No rear brakes!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No rear brakes!!

2003-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Dark Background wiOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Wheel Bearing & Hub Asse

Unread 07-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
unbreakable
1997 TJ Wrangler 

No rear brakes!!

I have bled the brakes and completely flushed out all the old fluid but I still have zero rear brakes. Hardware has all been replaced except for the wheel cylinders but I have a hard time believing that they would both be bad. Any Ideas?

unbreakable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
Dissst
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Have you check you proportioning valve , If might be triggered and not allowing fluid to the back wheels , this happens when there is a leak or loss of fluid pressure to the front or rear wheels , it prevents you from loosing all the brakes instead you only loose half , check your valve and make sure it's not tripped front or rear .

The valve is located just under the master cylinder and has 2 rubber caps ( 1 front and 1 rear ) pull them off and see if the needle valve is pushed out ( normal should be flush ) if its out simple press it back in , then slowly bleed the brakes ( harsh sudden pressure will trigger the valve ) so you might have to repeat a couple times until pressure equals out .

hope this helps
Dissst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've been fighting a no rear brake problem with my 02 for about a year now. I finally gave up and just drive the thing. Pedal has always felt fine, heres what I have replaced.

Master cylinder(new not rebuilt)
Proportuning valve (New from Stealer)
Wheel cyls (new)--Even went from 3/4 to 13/16 thinking that would help
Shoes (new)
Drums (new)
Rubber hose from line to axle (new)

No damage to any metal lines.

I only get a dribble of fluid when bleeding the rear brakes.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I know this might be a stupid question but...have the brakes been adjusted?
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
02OlllllllOTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

im having similiar problems. i checked my proportioning valve but mine only has 1 rubber cap. i pulled the cap and there was no needle sticking out. there is not another rubber cap. unless im looking at the wrong thing
Unread 07-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

how's the rear brake hardware look? How's your parking brake work? Did you properly adjust the brakes? If the star wheel in the drums isn't spinning smoothly, or the lever that locks the star wheel is bent, or you rarely ever back up (go in reverse), your rear brakes would be out of adjutment.
Unread 07-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
GringoLoco

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You'd know if one of your wheel cylinders was bad, you'd have brake fluid all over the place, it'd be pretty obvious
YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
GringoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
I know this might be a stupid question but...have the brakes been adjusted?
Mine are. I adjusted them up untill the wheel wouldn't turn then stuck a screwdriver in the hole to lift the adjusting arm and backed the adjusters off 3-4 clicks. My parking brake works fine. just no pressure to the rear when stepping on the pedal but the pedal feels fine.
Unread 07-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
wtroger
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Start breaking lines lose from the rear to the front until you get good fluid flow while doing a bleeding operation. You have a line blockage some where.
wtroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Done that been there. Even blew compressed air through all lines both ways. No blockage.
Unread 07-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #11
02OlllllllOTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i was just messsing with mine. my rear pass. side stops when i brake but the rear drivers side only slows down. i adjusted the drivers side so it would barely turn just to see if i could get it to stop at all. hit the brake and the same thing happened, pass side stopped and drivers side didnt. then i just let it sit in gear without pressing either the gas or brake and the pass side spun and the drivers side didnt move. then i activated my rear arb to lock both axles together and got both wheels to turn slowly. just bled all 4 lines. then i put the tranny in park and realized i could easily manually turn both rear tires. but ive never had a problem with it rolling in park. the front brakes dont do anything in park so how could this even happen? any ideas?
Unread 07-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #12
nikeo02
2003 TJ Wrangler 

When you were bleeding them, did you get a good stream out of both rear bleeders? If so, its either adjustment or wheel cylinders. If not, then you have an obstruction, either proportion valve or a bad/clogged line.
Unread 07-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #13
02OlllllllOTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeo02 View Post
When you were bleeding them, did you get a good stream out of both rear bleeders? If so, its either adjustment or wheel cylinders. If not, then you have an obstruction, either proportion valve or a bad/clogged line.
yea both rear line had a good flow.and wouldnt i have brake fluid everywhere if i had a bad wheel cylinder? i checked the proportion valve. it only had 1 rubber cap on it so i removed it to see if the needle was sticking out and it wasnt. but it was not flush either. i couldnt even see it actually. i stuck a small allen wrench in the end and couldnt really feel anything in there. it went in about a 1/2". is it bad?
Unread 07-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #14
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02OlllllllOTJ View Post
yea both rear line had a good flow.and wouldnt i have brake fluid everywhere if i had a bad wheel cylinder? i checked the proportion valve. it only had 1 rubber cap on it so i removed it to see if the needle was sticking out and it wasnt. but it was not flush either. i couldnt even see it actually. i stuck a small allen wrench in the end and couldnt really feel anything in there. it went in about a 1/2". is it bad?

No not if both cylinders are froze up.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #15
ElementX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

you might still have air trapped in the line that goes to the rear left cylinder. Are you continually pumping your brakes when you bleed or single pump and hold?

Tags
drum brakes

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.