Noisy 241OR transfer case... has anyone rebuilt one? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-17-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Noisy 241OR transfer case... has anyone rebuilt one?

My Rubicon's 241OR has become noisy in just normal driving around in 2wd. When I slow down to <10 mph for a stop, it feels & sounds like I'm driving over those little grooves along side some roads designed to wake up drowsy drivers. And in reverse, it makes a repetitive pulsating sound, more offensive sounding than a simple tick.

I thought I possibly just had a noisy rear driveshaft but after removing it last night, the noise happened when I rotated the 241OR's output shaft flange back & forth.

So based on the noise, I believe a rebuild is likely in its short-term future. I have found a rebuild kit from JB Conversions, has anyone installed one and did you have any issues? I'm not so sure the noise isn't from the chain but I won't know that until I get inside. The noise makes me think bearing but my experience with a transfer case is limited to installing a couple SYE kits inside 231s.

I found a rebuild kit from JB Conversions, has anyone installed one and did you have any issues or advice to share? Does anyone else with first-hand experience have any recommendations aside from JB Conversions? What about the chain?

When you have a choice, buy American made.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-17-2012, 08:48 AM
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

On our last wheeling trip, mine had made some noise in 4lo. When we got back, I tried to replicate it in the front lawn, but the 241OR was back to being quiet I'm not sure what to make of it just yet.

IG: CS_OFFROAD
YOUTUBE: CS OFFROAD
post #3 of 18 Old 10-17-2012, 12:07 PM
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

I just had to switch cases on my 231. I would not call it a rebuild, but I did rebuild it. I used this guy's video. He has 4 or 5 videos on there going thru part by part on the rebuild. I have a couple pictures of the parts layout on page 20 in my build thread in my sig.

16 Taco
87 MJ Chief in pieces
Bought/Wheeled/Sold: 85 CJ, 79 FSJ, 05 LJ, 06 WK

post #4 of 18 Old 10-17-2012, 02:51 PM
05TNRubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had mine apart a few months ago to replace a factory bent main shaft. Once you split it apart you will see that it is not much to it. just be sure when you slide the tone ring off the main shaft there is a small pin in the shaft don't drop that. and don't take the oil pomp apart just clean the pickup out and the rest is simple.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 PM
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TNRubi View Post
I had mine apart a few months ago to replace a factory bent main shaft. Once you split it apart you will see that it is not much to it. just be sure when you slide the tone ring off the main shaft there is a small pin in the shaft don't drop that. and don't take the oil pomp apart just clean the pickup out and the rest is simple.
Ditto.

Also be sure the tone ring is lined up with the pin before you secure the rear output flange. If not the pin get's mashed.

The case innards are virtually the same as a 231. Replaced all the seals, changed the chain and did yoke swaps on my two Rubi cases.
Simple units to breakdown and rebuild.

Baystate Jeepers
Deep Woods Extreme
New England 4 Wheelers
post #6 of 18 Old 10-18-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very cool, thanks for all the help guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

may as well revive an old thread. did you go through with the install, Jerry? how did it go?

do you have a link to the rebuild kit?

post #8 of 18 Old 03-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Necko2529

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead_Jed View Post
may as well revive an old thread. did you go through with the install, Jerry? how did it go?

do you have a link to the rebuild kit?

Are you hearing noises? Getting ready to tear it down?

If so, im in Brookfield, give me a shout. Id be glad to help you wrench on it.

Rokmen TT, Rokmen control arms, Novak NV241 cable shifter, JKS 1.25" BL + 1" MML.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

RIP "Prescott 19" Prescott Fire Department
post #9 of 18 Old 03-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529 View Post
Are you hearing noises? Getting ready to tear it down?

If so, im in Brookfield, give me a shout. Id be glad to help you wrench on it.
yep, if i leave o/d on there is a loud clank when slowing down as it kicks out of o/d. also have some noise while in 4x4. thought it might be the DS, but i've replaced the rear DS and rebuilt the front. its got 140k on it and i figure its time anyways

post #10 of 18 Old 03-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Necko2529

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I get an occasional clunk when shifting gears. Im not sure if its from my "stock" driveshaft or TC. Then again, it only happens on my "sloppy" shift i make sometimes in stop and go traffic which could be the problem...

Rokmen TT, Rokmen control arms, Novak NV241 cable shifter, JKS 1.25" BL + 1" MML.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

RIP "Prescott 19" Prescott Fire Department
post #11 of 18 Old 03-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

ya, i fear mine may be the trans as well, but the TC seems like an easier item to rebuild and I was planning on doing it anyways.

post #12 of 18 Old 03-15-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I eventually figured out the 241 is just noisier than the 231 is so I stopped worrying about it.

However, I just put it back together last night after running into the problem/situation described above in post #5. When replacing its output shaft flange, the tone wheel slid back & rotated so it didn't line up with the pin that it slides over. Took out the pin & put a new notch in the tone wheel when I tightened the output shaft nut with my impact wrench. Luckily the repair was only $2 for a new pin $7 for a new tube of RTV.

Edit 5/16/13: It looks like that was why my t-case was so noisy, it has been quiet ever since I did the above repair.

post #13 of 18 Old 06-20-2014, 09:56 PM
jeepmischief
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is this something that can happen when removing flange and switching to a 1310 cv yoke? Just installed a 241 that was supposedly good. Noise coming from the rear near the rear output bearing. I do see two colors of RTV as if the case has been apart. Said there was only 40,000 miles on donor jeep...
post #14 of 18 Old 06-20-2014, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmischief View Post
Is this something that can happen when removing flange and switching to a 1310 cv yoke?
Switching yokes is what triggered my problem when the tone wheel slid backward out of position. The yoke is what keeps the tone wheel from sliding backwards on the output shaft. When that happens it can rotate slightly so it won't properly engage it's positioning pin in the output shaft when you try to push it back up into position with the yoke.

post #15 of 18 Old 06-21-2014, 06:25 AM
jeepmischief
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like I may be tearing the back end apart on the 241 today. Pin source, dealer only?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.