No crank on Engine. Help! - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 07petersonj

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-14-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
07petersonj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

No crank on Engine. Help!

Hey, a week ago my 02 TJ just stopped starting out of nowhere. When I turn the key all electronics come on and I only hear one click. Starter is 7 months old, battery is 1 year old, the ignition switch and actuator pin are in great shape (just checked them), starter relay seems to work fine. I'm assuming this leaves some sort of power issue but I'm not all that familiar with diagnosing with a voltmeter. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-14-2017, 01:07 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Turn your headlights on and get out to see if they're at full brightness. Then have a helper turn the ignition switch to Start and see what happens to the headlights... do they dim or go out, or do they stay at full brightness? Knowing if the headlights dim or remain at full brightness when the ignition switch is turned to Start will help to diagnose the problem.

Have you tried jump starting it?

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-14-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
07petersonj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The lights dim when I turn the key and hear the click. I also checked to make sure the starter is in fact still good and it is. still not sure what's going on

post #4 of 12 Old 08-14-2017, 05:26 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07petersonj View Post
The lights dim when I turn the key and hear the click. I also checked to make sure the starter is in fact still good and it is. still not sure what's going on
That makes me think very weak battery or bad/corroded/dirty/loose battery connection. And the latter can cause that exact symptom more easily than many would guess. So the first thing I'd do is physically remove (don't just eyeball them and think they look ok) both battery connections and wire brush them and the battery posts. Then reconnect them tightly enough that you can't move the connectors around on the posts even with considerable hand pressure.

If that doesn't help, remove the battery and take it down to have it "load tested". Load testing is the only way to test the battery and know its true health.

Being able to jump start the Jeep without problem with a known good battery would confirm the two above described possibilities.

post #5 of 12 Old 08-15-2017, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
07petersonj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jerry. Appreciate the help. I'm going to take the terminals off later today and clean everything down before I attempt to jump it. The only reason I haven't done this so far is because it "looks" clean but there's clearly some sort of power issue so hopefully I can get her going again.

I'll keep you posted!
post #6 of 12 Old 08-15-2017, 12:23 PM
Scarfist
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just had the same issue with my sons 2002 jeep. Exhibited the same behaviour you describe. I sprayed some electronics cleaner in the keyhole and around the key cylinder. Now has started 10 out of 10 times. Drove it around, restarted it a couple more times and have not had any other issues.

I'm too old to play with Lego's, so I got a Jeep. 97 TJ club member
post #7 of 12 Old 08-15-2017, 01:16 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfist View Post
I just had the same issue with my sons 2002 jeep. Exhibited the same behaviour you describe. I sprayed some electronics cleaner in the keyhole and around the key cylinder. Now has started 10 out of 10 times. Drove it around, restarted it a couple more times and have not had any other issues.
Likely just a coincidence since the key lock mechanism you were able to spray the cleaner into is separate from the enclosed ignition switch module where the electrical connections are made.

post #8 of 12 Old 08-15-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
07petersonj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Cleaned the terminals and jumped it. Started right up. I'm going to do a load test on it in the next few days to make sure the battery is actually good but it's only a year old so it should be. Most likely I just had some weak connections that created a loss in power to the starter.
Thanks for the help Jerry!!
Jerry Bransford likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 02:22 PM
Scarfist
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Likely just a coincidence since the key lock mechanism you were able to spray the cleaner into is separate from the enclosed ignition switch module where the electrical connections are made.
The issue came back but now it will not start when it is hot 85+ outside. When it cools down it starts like a champ. So weird.
Going to replace the ignition switch module.

post #10 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
07petersonj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

replacing the ignition switch isn't that costly (you can get the part on amazon for like $17) but also check to make sure that the actuator pin is in good shape while you're in there. That's the part that goes into the ignition switch.

Also, I definitely recommend just cleaning everything with a wire brush and attempting to jump first. Sounds like there's some sort of power issue with yours as well which will most likely not be solved by replacing the items under the steering column.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Scarfist
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It was the actuator pin. When I pulled the ignition switch off, pieces of the pin fell to the floor. It looked exactly the same as the broken one in this YouTube vid.
Now I have more parts to buy.

Update:
It is fixed (until it isn't) and starting without issue.

post #12 of 12 Old 08-18-2017, 09:06 AM
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

As a workaround what you can do if in this type of situation is:
1. Put into park/neutral
2. Put key into ignition and set to run
3. Pull Starter relay in PDC
4. take small wire and short the farthest to driver side hole in relay to farthest on passenger.

It should start

Machete don't tweet
- Machete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.