No luck at Tires/Lifts forum - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 05-26-2005, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
godell

No luck at Tires/Lifts forum

I had planned on installing front disconnects on our new Rubicon when it arrives next month. So then I read the sticky about the Currie Anti-Rock product and got interested in that approach. Then I went to Stuís website this morning and read about Off Road Onlyís SwayLoc product and got real interested. Iím impressed, but Iím a little concerned about tire clearance issues. There is something to be said for getting right the first time.
FYI with gas prices as they are, this will not be our daily driver. A 2005 Subi Outback Sport (26 mpg) handles those chores. We are recently retired and have quite a number of road trips planned. There will be some long distances driven with the purpose of getting to some new off-road locations, so we need our Jeep to have good on-road manners. Iím wondering if we should start with the disconnects and later upgrade to the sway bar modification or just go big right from the start. Any experience on these products to be shared?
Recommendations, opinions and experiences welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-27-2005, 12:30 AM
1BLKJP

Sounds like either would do well for you. Just depends on the amount of coin that you want to spend. You can probably find a good set of disconnects pretty cheap from someone either on here or locally. And then if you get tired of connecting and disconnecting then you can move to the sway loc. Stu seems to really like it.

I personally run the Currie Anti-Rock myself, and run it on the loosest setting at all times. I just got used to the way it handles and don't drive it like a sports car.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-27-2005, 12:39 AM
55willystruck

Man, if you want the best of both worlds, that SwayLoc sure seems like the ticket. Stu has a great write-up, as you mentioned, and has also posted on here about the install, and before/after impressions both on and off-road. I would like to install this same unit on our rig, just haven't got the nerve yet to modify my new ARB bullbar! The SwayLoc/Currie Antirock use the front crossmember tube for their mounting location, and unfortunately, my ARB bullbar completely covers this area. I am currently debating the same issue-get some RE Gen II quick disconnects for a while, till I muster up the nerve to cut out the necessary sections to the ARB bullbar, or just suck it up and do it now.

Along with Stu, I believe Fritz runs the SwayLoc with great results-and has some great flexing shots, and one other member, who I'm sorry, I can't for the life of me remember at the moment-was also pleased with the unit.

Anyway, sorry I can't help you with your decision one way or the other-I think the SwayLoc is definitely the best way to go, but keep in mind-if you plan on any type of aftermarket front bumper, you'll want to either get one that leaves access to this crossmember, or plan to modify the bumper you choose if necessary.

Best of Luck with your decision,

Mike

edit-I made a post a while back concerning the antirock vs. swayloc. I don't remember the exact title, but there was definitely some good info in there you may want to check out. try a search for antirock vs. swayloc or something to that nature, and see what comes up.

post #4 of 20 Old 05-27-2005, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
godell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck
Man, if you want the best of both worlds, that SwayLoc sure seems like the ticket. Stu has a great write-up, as you mentioned, and has also posted on here about the install, and before/after impressions both on and off-road. I would like to install this same unit on our rig, just haven't got the nerve yet to modify my new ARB bullbar! The SwayLoc/Currie Antirock use the front crossmember tube for their mounting location, and unfortunately, my ARB bullbar completely covers this area. I am currently debating the same issue-get some RE Gen II quick disconnects for a while, till I muster up the nerve to cut out the necessary sections to the ARB bullbar, or just suck it up and do it now.

Along with Stu, I believe Fritz runs the SwayLoc with great results-and has some great flexing shots, and one other member, who I'm sorry, I can't for the life of me remember at the moment-was also pleased with the unit.

Anyway, sorry I can't help you with your decision one way or the other-I think the SwayLoc is definitely the best way to go, but keep in mind-if you plan on any type of aftermarket front bumper, you'll want to either get one that leaves access to this crossmember, or plan to modify the bumper you choose if necessary.

Best of Luck with your decision,

Mike

edit-I made a post a while back concerning the antirock vs. swayloc. I don't remember the exact title, but there was definitely some good info in there you may want to check out. try a search for antirock vs. swayloc or something to that nature, and see what comes up.
Mike,

You came through for me again! Thank you for the thoughtful nudge to the search function, I found all I need to know there (for now anyway). As a junior member I clearly still have my "training wheels" on. The courtesies from y'all are appreciated. BTW, loks like SwayLoc and Jeeperman for me.

A big wave back to ya!

Glenn
post #5 of 20 Old 05-27-2005, 07:55 AM
NetJunkie

You might as well do SwayLoc now. We just went from quick discos to SwayLoc. No reason to buy things twice if you don't have to. On road the SwayLoc is the same as stock. This is the big reason we didn't go AntiRock. Sure, you have your "Don't drive it like a sports car" people but sometimes things aren't in your control and you have to make an emergency move. I don't want the swaybar any looser than stock in that situation.

For the money over quick discos you get better off-road stability and you can go back and forth at the flip of a switch. I know that a lot of times we're on gravel roads between trails or on/off streets over a long weekend trip and we never reconnect between. Now there is no worries when going down gravel roads down the side of a mountain.

We have the ARB bumper. It cost us $40 to have a good local shop use a plasma custter and do a neat job of opening up the covers on the crossmember.

'04 Rubicon | Nth Degree 4.5" LA | ORO SwayLoc | ORO U-Turn Steering | 33x12.5x15 MTRs | 15x8 Streetlock Rims | AEV Rockers | ARB Winch Bumper | Warn XD9000i | Offroad-Technology Rear Bumper
post #6 of 20 Old 05-27-2005, 07:57 AM
55willystruck

Glenn-

Sorry about the "nudge to search" bit-I would have done it myself and posted that little "clicky" thing for you, but I'm not smart enough to know how to do that.

Anyway, hope you found the info you were looking for-Your post about this makes me more inclined to just say heck with it, and go modify my bumper to accomodate for the SwayLoc now. -I get brave for a few seconds, then make it as far as the tools, and just can't bring myself to do it yet. Oh well, soon enough I suppose. Makes it easier on the wallet waiting I guess-if that's justification enough?. One of these days.

Best of Luck,

Mike
post #7 of 20 Old 05-27-2005, 08:03 AM
55willystruck

NetJunkie to the rescue-there we go, he's the one I was thinking of! Sorry to hijack, but do you by chance have a picture of the section that was cut out on the Bullbar, on the driver side? I doubt much has changed between your '04 and my '05 model, and I think they use the same bullbar back to '97. I'm concerned with the angled bracing on the back of the bullbar, that it comes backwards a little too much-towards the front edge of the crossmember, so that when I cut back to that edge for SwayLoc room, I'm wondering if I'd also need to cut out a rectangular piece vertically out of the angled brace to get enough room for the SwayLoc arm to rotate-does this make any sense at all??? Also, is there enough clearance over the 1st steering gearbox head at the front of the rig?

Sorry for the bother, and Thanks for the info!

Mike
post #8 of 20 Old 05-27-2005, 08:23 AM
Baas

Currie Anti rock is the best.
My mate with his ZJ has the RE Q discos. Everytime before we wheel he has to hang under the Jeep and someone (usually me) has to rock the Jeep up and down to get them out. Then afterwards he has to reconnect with mud & muck all over the show. No thank you! I wish we could get Anti Rock for the ZJ.
On road the Anti rock behaves very well. I have mine on the softest setting and I have minimum body roll. As for disconnecting off road: Beware of cambers! Especially from 35 degrees. The Jeep just feels very Tippy.
As for Anti rock: It keeps itís composure with the cambers.

As for the sway lock: I can't comment on it but how does it reconnect when the Jeep is full of mud and muck? Just check that out.

Oh and another downside to disconnecting: Every idiot in other vehicles (not Jeeps) will yell something idiotic to you when you are hanging under the Jeep, like : "Trade it in for a Toyota!!" or something like that.

04 Sport
4" Currie lift with Anti-Rock
Rock Krawler 4 link rear
Skyjacker 2" body lift
Safari Snorkel
35" Procomp X-terrain
Mickey Thompson Classic lock
Aussie locker front & rear
4.88 gears
CV Drive shaft
4WD SYE
215 Ponies I6
post #9 of 20 Old 05-27-2005, 08:27 AM
linux24

Quote:
Originally Posted by godell
Recommendations, opinions and experiences welcome.

Thanks
Try this article for basic info about lifts, wheels, tires, etc...

http://jeep.us4.org/wheels/

linux24
Jeep newbies and novice mechanics go here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-27-2005, 08:32 AM
NetJunkie

No problem. We just put our SwayLoc on this week. I don't have a pic online of the cut but I'll take one for you. Don't worry about any other clearance. The arms are out enough they don't contact the bolt head on the steering box. They don't go back enough to hit the angled part of the bumper...I was wondering that too but I'm not the first with this setup and none of us have issues. The only thing you have to cut out is the area over the crossmember.

The SwayLoc was about the easiest thing we've installed. ORO had a problem with a few bushings that came with the kit so we needed a new one, but other than that it was real easy. What is your air source? We're using our PowerTank. I saw they now have a manual version too.

'04 Rubicon | Nth Degree 4.5" LA | ORO SwayLoc | ORO U-Turn Steering | 33x12.5x15 MTRs | 15x8 Streetlock Rims | AEV Rockers | ARB Winch Bumper | Warn XD9000i | Offroad-Technology Rear Bumper
post #11 of 20 Old 05-27-2005, 08:38 AM
NetJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baas

As for the sway lock: I can't comment on it but how does it reconnect when the Jeep is full of mud and muck? Just check that out.
It'll re-lock. Once you see the SwayLoc you wonder why no one came out with it sooner. The mechanism is VERY simple. You disengage the onroad bar using 100PSI or less of air. Once that supply is cut to reengage the onraod bar it uses a high pressure spring. A ram is forced in to a cutout of the "petal" arm that's connected to the onroad bar. The cutout isn't so tight that mud bothers it.

The SwayLoc is the best of both worlds. You get AntiRock-like performance offroad and stock performance onroad. You go back and forth with the flip of a switch which is nice between trails or going back/forth to camp/hotel on long weekends.

post #12 of 20 Old 05-27-2005, 10:00 AM
Fritz R.

As mentioned above I have the Swayloc and think it is great, best of both worlds! I have run discos, Antirock and now the Swayloc. For a rig that will see alot of highway travel the Swayloc is the best option IMHO. The jeep may not be a sports car, but I would like it to handle as good as possible. I don't like to compromise when it is not nessesary. For me the antirock was a compromise in onroad handling. It did kick *** offroad though! With the Swaylock I can have kick *** offroad performance, and good highway manners.

I have not had any tire clearance issues with the swaybar. I run 33x12.5 tires on 15x8.5 rims with 3.75 backspacing (IIRC).

Here is a wimpy posser picture. Only one I have with the Swayloc.

BTW, the flex is not maxed out.

Fritz

'97 TJ, 4.0L, AW-4, Flipped D300/4:1, ARB's, D44, Swayloc, RK LA, PC coils, Rancho 9000's, 33x12.5 Trxus, etc.
post #13 of 20 Old 05-27-2005, 11:03 AM
2k3r1

If you can afford the Off Road Onlyís SwayLoc product then get it by all means!

2000 TJ Sport, 4.0L, 5-spd, RE 3.5" with all 8 adj arms and adj trackbars with 35"s, D30 w/ Lockright, 8.8 rear axle, sye and CV driveshaft, M.O.R.E. 1" BL and MML, IPF headlights w/ H4 FATBOY bulbs, PSC power steering skid, rock-it man rockers, uniden pro 520xl WITH PA :)
Future mods: 4.88s and ARBs?, belly up, dif guards, Gastank Skid.
post #14 of 20 Old 05-27-2005, 03:20 PM
55willystruck

NetJunkie-

Thanks for the info-if it's not too much trouble, I'd love to see a pic of how much was cut on the driver side. I checked my bumper again today, and it sure looks like the angled section in the back covers about a 1/2" of the crossbeam opening. There is probably only 2" from the back edge of the bullbar, to where the angled piece meets. Anyway, if it's not a great deal of trouble, Yeah, I'd love to see it.

Thanks again for the info!

Mike
post #15 of 20 Old 05-30-2005, 08:05 PM
NetJunkie

I haven't forgot. We've been out testing the SwayLoc all weekend.

I should have pics tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.