brplatzs-tj-opv-1240947/#post13888971"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
brplatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Barcus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
98's are known for vacuum leaks,but usually it will blow out of defrost vents only.My 98' blew cold air until I went up hill or revved the engine.As soon as I backed off,it was cold again.Maybe someone else has had similar problems.
ok, ill have to investigate the possibility of a vacuum leak further.
Unread 09-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Was the systems vacuumed up before refill? Humidity in the system will freeze up the evaporator's orifice tube as AC gets cold and water turns into ice crystals.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Barcus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile View Post
Was the systems vacuumed up before refill? Humidity in the system will freeze up the evaporator's orifice tube as AC gets cold and water turns into ice crystals.
not sure. Im assuming the shop did when they replaced a valve. Its a pretty reputable shop around here. It might be worth getting it done again.

BTW, I lived in Bakersfield about 25 years ago when I was a kid. Bladen st. I walked to school but I cant remember the name of the school. Castle Elementary?
Unread 09-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You could also have a faulty pressure switch. When it gets warm is the compressor still running or is it turning off???
JWebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
gmiller0737
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWebber View Post
You could also have a faulty pressure switch. When it gets warm is the compressor still running or is it turning off???
That's what I was going to ask,The answer to that question will help determine the next step in Troubleshooting.
gmiller0737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
Barcus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

compressor is still running.
Unread 09-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcus View Post
not sure. Im assuming the shop did when they replaced a valve. Its a pretty reputable shop around here. It might be worth getting it done again.

BTW, I lived in Bakersfield about 25 years ago when I was a kid. Bladen st. I walked to school but I cant remember the name of the school. Castle Elementary?
Doesn't ring a bell. Been living here for just 7 yrs though. I'm a little more familiar with high schools around here (football...), biggest ones being Foothill (Trojans), BHS (Drillers), Centennial (as*holes), etc. Actually live by Highland off of fairfax! Eastside iz de best

For your AC, you're supposed to pull 27-30" (Hg) of vacuum, your shop may have done it, but there's always a chance of air getting in as they refill it (bad charging hose, fittings, etc). The other thing that can cause that is the e-fan not working, if so equipped, but TJs don't have e-fans (right?).
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
Barcus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

yeah No e-fan on mine. I think the 4 cyl Tj's have them

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.