No rear track bar, does it matter? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No rear track bar, does it matter?

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 05-15-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
TJ_with_Tusks

No rear track bar, does it matter?

when reinstalling my rear track bar I broke off a bolt on the axle side. I ended up just leaving it off. It seems to drive fine and be stable. Do I have anything to worry about?

33" BFG AT's, OME HD lift, front airbag suspension, teralow 4:1 kit & supershort shaft kit, TW CV shaft, 4.10 gears, JKS body lift, track bars and quicker disconects, Warn 9.5ti, warn front bumper, garvin wilderness rack, and solid cast aluminum tusks,
TJ_with_Tusks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, what is keeping your axle centered and preventing it from shifting side to side?

You need your rear track bar unless you have triangulated uppers.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You absolutely need the trackbar on any TJ that has not had its suspension triangulated. Not only will the rear axle shift out to the side in a substantial maneuver, especially in an emergency, the control arms can be damaged when that shift happens as they are not designed to withstand that kind of side loading.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
wranglin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Not having a track bar is bad, very bad....
wranglin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
jeeptj19992001

Track Bars Are Over Rated, So Are Control Arms
Unread 05-15-2006, 02:14 PM   #6
TJ_with_Tusks

ok, glad I asked. I'll get on that.
33" BFG AT's, OME HD lift, front airbag suspension, teralow 4:1 kit & supershort shaft kit, TW CV shaft, 4.10 gears, JKS body lift, track bars and quicker disconects, Warn 9.5ti, warn front bumper, garvin wilderness rack, and solid cast aluminum tusks,
Unread 05-15-2006, 02:20 PM   #7
TJ_with_Tusks

oh wait. I'm an idiot. Big typo .. Its the sway bar that I don't have. The track bar is fine. Do I need the rear sway bar ? ??
Unread 05-15-2006, 02:24 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, ya need that too to help balance the f/r suspension. Plus it'll handle far better with it attached & functional. I had three Boy Scouts with me on the way back from an offroading trip where I had unknowingly broken one of the two rear antiswaybar links which disables it entirely. We all noticed and they all loudly (but with good humor) complained about how the TJ was swaying & supposedly making them "seasick". I kept stopping to look to see what had happened but didn't find the broken antiswaybar link for a few more days. The lack of a rear antiswaybar definitely caused a very noticeable degradation in the TJ's handling.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
jakeruner
1985 CJ7 

i took my rear sway bar off and i really cant tell the diff,
jakeruner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2006, 03:23 PM   #10
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Yep, ya need that too to help balance the f/r suspension. Plus it'll handle far better with it attached & functional. I had three Boy Scouts with me on the way back from an offroading trip where I had unknowingly broken one of the two rear antiswaybar links which disables it entirely. We all noticed and they all loudly (but with good humor) complained about how the TJ was swaying & supposedly making them "seasick". I kept stopping to look to see what had happened but didn't find the broken antiswaybar link for a few more days. The lack of a rear antiswaybar definitely caused a very noticeable degradation in the TJ's handling.
I've read that story now so many times. I feel like I could tell you the boys' names, what they ate that morning, and what they were wearing.

Just make it a sticky
Achped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.