Newly installed U Joints seem stiff.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Newly installed U Joints seem stiff....

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 05-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
davenay67
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Newly installed U Joints seem stiff....

I am in the process of replacing all of the U joints in the front driveshaft. After installing the U joint at the front of the driveshaft, it seems stiff to move by hand. It's not notchy or anything like that, it just seems to take a bit of effort to move by hand.

Is this normal..?? Would it feel better if it were attached to the front axle and then moving the driveshaft..?? Is this expected when first installed, will it loosen up, or settle a bit when run for a few miles..??

The replacement job went (apparently) smoothly, quickly and relatively easily. I just want to make sure that everything appears fine and normal.

Cheers.

Dave.

31x10.5 tyres
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #138
187,000 miles and counting....
davenay67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Sounds normal, they might need to break in, and for the grease to warm up abit before they move freely.
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenay67 View Post
I am in the process of replacing all of the U joints in the front driveshaft. After installing the U joint at the front of the driveshaft, it seems stiff to move by hand. It's not notchy or anything like that, it just seems to take a bit of effort to move by hand.

Is this normal..?? Would it feel better if it were attached to the front axle and then moving the driveshaft..?? Is this expected when first installed, will it loosen up, or settle a bit when run for a few miles..??

The replacement job went (apparently) smoothly, quickly and relatively easily. I just want to make sure that everything appears fine and normal.

Cheers.

Dave.
Did you set the caps back against the snap rings?
Unread 05-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
davenay67
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Did you set the caps back against the snap rings?
I did indeed do this. Is it possible to set the caps too far in to start with, and would they seat themselves over time if this were the case. Given the tight tolerances of the U joints, I can't see there being a lot of margin for error here..??

Not knowing how newly installed joints should feel, I am being cautious on the first timne around. The fact that all the joints feel the same is either a sign that things are fine, or I was able to screw up the job equally on all 3 U joints....!!

Dave.
31x10.5 tyres
Unread 05-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenay67 View Post
I did indeed do this. Is it possible to set the caps too far in to start with, and would they seat themselves over time if this were the case. Given the tight tolerances of the U joints, I can't see there being a lot of margin for error here..??

Not knowing how newly installed joints should feel, I am being cautious on the first timne around. The fact that all the joints feel the same is either a sign that things are fine, or I was able to screw up the job equally on all 3 U joints....!!

Dave.
There's not a lot of tolerance, nor can there be. If it's off even slightly, the shaft will not be spinning on centerline and will vibrate itself to death in short order.

So, from too tight and binding on the ends of the pins to just right is not discernible to the naked eye. Just tap below the yokes to set the caps back and if it moves freely, it's likely good to go.
Unread 05-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

Just to be safe, I'd take the U joints back off and double check that none of the needle bearings have gotten dislodged. If all looks good, you're good to go.
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavic View Post
Just to be safe, I'd take the U joints back off and double check that none of the needle bearings have gotten dislodged. If all looks good, you're good to go.
No need. You can't get the snap rings in if one of the needles has fallen over.
Unread 05-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
davenay67
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

I am going to try gently tapping around the yokes tonight and see if this has any effect on the feel of the installed joints....

Dave.
31x10.5 tyres
Unread 05-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

One thing I do after installing a new u-joint (or re-installing a joint) is to take a steel mallet and give the yoke shoulders a couple swift, firm smacks. Tends to get everything set right with the u-joint caps and reduce any binding that might be there from pressing the joint caps in. So far this has worked beautifully for me and I believe it's actually mentioned in the FSM as an "official factory u-joint installation procedure".
Unread 05-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #10
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
One thing I do after installing a new u-joint (or re-installing a joint) is to take a steel mallet and give the yoke shoulders a couple swift, firm smacks. Tends to get everything set right with the u-joint caps and reduce any binding that might be there from pressing the joint caps in. So far this has worked beautifully for me and I believe it's actually mentioned in the FSM as an "official factory u-joint installation procedure".
x2...
Unread 05-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #11
davenay67
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
I did exactly this on both the U joints installed so far. The one at the transfer case end (CV joint) freed up beautifully and is now as smooth as butter. The other one at the front differential end was still stiff though.

Given that I have the HF tool, joints are a real easy job to remove/install, so I took out the stiff U joint and re-installed it. No difference, still a little stiff after the second install also. It is perfectly fine until the very last push needed to actually get the snap ring located in the groove.

I now actually know it's a little on the stiff side. Not sure how big a deal this is at this point, and not sure how to proceed. I'm wondering if it's worth it trying a new U joint in there to see if that makes a difference..??

Dave.
31x10.5 tyres

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.