No More Cat? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No More Cat?

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-02-2003, 10:41 AM   #1
rdiller

No More Cat?

While working on cleaning the underside of my TJ this weekend, my buddy asked why I had put an aftermarket cat on when i redid the exhaust last fall.... I never thought anything of not putting it in.... but he recommended removing it.... are there any advantages / disadvantages of doing this?

rdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2003, 10:52 AM   #2
Owen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdiller
While working on cleaning the underside of my TJ this weekend, my buddy asked why I had put an aftermarket cat on when i redid the exhaust last fall.... I never thought anything of not putting it in.... but he recommended removing it.... are there any advantages / disadvantages of doing this?
you woudln't notice anything but the difference in sound on a TJ.
Unread 09-02-2003, 11:39 AM   #3
fitzz47
2013 JK Wrangler 

Because its not legal to drive on the road with out one.Maybe you don't drive on the road.
Unread 09-02-2003, 11:41 AM   #4
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have heard that it actually worsens performance, and is worse on the environment, plus I'm sure it would be way louder but not in a good way, probably sound like a tractor.

Also you could have a very thin wallet if the Feds found out about it. Way large fine if caught. I wouldn't do it IMO. Just keep your aftermarket one on there and stay legal.

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2003, 07:22 PM   #5
rdiller

Good points, even though we don't have emissions tests here in Michigan, I would much rather keep it legal. No need to run a risk for something, that from the sounds of it, will do me very little if any good... And gotta help out the environment when I can

THE CAT STAYS!!!

(thanks)
[COLOR=darkred]Can[/COLOR]-[COLOR=navy]Am[/COLOR] Jeep Club

Other ride: 99 Grand Cherokee
Unread 09-03-2003, 01:38 AM   #6
my_tj

my cat is in piss-poor shape. i know that it doesn't usually cause damage to the exaust, but the rattle is horrible. are there any good after-market brands?

oh, and sorry for asking so many questions

my_tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2003, 10:16 AM   #7
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm ordering mine next week. Going for a Random Tech along with all new Banks header and cat-back. From all the research I've done they look to be the best quality parts. Cannot find a cat with lifetime warranty but Banks has me covered on the rest of it.

HTH,

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2003, 02:00 PM   #8
Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shanks
Also you could have a very thin wallet if the Feds found out about it. Way large fine if caught. I wouldn't do it IMO. Just keep your aftermarket one on there and stay legal.
Unless your state has an inspection / registration law that requires you to keep your pollution equipment operable, so far as I know the federal law is with respect to manufacturing vehicles, selling vehicles, and tampering with or rendering inoperable the pollution control equipment.

IOW, merely owning a vehicle that fails an emissions test is not a violation of federal law.

However, your local speed shop is violating federal law if it disables your pollution equipement.

The law seems a bit vague on the point of an individual disabling the equipement on his own vehicle (as opposed to doing it as a business for others), and in any event, lacking a state insepction law, the feds would need probable cause to check your vehicle. And when was the last time you saw federal highway patrol cops?
Who would enforce this federal law?

Bottom line:
If your state doesn't have an inspection law, no one will care.
Unread 09-03-2003, 02:09 PM   #9
rdiller

I'm really not worried about getting caught with out one on a day to day basis.... Dakota makes a valid point.... what cop is going to crawl under the vehicle and check to see if there is a cat on it. But I go through customs at the Canadian border at least three times a week, and that usually involves checking under the vehicle. I wonder if the US agents could make a big deal out of it if they really wanted to....

Unread 09-03-2003, 02:58 PM   #10
jeep_olllllo_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I dind't remove my cat...but I did gut it There is not emmissions testing where I live in Texas and if anyone wants to look under the jeep they will see what appears to be a perfectly good catalytic converter. I really don't know how much of a performance gain I got from this mod, but my cat was rattling and clogging up at times so I had a good reason anyway. I'm sure I did get some gains from it though. It made the exhaust just a slight bit louder. As far as sounding like a tractor, lol...hardly. Now it sounded incredible when i had the the muffler off and just finished gutting the cat. That was a little too loud for the road though The only real downside I have noticed is that when I get close to redline in 2nd gear, it will backfire when I shift to 3rd sometimes. Not real loud or anything, but it's annoying nonetheless. I'd say if you're gonna do it, and you're crossing the border all the time, gut the cat as opposed to just going straight pipe. HTH.
jeep_olllllo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2003, 06:08 PM   #11
audie

Had to gut mine. Pieces were plugging the tailpipe, no cash for a replacement. Slightly louder, more power than a bad cat, but I don't think much if any gain over a functional cat. No noticable gain in mileage. Some backfiring when shifting, I think this is caused by pinhole leak in muffler along with unburnt fuel (from lack of cat). Pulled the plugs & seems to be burning on the lean side (again probably from lack of cat).
Unread 09-03-2003, 06:19 PM   #12
my_tj

how'd u gut your cat?

oh - is it hard to install a replasement?
my_tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2003, 10:25 PM   #13
Old_man_emu

Hello there, I have a 97 TJ, and I also had a problem with my CAT being noisy....so i decided to GUT it with a broomstick....I didnt notice any performance gains at all, I didn't notice anything but Louder muffler noise...and the noise didnt sound impreesive at all..it sounded dull and dead.

****Most Importantly****
There are 2 O2 sensors- one before the cat, one after the cat, once the CAT was removed my O2 sensor caused the " Check Engine light to illuminate as that happened the Jeep began to miss and hesitate....It turned out that having the CAT gutted caused the 02 sensors to foul up twice as fast as they normally would....

My advice.....Put a CAT on it no matter what. your gonna end up buying 2 new 02 sensors eventually, which in turn is the same price as a cat.

Brian.
Unread 09-04-2003, 07:00 AM   #14
rdiller

I don't have a second O2 sensor. Should I just take it to a muffler shop to have one put in?

Unread 09-04-2003, 07:56 AM   #15
BamaJeeper

I removed my CAT and noticed no difference in sound but a little in more in perfomance on my 94 YJ 2.5L. I had a Random Tech CAT but the POS failed after 6 months! I now have a piece of pipe in it's place that only cost me $10 to do myself from parts bought from Autozone.
Ditch the POS stock CAT because it's just gonna fail sometime soon.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.