No 3rd brake light won't pass inspection? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > No 3rd brake light won't pass inspection?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 01-31-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
RVA_TJ06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

No 3rd brake light won't pass inspection?

I haven't had one on in years. My tire carrier doesn't have a spot where the factory could have fit. I had a guy doing my state inspections but no longer in the area. Took it to the dealer and they said it won't pass without the brake light. Anyone have an ideas on a 3rd brake light option? I was thinking of

and fitting it into the lower valence of the tailgate.. Anyone have any ideas?

Unread 01-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Contra
1997 TJ Wrangler 

bummer. they are not required to pass here in my county, I do inspections as well
post up a pic of the rear of your jeep and we will try to give you ideas
Unread 01-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

As long as it is the proper height and connected to the brakelight power circuit almost any red light will do. Mine is made from a foam cupholder and a trailer LED. It fits in the center of the spare tire.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
Rubikahn

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here's a link to a write up for a very clean looking install. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/...illing-452469/
OME ZJ/LJ lift, 33" MT MTZ on AR-23 wheels, front and rear JKS trackbars, 1" seat risers, MORE 1" BL and MML, factory Ipod adapter. Light khaki jeep club #72
Rubikahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
stuff2c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i have one in the center of my wheel as well... fairly simple once you get a round lite. only down side is i can't use my bike carrier anymore, it had a permanent piece that stuck out though the hole . that reminds me i need to find a hitch one on Criagslist

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkRed"][COLOR="White"]If you are not a Jeep Forum Supporter maybe you should reconsider... It's already saved me 10x what my Supporter membership cost me.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE="5"]"There is great need for a sarcasm font"[/SIZE]
stuff2c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

$3 Advance auto light held in place with silicone just to pass inspection in that dreaded Va state and their inspections.

TheBoogieman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
Best4x4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Go somewhere else besides the dealer. The reason they said you'd fail was because they know it came with a 3rd brake light. Go to an independent inspection place where they don't know Jeep's all that well. Worth a shot anyways.

I know it worked for a friend of mine. He had a YJ Body on a TJ frame and they would have had to run an OBDII test on it since it's an 05 TJ really (CEL light is on due to some YJ/TJ modifying). He went to an independent inspection place and they didn't run an OBDII test on it because they thought it was truly was YJ (with coil springs all the way around it lol).
05 Electric Lime Green LJ with a 4spd Auto, 2.5inch Suspension Lift, OME Shocks, OME Steering Stabilizer, 32inch BFG M/T's on 17inch Moab's using Spidertrax Spacers, UCF Aluminum TC Skid, Novak Cable Shifter, Brown Dog MML, Rokmen 1/2 BL, Banks CAI, Diehard Platinum Marine Battery, JW Speaker 8700 LED Head Lights, Safari Nets, G.E.A.R Overhead Console/G.E.A.R Tailgate Storage, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn Gas Tank Skid, Mopar Rock Crawler Rear Bumper, Warn XD9000i Winch with Warn Wireless Remote, and a Uniden 880 CB Radio
Best4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

Third brake lights have been around to long for a place to "not know".
Unread 01-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

In pa you only need 2 brake lights so if one goes out you can still pass inspection but they will tell you yuh need to replace the light bulb. Its more of a back up just incase than anything.
Unread 01-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
VTJeePTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yep I failed in VA one year for no 3rd brake light. Rigged up a temp light to get it pass then took it back off. Took it to a different place last two years in a row and passed without it (knock on wood). Either way, it shouldn't be too difficult to rig up something temporary (or permanent). Tractor supply has a pretty good variety of different size LED lights that should work fine if you find a way to mount it. With my tire carrier, I just used a round LED that fit in the hub area of the spare wheel where the center cap would normally go. Worked fine but I eventually pinched the wires and haven't wired it back up since then.
Unread 01-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #11
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSooNmonkey View Post
In pa you only need 2 brake lights so if one goes out you can still pass inspection but they will tell you yuh need to replace the light bulb. Its more of a back up just incase than anything.
Code actually only addresses the two side brake lights (both must work)
(e) Other required lamps. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall have at least one red stop lamp on each side of rear of vehicle, which shall be illuminated immediately upon application of the service brake. http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...5/s175.66.html

Then again further down the code is the following vague statement about lights:

(9) Check the lamps and lenses and
REJECT IF one or more of the following
apply:
(i) An exterior bulb or sealed beam, if
originally equipped or installed, fails
to light properly, except ornamental
lights.

A missing third brake light would obviously "fail to light" so...
Unread 01-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #12
stuff2c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

we just put every piece of ***** that rolls on the roads here in floriduh. just lucky i guess

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkRed"][COLOR="White"]If you are not a Jeep Forum Supporter maybe you should reconsider... It's already saved me 10x what my Supporter membership cost me.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE="5"]"There is great need for a sarcasm font"[/SIZE]
stuff2c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whybu1 View Post
Code actually only addresses the two side brake lights (both must work)
(e) Other required lamps. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall have at least one red stop lamp on each side of rear of vehicle, which shall be illuminated immediately upon application of the service brake. http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...5/s175.66.html

Then again further down the code is the following vague statement about lights:

(9) Check the lamps and lenses and
REJECT IF one or more of the following
apply:
(i) An exterior bulb or sealed beam, if
originally equipped or installed, fails
to light properly, except ornamental
lights.

A missing third brake light would obviously "fail to light" so...
Yeah but not many inspection garages here are to the letter. If it isn't insane and it is safe you are good to go, if you do something retarded then you have an issue. IE: cutting off your roof to your cherokee haha.

As for the 3rd light, I have never had one burn out (knock on wood) but they look at the main lights. The 3rd light is more of (I have 3 brake lights and your ******* didnt' see any of them?!?!) kind of thing. If it fails to light or wasn't present when the vehicle left the factory there is nothing to worry about.
Unread 01-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
rob78
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I ended up with a Delta 3rd brake light.

Kind of a pain in the *** griding down the fittings so it would work in the lug holes of a Moab wheel, but they do work and are unobtrusive.
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #15
john NC
1979 CJ5 

just get a 2" or whatever size light it takes to fit in your spare where the center cap goes from an auto parts store, mine was a trailer light i think. drill a hole in the factory spare tire carrier for the wire. solder or crimp the wires from the original 3rd brake light to that, stick it in the spare tire, and you should be good to go.

it's passed inspection 3 times
john NC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.