New Trackbar Frame Mount -- opinions welcome - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Trackbar Frame Mount -- opinions welcome

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #16
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Fulcrum lever principle applies, longer arm makes for more leverage?...
Precisely.

Unread 07-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #17
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone care to explain for the slow kids?

Are we saying a 5/8" bolt in the narrow 2" JJ is OK?
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #18
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_j00 View Post

Anyone care to explain for the slow kids?

Are we saying a 5/8" bolt in the narrow 2" JJ is OK?
i would assume so, since Currie uses them on their JK track bars...

linky: Currie Enterprises CJ Axle Parts

now the problem is you'll have a very difficult time swinging a straight bar past the diff cover...you need a straight bar/bung to thread that joint into...unless you use their bare weldable housing and bend the bar from there....or find that magical spot where a straight bar works (but is that even possible with a aftermarket diff cover, stock pitman arm, 13" collapsed length shocks, stock bumpstops and no major interference issues?).
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #19
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If my math is correct, it looks like using the narrow JJ will save ~1" in width overall for this set-up. Is that enough to help?

Why use a straight bar?

Does TNT use Currie JJs or hemis?
Unread 07-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #20
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Here's what I know to be true because I just finished it.

The Savvy Unlimited runs the Currie 4" lift with their standard bumpstops. The upper is not much larger if any than the stock bumpstop and the bottom is roughly 2.5".

Gerald ordered up the Fab 9 front housing and the center section is very large. I also checked the D-30 front we removed and it was stuffing high enough that the spring perch was by passing the JJ barrel by 1" above the lower edge. It still does with the Currie Trackbar and bumpstops.

At full droop, I was dropping the front springs out of the upper perches by 2.5" because I modified the shock mounts and stopped them from binding on the arms. So much so that I installed limit straps to only let the springs drop until they just come loose in the perches.

Point being, a vertically mounted single shear JJ trackbar will do quite nicely for 98% of us, even with an over large front pumpkin.
Unread 07-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #21
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If my math is correct, it looks like using the narrow JJ will save ~1" in width overall for this set-up. Is that enough to help?

Why use a straight bar?

Does TNT use Currie JJs or hemis?
1. every little bit helps give you more flexibility
2. stronger. bend = higher chance of bending more when you don't want it to.
3. call and ask, get more info...it looks like a flex joint of some type of the axle end, and a poly bushing? but their only pic is also a highsteer setup with their truss....so who knows....call and ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Here's what I know to be true because I just finished it.

The Savvy Unlimited runs the Currie 4" lift with their standard bumpstops. The upper is not much larger if any than the stock bumpstop and the bottom is roughly 2.5".

Gerald ordered up the Fab 9 front housing and the center section is very large. I also checked the D-30 front we removed and it was stuffing high enough that the spring perch was by passing the JJ barrel by 1" above the lower edge. It still does with the Currie Trackbar and bumpstops.

At full droop, I was dropping the front springs out of the upper perches by 2.5" because I modified the shock mounts and stopped them from binding on the arms. So much so that I installed limit straps to only let the springs drop until they just come loose in the perches.
any pics of these steps & shock mounts? sounds like you've got 2.5" bumpstop extensions in comparison with a stock unmodified bumpstop & 13" shocks (us 2.5" lift guys)? as mudb8's pointed out, 4" of lift & 2"+ bumpstops can keep the Currie & JKS bar off most diff covers.
Unread 07-22-2010, 05:15 PM   #22
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
1. every little bit helps give you more flexibility
2. stronger. bend = higher chance of bending more when you don't want it to.
3. call and ask, get more info...it looks like a flex joint of some type of the axle end, and a poly bushing? but their only pic is also a highsteer setup with their truss....so who knows....call and ask.

any pics of these steps & shock mounts? sounds like you've got 2.5" bumpstop extensions in comparison with a stock unmodified bumpstop & 13" shocks (us 2.5" lift guys)?

There may be some in the Test Mule thread, but a 35" Kevlar MT/R on a 15x8" rim rubs the bottom of the stock fender cut-out.
Unread 07-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #23
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There may be some in the Test Mule thread, but a 35" Kevlar MT/R on a 15x8" rim rubs the bottom of the stock fender cut-out.
did you have to pull the axle housing back toward the driver to clear the track bar/diff cover?
Unread 07-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #24
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
did you have to pull the axle housing back toward the driver to clear the track bar/diff cover?

The 35" tire clears at full turn both directions.
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #25
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm actually using 2" JJ's for a TJ prototype I'm working on to clear Riddlers with stock suspension/bumpstop extension, it's not verticaly mounted and won't use a DPA nor shorten the Bar. The Currie and JKS bars I have here were binding the JJ quite a bit before the right side OME N66L shock made it to full extension.

the only 10mm bolts I've ever snapped on the axle end, were done with a socket on them in the process of installation....

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #26
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

any pics of these steps & shock mounts? sounds like you've got 2.5" bumpstop extensions in comparison with a stock unmodified bumpstop & 13" shocks (us 2.5" lift guys)? as mudb8's pointed out, 4" of lift & 2"+ bumpstops can keep the Currie & JKS bar off most diff covers.
this is some shock mounts I modded recently, the purpose was to use the 11" travel OME N66L shock with Rancho 2.5" springs on stock bumpstop extension. It prevented the springs from unseating and added 2" uptravel... the rancho coils are pushing the limits of coil bind with 3/4" spacers, I compressed them with the bench mounted strut compressor and measured to find out how short they can go.
I'm using AEV highline fenders and building for 35" tires, so a custom track bar is in the works to clear the Crane cover. in it's current state the Currie won't even bolt on the frame end @ full compression due to diff interference with 16" lowers and 15" upper CA's.

I'm wondering what the unsprung length of the Currie 4" coils are since I have 13" travel shocks up front on mine running 2" stops Rancho HD2.5" coils w/2" spacers only on the front and just barely unseat the coils.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 07-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #27
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post

I'm wondering what the unsprung length of the Currie 4" coils are since I have 13" travel shocks up front on mine running 2" stops Rancho HD2.5" coils w/2" spacers only on the front and just barely unseat the coils.
I let the arm length and angle determine the droop. At around 12" of travel, I looked at the arm angle at full droop, decided it was way too much to be of any use and put limit straps on to drop it back to around a little under 11".
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #28
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm actually using 2" JJ's for a TJ prototype I'm working on to clear Riddlers with stock suspension/bumpstop extension, it's not verticaly mounted and won't use a DPA nor shorten the Bar.
Does this prototype involve removing the stock frame mount? Or is there a bracket involved that attaches to the stock mount?
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #29
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I let the arm length and angle determine the droop. At around 12" of travel, I looked at the arm angle at full droop, decided it was way too much to be of any use and put limit straps on to drop it back to around a little under 11".
I agree with that... most of the gained travel with the 13" shocks was used as uptravel...

Quote:
Does this prototype involve removing the stock frame mount? Or is there a bracket involved that attaches to the stock mount?
It'll involve removing part of the stock mount and a weld on bracket..... as of now anyway, I'm always coming up with different idea's.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 07-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #30
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
most of the gained travel with the 13" shocks was used as uptravel...
so what is your uptravel to downtravel ratio now?

Tags
trackbar , trac bar , mount , advice , opinion , tj , wrangler , axle , position

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.