Noise when in neutral with clutch out on a TJ. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Noise when in neutral with clutch out on a TJ.

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 04-28-2005, 04:19 PM   #1
Fat_Man

Noise when in neutral with clutch out on a TJ.

Has anybody ever had this noise? Like a rattling noise. I test drove one Jeep and it had this, took it to the trans shop and they said it was bearings in the trans. Supposedly it would be $1300 to fix. That jeep only had 40,000 miles on, was a 2000, but it had a 4 inch lift and 33's. Well, I ended up going with another Jeep, also 4 inches and 33's, but a 2003 and 28,000, and it makes the same noise. So is this something anyone else has experienced? It seems odd that two jeeps in a row had this, and that it could really be the same thing, especially as low mileage as the 03 is. And next question, is factory warranty voided with a lift? Because it still is covered by factory warranty, and if this is the case, and there really is a problem, then I can get it fixed with the warranty.

Any help is neccessary. I believe that the trans is the NV4550? 5 speed. According to the trans guy, they are a great trans, but for having issues with the bearings. Is he telling the truth here? I haven't seen anything on the boards about this, so help me out here. Thanks.

I posted this on www.jeephorizons.com too, but it is a smaller community, and hasn't got much response. Can you folks help?

Fat_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2005, 04:27 PM   #2
blackZZR

I have an 04 same sound, I think it is normal
about the lift. they have to warranty any part that is thiers for the warranty period except parts that were damaged by modifications, I am a good customer at my dealer, they excuse the fact that the only stock parts under my frame are the front axle, brakes and steering gear, everything else is aftermarket, I am responcible for the aftermarket, they are for the rest. Now if the only time you ever show up is for warranty work, not letting them do routine service or buy parts from them, then they may feel your parts are damaging the factory parts. I have found that a where the line is put, has a lot to do with where you draw it, not the dealer. Asking a dealer that you never have been into to warrantee parts that are being affexted by non factory parts is one thing, asking a dealer that knows you because you bought the jeep from them and let them make money seviceing it is another. I think you can see which one would be friendlier to you.
blackZZR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
Rob99
You come back...one year!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...neutral+rattle
Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
unrefined

I also have the cluth out in neutral noise. Something else Ive noticed lately is that when I turn off the ignition in neutral without the clutch depressed the motor kinda clunks to a stop whereas if the clutch is depressed it shuts off much smoother. Not sure if these are related problems or if they are a problem at all. Probably just normal Jeep noises.
[color=blue]Air Force Jeep Club Member #10[/color]
unrefined is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
Rusty the Scoob

All the NV3550s make that noise.... new fluid helps for a while but it comes back.
2001 TJ Sport 2" coil lift, 31" TrXus, swapped in 3.73s, ORFab cage, Aussie front locker, A to Z Fab rocker skids, JeepMedic Oil Pan Skid, JeepMedic LCA skids, Alloy USA D30 Seals, Warn Diff Skids, Cobra 75wx CB, Jeeperman prototype front bumper, 9.5ti, custom rear bumper, Rokmen frame tie-in kit.
Rusty the Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2005, 04:57 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty the Scoob
All the NV3550s make that noise....
So do all AX-15 trannies used in earlier TJs. It's just a combination of those trannies being meant for trucks plus (and primarily) a lack of soundproofing typically found in cars but not in Jeeps.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2005, 07:32 PM   #7
jonballi
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mine did the same. It did it from day one. Anyway...I went off roading and submerged the entire driveline when I was mudding. To be on the safe side I changed all the fluids. Once I changed the tranny fluid the rattle went away.

Queue the twighlight music.

jonballi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2005, 07:40 PM   #8
jlj3394

I get the same thing on my 04, just as I did on my 01. It's all good, just the tranny let you know its there.
jlj3394 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2005, 07:51 PM   #9
DrunkRoll

Thats comforting to know that I am not the only one with a chatty tranny!
DrunkRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2005, 12:24 AM   #10
AjRagno
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
M/T - Gear Train Sound in Neutral

NUMBER: 21-002-01

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may experience a transmission gear train sound when the engine is at idle and the transmission is in neutral with the clutch released. The sound may be described as a light gear rattle or gear growl. The gear train sound may appear to be coming from the transmission shifter and/or center console area. The sound may be more noticeable in higher ambient temperatures or as the transmission reaches its operating temperature. The gear train sound enters the passenger compartment by way of the transfer case range lever linkage. A revised torque shaft has been released to improve the isolation of the gear train sound.
The noise is caused by rattling linkages. Mainly it's the torque shaft and transfer case shift lever rod.

I had a u-joint fail this week. The front driveshaft came off at the transfer case and took out the shift lever rod. Since it's been gone, for the most part, so has the noise.

Many people confuse the noise for a bad throwout bearing. A bad throwout bearing screams when the clutch is depressed, not when it's out.

Last edited by AjRagno; 04-29-2005 at 01:22 AM..
AjRagno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2005, 07:29 AM   #11
Rusty the Scoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonballi
Mine did the same. It did it from day one. Anyway...I went off roading and submerged the entire driveline when I was mudding. To be on the safe side I changed all the fluids. Once I changed the tranny fluid the rattle went away.

Queue the twighlight music.

I did that, too. Used 3 quarts of the special Mopar fluid. It came back 5-10k later.

My buddy's GF's Libby has the same NV3550. I guess it's pushed up extra high into the body because the noise was so freaking loud it surprised even me the first time I drove it.
2001 TJ Sport 2" coil lift, 31" TrXus, swapped in 3.73s, ORFab cage, Aussie front locker, A to Z Fab rocker skids, JeepMedic Oil Pan Skid, JeepMedic LCA skids, Alloy USA D30 Seals, Warn Diff Skids, Cobra 75wx CB, Jeeperman prototype front bumper, 9.5ti, custom rear bumper, Rokmen frame tie-in kit.
Rusty the Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2005, 09:35 AM   #12
raytasch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Read and believe what Jerry B says. IT is the case of a medium duty transmission and the cut of the gears. The noise is not isolated and the "torque shaft" mod is an attempt to insulate the noise from getting to the body of the vehicle. There is no insulation to amount to anything so you hear the noise. New Venture makes the NV3550 tranny and DC purchased it. Don't bash Jeep engineers, they had nothing to do with it. If you think the tranny is coming apart drain the oil and run a magnet through the bottom of the drained oil and in bottom of the tranny. If you pick up filings you have a problem, other wise learn to live with the noise or buy a ricer. Guys, its a Jeep thing.
JMHO&C
ray
raytasch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2005, 09:56 AM   #13
jeep8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
So do all AX-15 trannies used in earlier TJs. It's just a combination of those trannies being meant for trucks plus (and primarily) a lack of soundproofing typically found in cars but not in Jeeps.
Mine does the same thing and I am pretty sure that older manual four cyl. have an AX-5. I may be wrong, it's an 01. It's interesting that seemingly most jeep wrangler trannies make the same noise. My jeep also does the 'clunking' after turning it off. I have always figured it to be normal since other people have had the same experiences.

01 TJ SE
jeep8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2005, 10:30 AM   #14
Fat_Man

Thanks all for the replies. Especially the link to an earlier discussion on the same topic. I searched around before I posted, but missed it somehow.

I like the idea of draining the oil and looking for metal, then if not, putting my mind at ease. It really doesn't bother me so much as a noise if I know that it isn't something that is actually going to cause problems.

Yeah, mine klunks when I turn it off too.

I am not too worried about this now, because another common thread I have seen is that those who do have worse problems usually shift rough and all. I have owned a Chevy 3 speed, Ford 5 speed in an Exploder and this Jeep (with standards, several more autos) and to me, anyway, this is the smoothest shifting manual I have driven on a regular basis. A few friends sports cars are smoother, but the Jeep isn't no sports car.
Fat_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2005, 10:49 AM   #15
mdot

mine clunks too, but most often when my rear wheels are going over a speed bump and I have teh clutch peddle pressed in. Is this the same noise you are all talking about?
mdot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.