No Oil Pressure at start on my 2005 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No Oil Pressure at start on my 2005

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
gresmi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

No Oil Pressure at start on my 2005

Good morning everyone,

I have been doing some searching throughout the forum trying to find the same problem/symptoms as I'm experiencing on my Jeep. I found a thread which describes my problem almost perfectly but I've already tried the solution from the thread and I'm still experiencing the same problem, maybe even worse now.

I have a 2005 Jeep Rubicon with 100k on it. It has the 4.0 motor and fresh oil with a mobile 1 filter. Periodically it would have zero oil pressure (at the idiot gauge) at startup. This has only happened to me when I started the jeep and it didn't matter if the motor was hot or cold. My son claims it happened to him while driving but i'm wondering now if it wasn't working when he started the jeep and the buzzer went off after he was driving. Anyway, this has only happened to me at startup. I would start the jeep and the gauge would never register pressure. After a few seconds, the buzzer would go off and the idiot light to check the gauges would come on.

I did my research in the forum and determined I would change my sending unit. I bought the following sending unit from RockAuto:
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS PS404 (PS-404) Oil Pressure Sender / Switch $ 10.16
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...095&cc=1430906

I installed it over the weekend and started the jeep. First time I started it, zero oil pressure. I turned it off, started it again...and i had oil pressure. Next day, started it...zero oil pressure. This time i let it run for maybe a minute and also raised the engine RPM's to see if it would find the signal. I never did. I turned the jeep off and immediately started it back up...and i had oil pressure.

I bought the switch from RockAuto because my local O'Reilly's said it was a special order. Now i'm wondering if i should have bought the switch from my local jeep dealer?

Another interesting note. Before i installed the new sending unit I probably had the alarm go off a total of 4 times over a few months. Since i have put the new switch in I'm guessing I've had zero oil pressure at startup 6 out of the 8 times I've started the jeep. If the jeep starts with the gauge working it always seems to work, it has never lost oil pressure/signal after it has started the 2nd time.

This is a strange one for me and i'm hopeful someone has some insight. I'm going to see if i hear anything from the forum for a few days but as of now I'm planning on ordering another sending unit from the jeep dealer and replacing the oil and filter as both are easy and relatively inexpensive.

Winter hit Kansas yesterday...this is when i need the jeep to run!!

Thanks in advance to anyone who has read this.

Greg

gresmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

You are most likely not losing pressure. Your losing the signal from the sender. Get a sender for the dealer.
If you was not getting oil pressure you would have been hearing a rattling noise from engine.

I like to verify things like this by getting a CHEAP oil pressure gauge. They are about 10 bucks at any parts store. It has a hose and a dial gauge. You dont have to do anything fancy. Just remove the sender and install the new fitting with the hose for the dial gauge. Either get someone to crank jeep while you stand there and watch the gauge or bring it in the jeep with ya. Once installed crank jeep up. Watch for it to jump to pressure very quick. if it does not make sure the hose is not leaking. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/EQU0/6244/N0528.oap?ck=Search_N0528_-1_1134&pt=N0528&ppt=C0134

Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
gresmi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
You are most likely not losing pressure. Your losing the signal from the sender. Get a sender for the dealer.
If you was not getting oil pressure you would have been hearing a rattling noise from engine.

I like to verify things like this by getting a CHEAP oil pressure gauge. They are about 10 bucks at any parts store. It has a hose and a dial gauge. You dont have to do anything fancy. Just remove the sender and install the new fitting with the hose for the dial gauge. Either get someone to crank jeep while you stand there and watch the gauge or bring it in the jeep with ya. Once installed crank jeep up. Watch for it to jump to pressure very quick. if it does not make sure the hose is not leaking. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/EQU0/6244/N0528.oap?ck=Search_N0528_-1_1134&pt=N0528&ppt=C0134

Thanks for the reply,

I think i'll get a T fitting and install both the mechanical gauge and the sending unit. This way I can watch them both and not have the annoying buzzer going off.

Greg
1986 IROC-Z
Unread 12-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
Groove508
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just posted about have the very exact problem! Fresh oil and filter also. Did you figure it out??
Groove508 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
gresmi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove508 View Post
I just posted about have the very exact problem! Fresh oil and filter also. Did you figure it out??
Hi Groove508,

I haven't figured it out yet. My next step was to install a manual gauge to see what was going on with my pressure but haven't had the time to do it yet.

I have installed a new sending unit. Easy change and I thought I had it fixed but still experiencing the same issue. Seems to show 0 pressure 1 out of 10 starts maybe? I have even quickly turned the jeep off and right back on fast enough it kept running and the gauge sometimes works then. Tells me its an electrical issue but I want to confirm it with the manual gauge.

What I find strange is once it shows 0 at the gauge, it never comes off of it. I have let it run for a minute or so, even revving up the engine, and still nothing. There has to be oil pressure though or i'd hear the tapping. Strange!!

How many miles are on your jeep? How often do you get the 0 oil pressure? Is it always at startup?

Keep me posted if you learn more or if you figure out the problem.

Thanks,

Greg
1986 IROC-Z
Unread 12-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
gresmi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hi Groove508,

I haven't figured it out yet. My next step was to install a manual gauge to see what was going on with my pressure but haven't had the time to do it yet.

I have installed a new sending unit. Easy change and I thought I had it fixed but still experiencing the same issue. Seems to show 0 pressure 1 out of 10 starts maybe? I have even quickly turned the jeep off and right back on fast enough it kept running and the gauge sometimes works then. Tells me its an electrical issue but I want to confirm it with the manual gauge.

What I find strange is once it shows 0 at the gauge, it never comes off of it until I kill the power at the key and start it again. I have let it run for a minute or so, even revving up the engine, and still nothing. There has to be oil pressure though or i'd hear the tapping. Strange!!

How many miles are on your jeep? How often do you get the 0 oil pressure? Is it always at startup?

Keep me posted if you learn more or if you figure out the problem.

Thanks,

Greg
1986 IROC-Z
Unread 12-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
Groove508
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Same problem, I bought a 15 buck parts store sending unit and it was worse. I could flick it with my finger and it would work or unplug and plug back in and it would work. I picked one up at the dealership today, genuine Mopar and it seems to be fixed! It was only 30 bucks. Lesson learned. Unplug the switch and start your jeep up, of course you will find no pressure, start it again, it will show pressure! Unplugged! So, it's not working at all probably since it will do the same with no current going to it. Have you tried a mopar sending unit? My jeep is a 2005 and the dealer wanted my vin, said there were changes to it mid-year? Hope this helps?
Unread 12-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
Groove508
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just hit 90,000 on mine and it did it once or twice in the last 6 months but only in the morning. Just started doing it all the time in the last 10 days or so. Buy a mopar one and while your at it blow out the connector and shoot it with some contact cleaner.
Unread 12-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
gresmi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just hit 90,000 on mine and it did it once or twice in the last 6 months but only in the morning. Just started doing it all the time in the last 10 days or so. Buy a mopar one and while your at it blow out the connector and shoot it with some contact cleaner.
Thanks for the information. I too bought a cheap one at RockAuto. Seems like I can't win with that website, whenever I buy something there it seems to be a part I should have replaced with an OEM part...and when I don't use RockAuto people make fun of me for spending way too much money on an OEM part!!

As I was reading your reply I just remembered something. I haven't had my jeep very long but for the first 10 months I didn't have any issue at all with the oil pressure. I then let a friend borrow the jeep and, as a favor, he had it detailed when he brought it back to me. He had it detailed because he got the jeep very muddy. Regardless, it was a nice gesture and the jeep looked very nice. I wonder if something got wet while he was either in the mud or when the jeep was being detailed? I am sending a friend of mine a text now at the dealership to order a new part and we'll see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for the reply!!

Greg
1986 IROC-Z
Unread 12-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
Groove508
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Haha, too funny. It also dawned on me the other day that when I was going through this, I remembered power washing the engine bay not very long ago and thought maybe I too got something wet. Maybe my original unit was good all along and the connector got wet from time to time? Either way, go with the Mopar one and shoot that connector real good with contact cleaner as well spray some down in the cracks of that wiring harness too! Please update with any info on how it worked out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.