No heater! exhausted my options. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No heater! exhausted my options.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 11-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

No heater! exhausted my options.

Hey everyone. I got a few questions about TJ heaters. I just don't understand what could be the issue. I've googled forums and done most of what I've been told to do. I have a 02 wrangler with the I-6. The heater only blew luke warm. I wasn't worried because it was summer time. Instead of being proactive and fixing it. I am now freezing every morning. So here's the run down. It was blowing luke warm. Warm enough to get the cabin comfortable with a hoodie on during 50ish degree weather. Well my engine was having trouble warming up. It threw a "engine staying cold to long" code. I replaced the thermostat and now it heats right up and the code cleared itself. Now I have no heater at all. The thermostat is in the right way. I back flushed the heater core and burped the system.

This is what is striking me as odd. When I remove the small cap on the line going to the heater core there is PLENTY of water movement. It will spray out of the cap. However, on the radiator. There is no movement. The jeep can be at 210 and I can open the radiator cap. The fluid is hardly noticably moving. Either way, the heater core bypasses the thermostat. So even if its a dud and not opening the heater should still work. The jeep never over heats. The heater core lines both have pressure and get hot. I'm out of ideas. Anyone know a possible fix or maybe a decent 12v heater I can buy? Thanks for the help.

motoxracer801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
GSP
2006 TJ Wrangler 

remove both core lines at the engine, pressure flow water both directions, fill the core with CLR for 4-5 hours or overnight and flush both directions
GSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
redclayTeeJay
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had a weak heater core, both lines were hot, and it blew luke warm air also. I flushed it out and nothing happened. But I recently flushed it, put some simple green in the core for a few minutes, and then blew it would with compressed air. It puked BIG TIME all over me and the front of the jeep. Nasty brown stuff... I did that process about 2-3 times, and then flushed it out with the hose for 5 mins. Now it works great. Don't forget to use the hose, and air compressor blowing both ways.
redclayTeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When I flushed mine. A bunch of Brown water gushed out. The water flow both directions was good. When I hooked it back up both lines had water in them. They were both hot. The main line had great pressure but the second one I'm unsure. So I'm thinking water is in fact moving through the heater core. Could it be the blend door? Is it possble that 90 percent of the core is plugged but allowing water to still move quickly through it? Wouldn't I have some heat? This morning I had none at all. Started cold and 30mins later shut it off blowing cold. This coulnt be a huge problem. There isn't much to a heater system..... is there?
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds more like there is something wrong with the flaps directing the air. If you have good flow through the core and the coolant is full (when it's low you get squat for flow through the core) then it's not likely the core itself. I've seen some posts here where someone found one of the directors not actuating so all or mostly cold air was being blown into the cab.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If both heater hoses are hot then you have a blend door problem. If ones hot and the other cold the core is still plugged up.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, bought som CLR and let it soak for a couple hours. Didn t work. Now I appear to have a leak in my radiator though. Where is the blend door located.
Unread 11-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Coyoteon2
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxracer801 View Post
Where is the blend door located.

Passenger side, under Dash, next to Transmission Hump → Center of Cabin.
You'll see the Actuators, watch them for movement while operating the HEAT Control.

Last edited by Coyoteon2; 11-08-2013 at 01:08 PM..
Coyoteon2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
Coyoteon2
2001 TJ Wrangler 

May Help ya out.

Passenger side next to Transmission Hump under Dash

IF YOU NEED TO REPLACE the Actuator, any Parts supply should have it for around $35.00. AND THE part you would need
would be → DORMAN Part # 604020

Last edited by Coyoteon2; 11-08-2013 at 01:08 PM..
Coyoteon2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #10
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't had the chance to actually check the actuator yet. I just wanted to run this by yall. Ocassionally when I am driving and I round a corner. Or sometkmes when I crank the a/c up. I will hear a "fumbling" noise. It sounds like broken plastic bouncing around inside the vent. It sounds like its on the far left, driver side vent. That particular vent doesn't have its directional airflow adjusters in it. They broke out. I always assumed that it was probably one of those down in the vent. Well my real question hear is. How do I know that the door its self isn't actually broken. In other words the actuator moves but the door inside is snapped. How can I tell if that's the case? Thanks
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, had the chance to mess with it. The blend door is working. What I did notice is that the cap on the Inlet side to the heater core can be removed while the engine is up to temp. No coolant comes out anymore. I also noticed at rhe beginni g of the hose its hot. Towards the heater core its hot but not as hot. Could this be a bad water pump? If the pump is bad why isn't the jeep overheating?
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sometimes convection will move the coolant enough to keep it cool. The model t ford did not have a water pump. Sounds like you. Need to pull the pump
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #13
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Are you certain it was the inlet side? I believe the inlet side is the side that comes from the thermostat housing, what I call the upper heater core hose as it is above the lower, outlet side that returns to the engine.

If it was truly the inlet side then that is, well, something . You should be overheating because I believe this means either you aren't pumping water or your thermostat is not opening. I don't think it would be something as simple as low coolant level.

If it was the outlet side then your core is blocked, not allowing flow.
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Its definetly the upper heater core line. I can remove the little cap on it. At first coolant will over flow for like a split second. After that the coolant is just sitting. This is with the motor running and at 210. Also the upper radiator hose on the passenger side has no fluid in it. No movement in the radiator. Nothing. The jeep isn't over heating at all though. I drive it daily.
Unread 11-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well slap grandma in the face I wouldn't think it was possible.

I'm flabbergasted you aren't overheating while driving. Sitting still maybe I can see, but driving down the highway with no coolant flow and sitting at 210 is too much for this brain to handle.

Well, there's yer problem.

Tags
heater

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.