No power and running rough. New cat. Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No power and running rough. New cat. Help!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
yoshi280zx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

No power and running rough. New cat. Help!

I have a 1997 4.0L TJ that is running really rough.

Here's the run-down.

A couple of weeks ago I heard a rattling around the transfer-case. My MPH went to crap, like 97 miles to the tank! I also smelled exhaust while I was driving and eventually couldn't get the Jeep past 35 MPH.

After jumping on the forum, I determined it was the catalytic converter. I just sold my welder about a month ago, so it was obvious I was going to have to take it in.

I called some muffler shops and they wanted anywhere from $600-$800 to replace the cat. Finally, I limped it to JeepMasters in Austin, TX and they replaced the cat for about $220.

I drove it out of the shop this morning and have the SAME problem! It doesn't rattle anymore (obviously) but the symptoms still exist. I was able to run it for about 15 minutes before it started giving me problems. Once again, I pulled in to the driveway with a rough engine and a Jeep that wouldn't go past 40MPH. What the heck is this? Is it the O2 sensor(s)? Which one? The check engine light is NOT on... This is my daily driver - please help!

James

yoshi280zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
jeepinjohn72
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'd have it scanned anyways to see if there are codes. Could be any of a number of things.
jeepinjohn72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalytic converter , o2 sensor , poor gas mileage , power loss , rough idle

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.