JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   No trans, t-case, diff. fluid changes (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/no-trans-t-case-diff-fluid-changes-1447503/)

WranglerTJ05 12-08-2012 12:52 AM

No trans, t-case, diff. fluid changes

So not too proud of this, but my 2005 Wrangler X is at 61,000 and has never had the fluids of the differentials (front and rear), transmission (6 speed man), or transfer case changed.:facepalm:

Am I going to find some serious gunk down there when I change it out this week? Is it worth swapping the fluids, driving around a bit, and then swapping them out again (within a week or so) in order to get out as much stuff as possible? Is some sort of flush needed?

Haven't had any issues since I got it new. Regular oil changes at least. Just finished a 2 inch Skyjacker lift and got new 31s and figured the extra strain on the vehicle warranted some maintenance attention.

Thanks!

4banged 12-08-2012 05:30 AM

I don't think you'll find any gunk. If the 60k miles were normal driving I bet the fluids won't be bad at all. Changing the transfer case fluid is easy but you'll need a way to get the fluid in...either a pump or those tubes that screw onto oil quart as there's not much room under there. Same goes for the diff fluid. I always let the tranny place do the tranny flush for $99 and never had a problem...most guys on here prefer to do it themselves.

Dean7276 12-08-2012 05:32 AM

Your fluids should be pretty clean. Just drain, refill and your good. Shouldn't have any gunk in there at 61k. Some people (not on this forum) go the life of the vehicle and never change those fluids.

2jhanna 12-08-2012 06:26 AM

I agree with above, unless you've had water or other contaminants enter, or did any towing/etc to overheat/fry fluids, you should be fine.

--chris-- 12-08-2012 07:03 AM

I just had a truck that as far as I can tell never had the diff oil changed, it made it 184k miles before the bearings went. You should be good.

WranglerTJ05 12-09-2012 08:47 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. Definitely a relief to here all that!! I still plan on doing the maintenance, if anything just for the experience. I'll post some pics of the mess!!! Had to special order the 14mm and 17mm Allen sockets for the trans. Any reasons I should also order new plugs for everything (drain/fill for diff, t-case, trans)?

Also, those sockets are 1/2" but my torque wrench is 3/8". Would using an adapter screw up the required 30 ft-lbs torque on the plugs?

Thanks again

F9K9 12-09-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WranglerTJ05 (Post 14578659)
.........Also, those sockets are 1/2" but my torque wrench is 3/8". Would using an adapter screw up the required 30 ft-lbs torque on the plugs?........

I wouldn't be concerned. I personally don't use a torque wrench on that sort of thing and go by "feel" but, it wouldn't hurt to do it if, you are new at this sort of thing.

Using the FSM for torque values has gotten me into trouble with things like ring gear bolts. Sometimes the FSM is just flat off.

JEK3 12-09-2012 10:34 AM

You're not alone. I just changed my trans and TC fluids for the first time at over 50000 miles (diff fluids are next on the list). No issues, everything looked, felt, smelled, and tasted fine.

Jerry Bransford 12-09-2012 11:45 AM

I'd venture a guess that less than 1% of the cars & Jeeps on the road ever had the gear lube in their axles changed. So far as the transfer case and transmission go, it's only time for them to be changed now so no sweat that you haven't changed them yet... and yes of course change the axle lubes too.

BamaJeepman21 12-09-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEK3 (Post 14579061)
You're not alone. I just changed my trans and TC fluids for the first time at over 50000 miles (diff fluids are next on the list). No issues, everything looked, felt, smelled, and tasted fine.

:rofl:

I have no clue if my trans oil has ever been changed and I'm at 85k. Might need to work on that...

chadridesabike 12-10-2012 08:30 AM

I did the transmission (AX-15) fluid change recently. To put the new fluid in, I picked up one of these: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...9547&langId=-1

Make sure you loosen the fill plug before you loosen the drain plug. Get a large funnel for the drain side. Really easy.

sailsurf7713 12-10-2012 09:17 AM

My father always used to tell me "diff fluid is a lifetime fluid." Ran my 99 Dakota to 160k miles and never touched the transmission, 8.25 diff or coolant. Plenty of burnouts, hauling, towing, hard driving, etc. Never a problem. No need to worry.

Jeep on the other hand gets treated to regular fluid changes even if it can't haul, tow, drive hard, or dream of doing a burnout. :laugh:

TroubleNEO 12-10-2012 09:38 AM

Did a quick glance and didnít see anyone mention it so Iíll say it. Make sure you can get the fill plugs out before going and yanking the drain plugs.

What fluid did you get for the 6 speed? It likes the Mopar fluid or the Royal Purple Synchromax. I noticed my 6 speed was smoother after the Synchromax.

Iíll also bet money that your ATF in the TCase will look like brand new fresh fluid.

WranglerTJ05 12-10-2012 09:05 PM

Transmission and Transfer Case

3 Attachment(s)
Was able to get under the TJ today and replace the trans and t-case fluids. Royal Purple Synchromax for the 6 speed and NAPA ATF+4 for the t-case. I plan on using NAPA 80W-85W-90 for the differentials later this week.

I had no problems with the plugs on either thanks to some PB Blaster a day or two before. Lets just say that my "homemade" funnel for the transfer case drain hole didn't work out so well. Probably half a quart on the pavement. Probably why the Property Manager of the apartment complex came by to let me know that people can't work on the cars in the parking lot. :nono: Oh well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroubleNEO (Post 14584271)
Iíll also bet money that your ATF in the TCase will look like brand new fresh fluid.

The oil in both did not look bad at all, but I was a bit concerned with the amount of metal shavings on the magnet of the trans drain plug.

Attachment 523009

Attachment 523010

Any problem there, or is that expected after 7+ years of use and ground gears from 3 people learning stick shift.

Attachment 523011
Much better after cleaning it out. There really was a lot in there.

Jason 12-10-2012 09:10 PM

If there's no big chunks, that looks normal to me.

The time now is 12:42 AM.