Newbie needs help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Newbie needs help

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 12-26-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
meketawj

Newbie needs help

Jeep Geniuses,

I have a some questions that you can answer:

1) I just got my TJ and it has 4" suspension and 2" body lift. It is running on 33x14.50x15 tires on 15x12 rims. When it hits the highway it wonders all over the road, and requires alot of counter steer. What is wrong and how do i fix it? Is it the tire and rim size?

2) If I get tires and rims, I would like to stay 33" tire and 15" rim. What is the best for the weekend off road daily driver? 33x12.50x15 on 15x8, 33x12.50x15 on 15x10 or 33x10.50x15 on 15x8? What do you guys think?

I am new at this and looking for a little help. Thanks alot

meketawj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not a genius (was tested at 147 once, but that was when I was much younger, though my kids seem to know everything ), but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

1. I'd start with making sure everything on the front end is tight and in good shape. Make sure that the draglink and trackbar mounts are parallel (no drop pitman arm). Then, perform a front end alignment. All you can really do is toe-in and can do it yourself with a little time and a couple simple tools:

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html

or

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/align/align-1.htm

2. I think I'd go with the 33x10.50x15 on 15x8. It'll be better for gas mileage (slightly) and make it easier on the engine and brakes.

Last edited by robncar; 12-26-2007 at 08:23 AM..
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 08:10 AM   #3
flexytj79
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i had 33x12.5r15 on 15x10 and it drove fine ,make sure you use a radial tire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlawless View Post
This should be interesting. Aussies always come up with the best stories.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon 05 LJ View Post
Better yet, why are you looking at the hook??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram1500dodge View Post
shes cute an all, but man, if my hook looked like that hook, id never let it out of my sight.
flexytj79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

When I bought mine it drove the same way. 4" Trail Master lift and they had installed a dropped pitman arm without relocating the track bar mount.

I would check that too.

The dropped track bar bracket I'm referring to bolts on to the factory frame mount and adds a second attachment point like below.

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/te.../photo_04.html

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/te.../photo_22.html

This shows the difference in the pitman arms,

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-build-one-step-time-full-width-axles-494040/
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
slo9fo5oh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Some of the afore mentioned things too, but, that is a very wide tire. How are your roads, are there any "ruts" even the slightest indentations where the normal wear on the road is, can/will make those heavy wide tires on your light jeep wander a bit as the tires are kinda fighting eachother to be in the lowest part of the rut. Does that make any sense? Like mine, I have 35/12.50's, on smooth newer roads that arent worn too bad here in Jax, my jeep is great, but some roads that have the ruts worn in, it makes mine wander a bit too.
slo9fo5oh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #6
fordfreak$
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo9fo5oh
Some of the afore mentioned things too, but, that is a very wide tire. How are your roads, are there any "ruts" even the slightest indentations where the normal wear on the road is, can/will make those heavy wide tires on your light jeep wander a bit as the tires are kinda fighting eachother to be in the lowest part of the rut. Does that make any sense? Like mine, I have 35/12.50's, on smooth newer roads that arent worn too bad here in Jax, my jeep is great, but some roads that have the ruts worn in, it makes mine wander a bit too.
I agree...tire is super wide. This is probably your reason. GEt a 15X8 rim. I run a 33X12.50.R15 on a 15x8(BFGMTZ's) and didn't have that problem. Recently I changed to my "other tires"(GYWranglerMT's) the same size but with a much "squarer" tread pattern, and now it wonders everywhere. I wish I had kept the bald BFGs because they rode better all around on and off-road.

BOFA Racing
fordfreak$ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #7
richs347
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Also make sure the tire pressure is correct for the weight of the vehicle. If you're running 32psi on 33's with a Wrangler your probably riding on the center of the tire. Experiment, but it should be about 25-26psi.
'05 Rubi Unlimited, RE 4.5 Springs / Adj arms, JKS body lift, RE Shocks, Jeep Medic Engine Skid, Rokmen Belly Up and gas tank skid, AtoZ Rockers, Bestop tire carrier and rear bumper, 4" Xenon flares, 35" MTZ's, custom front bumper, etc...

'99 Cherokee Sport, 5spd, 231, 8.25" rear, RE 3.5" lift, 31's
richs347 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.