Newer TJ Half Steel Doors?....or Bestop 2 Piece Soft Doors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Newer TJ Half Steel Doors?....or Bestop 2 Piece Soft Doors

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
sweetguardian00
1946 CJ2A 

Newer TJ Half Steel Doors?....or Bestop 2 Piece Soft Doors

ok, ive seen many TJ's wheeling around with half doors, but no newer ones? whats the deal?, did Jeep even produce them? can i buy them? , and im debating getting the Bestop 2 piece soft doors, but it says that none of the colors will match my factory softtop? what is my factory softop color, not just black, but which colors will match it. (my tj is yellow)?

1984 C-10 6.2/SM465
Yeah it's a Diesel
sweetguardian00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

You can look on ebay, I found a set last year that I have to paint to match my Jeep. Figure on ~500-650 for a set. TJ doors have the pocket on the interior panel, YJ doors don't, YJ doors will fit but the latch doesn't work on a TJ. Too bad the YJ doors seem to be much cheaper.

That being said just before I got the doors off of ebay I ordered a set of 2 piece soft doors. I liked them so much that I never bothered to get the metal doors painted.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten
'56CJ, '61 Wagon, '51 Pickup, '07 JK 4dr

daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
Artea
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I guess you would consider mine an old TJ, but I have a 2000 that is solar yellow with the half doors. I just ordered a set of full doors however, and if you are looking to get a set of half doors I might sell you mine when I get my full doors. Let me know if you are interested.
Artea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
MB98XJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artea View Post
I guess you would consider mine an old TJ, but I have a 2000 that is solar yellow with the half doors. I just ordered a set of full doors however, and if you are looking to get a set of half doors I might sell you mine when I get my full doors. Let me know if you are interested.
I have a solar yellow 2000 tj with full doors. looking to purchase some 1/2's... PM me with the price you want.

JEEP CHEROKEE LIMITED 1999 BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR 4X4
MB98XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #5
hammer99tjdd
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have full hard doors and full soft doors. Soft doors are great bacause you can store them in the back behind the seat and put them on if the weather gets bad.
re your question about color, cant you go w/ black or paint them?
99 wrangler 4.0 5speed. 31" tires, and some other things. Colorado Jeep member #78
hammer99tjdd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
tjmas
2012 WK 

I run with the full hard doors until the weather gets nicer, and then have the two piece soft doors. I have just recently upgraded from a '97 2.5L to an '05 4.0L. I'm assuming the doors will still work, and hoping that I don't need new soft doors.

As was previously stated, the soft doors are great to break apart and throw behind the seats, and still have room for gear. I ran is that way for most of the spring, all summer and then the fall too. The coolest and handiest thing I saw for the jeep doors, is the hitch attachment to carry the doors. is has the holes to just slide in the door pins and latches to make sure they don't swing all over the place. I believe I saw it in Quadratec or 4wd magazine.

TJMAS
tjmas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

As far as color, your color should be Black Diamond (#35). I just went through this when I ordered mine. The doors come in black diamond and it should be the same as your top. With only a couple years of fading, it should look fine.

97-02 was black denim
03-06 was black diamond
If you have a Bestop sailcloth rat in Black (01), then it's the same as the black diamond.
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
TJ doors have the pocket on the interior panel, YJ doors don't, YJ doors will fit but the latch doesn't work on a TJ. Too bad the YJ doors seem to be much cheaper.
Are they exactly the same size? I know the YJ's had a pin and the TJ has a hoop latch. If that's the only difference then I can probably make them work.
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

I actually just sold my my half doors in favor of Full doors. I live in SoCal, and I figure I'm either gonna have the doors on, and want to be warm, or just take them off all together... If I'm that concerned that it actually MAY rain, I'll keep the doors on and roll down the window. I personally don't care for the look of soft doors. But if you're set on half doors, you can pick up a set of half doors for $300.

Past vehicles: '92 YJ, '97 TJ, '10 JK
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #10
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I didnt know there was a difference in 1/2 doors on newer TJ's? Please let me know as im not buying it. I would rather have full soft doors anyday but they are so expensive for what you get (my opinion anyway) and your not gonna get caught out in the rain that way with your steel doors sitting in your garage. You can put the soft doors right in the back of your jeep and your sure not gonna do that with full steel doors.
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2008, 12:41 PM   #11
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt283 View Post
Are they exactly the same size? I know the YJ's had a pin and the TJ has a hoop latch. If that's the only difference then I can probably make them work.
When I was researching this I was told on this forum YJ doors would fit but had the latch issue. I found a set of TJ doors cheap enough and never did a test fit.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten

Unread 02-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #12
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm planning on getting a set of full canvas 2-piece doors and keeping my full steel doors. The full steel doors are great for the winter weather with their glass windows But the canvas doors will be great in summer where they can be on for freeway driving to cut down wind buffeting and yet slim enough to toss in the back at the trail head.
Unread 02-13-2008, 04:49 PM   #13
Coldfever
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt283 View Post
My YJ half doors did not look at all like they would fit. I thought about keeping them when I bought my TJ.
Coldfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #14
sweetguardian00
1946 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
I'm planning on getting a set of full canvas 2-piece doors and keeping my full steel doors. The full steel doors are great for the winter weather with their glass windows But the canvas doors will be great in summer where they can be on for freeway driving to cut down wind buffeting and yet slim enough to toss in the back at the trail head.
will they work with a factory soft top, it says they only work for Sunrider and Supertop
1984 C-10 6.2/SM465
Yeah it's a Diesel
sweetguardian00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2008, 05:00 PM   #15
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

They work just fine with the factory soft top. I ran mine with just the top half of the factory surrounds, I pulled the pin and removed the back part as I ran without the side/rear windows all summer.

Edit: My avatar is still the pre-mod Jeep running soft doors with the factory top and bestop tinted windows.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.