No spark - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No spark

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 03-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
ewhitaker75
1999 TJ Wrangler 

No spark

First off, I have a 99 TJ 6cyl. MT that had a dead battery, so I jumped it, ran fine, got back home and shut it off and went to drive again. It started fine and the engine shut off abruptly but still had battery. The engine would spin but not start.

Replaced (so far) plugs, ignition coil, cap and rotor and crankshaft position sensor.

What is left to check? Is it a PCM issue?

Thanks in advance

ewhitaker75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
CRAWLING 98
Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewhitaker75 View Post
First off, I have a 99 TJ 6cyl. MT that had a dead battery, so I jumped it, ran fine, got back home and shut it off and went to drive again. It started fine and the engine shut off abruptly but still had battery. The engine would spin but not start.

Replaced (so far) plugs, ignition coil, cap and rotor and crankshaft position sensor.

What is left to check? Is it a PCM issue?

Thanks in advance
Have you reset the computer? When you crank the engine do you get any spark at all?
Check all the engine fuses.
Unread 03-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
88blkyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

is it trying to fire after your letting off cranking?

do the tjs also have the ignition module on the driver side wheel well that is prone to getting wet?
88blkyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
ewhitaker75
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Checked all fuses under the hood. How do you reset the computer? Also swapped the ASD and A/C relays to see if that was bad but no difference
Unread 03-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
greekboy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the camshaft sensor? Might be worth a try. Also check and see if you have any codes by doing the key sequence.
greekboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
madmechanic
2005 LJ Wrangler 

your tps could be done. they can get stuck in clear flood mode and this can cause a no start condition. but that disables injector pulse. are you sure you have no spark? the ignition module is part of the ecm.
madmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
ewhitaker75
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Took it to the shop finally, ended up having a short in the injector wiring that was on the same circuit as the crank position sensor therefore the sensor was bad allowing no spark.
Unread 03-26-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
Billyjoebob007
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Took it to the shop finally, ended up having a short in the injector wiring that was on the same circuit as the crank position sensor therefore the sensor was bad allowing no spark.
So if the crank sensor is bad there will be no spark coming from the coil ?

I'm trying to work on me roomies 97 , he said he hit a big water puddle and it died on him and now it will only crank and will not kick over. I tried shooting a bit of starting fluid in the air filter and nothing, i even tried pouring a bit of gas into the throttle body and nothing. I went to relieve the fuel pressure one the relief valve on the fuel rail and the gas did not spray out but only a little bit dripped out. I tested the ignition coil and there is not spark from the coil. Sooo, bad coil/crankcase sensor/fuel pump ???? We have let the vehicle sit and dry out for a couple days. Theres no moister inside the dist. cap and none in the air filter box.
Billyjoebob007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Correct, there will be no spark if there is no output from the crankshaft or camshaft position sensors. Have you tried reseating all the engine's electrical connectors, especially the ignition coil's 12v connector? Rinsing the connectors with WD-40 will get rid of any moisture inside, just shake the excess WD-40 out before reconnecting them.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
ewhitaker75
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you have a bad fuel pump. Rent a fuel pressure gauge from autozone. Should be around 45-55 psi. Have someone lay under the fuel tank while you turn on the key and you should hear it energize. If it works, I'd check the wiring for a short as well. Good luck
Unread 03-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #11
Billyjoebob007
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Sounds like you have a bad fuel pump. Rent a fuel pressure gauge from autozone. Should be around 45-55 psi. Have someone lay under the fuel tank while you turn on the key and you should hear it energize. If it works, I'd check the wiring for a short as well. Good luck
Yea i dunno though, I poured a bit of gas into the throttle body while some one was cranking it and it would not even try to kick over. I didn't i hear the pump prime when turning the key on , I will have to have someone turn the key while get back there and listen. I think it may be that crank sensor or the coil though.
Unread 03-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #12
Billyjoebob007
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Correct, there will be no spark if there is no output from the crankshaft or camshaft position sensors. Have you tried reseating all the engine's electrical connectors, especially the ignition coil's 12v connector? Rinsing the connectors with WD-40 will get rid of any moisture inside, just shake the excess WD-40 out before reconnecting them.
I tried a few, the connector for the crank sensor/the computer - took all three connectors off and 1 had some kind of fluid in it didnt look like water though, and i cleaned that up good, i did check the connector to the coil and it was secured, i will disconnect it and clean it though. To check trouble codes doing the key on/off trick how many times do you turn the key for that ? I turned it on/off three times then back on and the check engine light didn't do anything.
Unread 03-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #13
Billyjoebob007
1997 ZJ 

Humm ok i found the problem, its the ignition switch and the i think its called the ignition start module, are both bad. who would've thunk it .

Tags
1999 tj , electrical , ignition , spark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.