New TJ owner 4x4 Concerns - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New TJ owner 4x4 Concerns

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 08-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
NakedCreekTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

New TJ owner 4x4 Concerns

Hello,
So this is my first post here on Jeep fourm.

I recently bought a 1998 wrangler sport 6cyl 5spd. I have a 2.5 RC lift and 30in all terrains.

I was off roading the other day and came upon a hill. I havent ever really done any offroading so i put the Jeep in 4h and it seemed to bogg down going up the hill in 1st so i stoped and put it into 4Lo. While going up the hill i could smell something awefull. It smelled like my clutch or brakes burning but i wasnt hitting the brakes or the clutch. So i was wondering if i had an issue with my transfer case?

Also while coming down the hill i left the Jeep in 4Lo because i didnt wanna lock up the brakes and slide around a turn or into a tree. Was doing that a bad idea? (for future reference?).

Thanks

NakedCreekTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

leaving the transfer case in 4lo and putting the transmission in 1st or 2nd is a great way to creep down steep hills. You might not even need the brakes, depending on how steep the hill. And if you start sliding left or right on loose stuff with not much steering response, try giving it a bit of throttle.

As for the smell, I don't know if this is normal or not. But mine did that too, when I first got mine (used with 70,000 miles) the first few times I put it in 4lo I smelt something like clutch. i figure this was probably just because the previous owner never put it in 4lo (or did it very rarely?) I have never smelt it since then.
Unread 08-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
NakedCreekTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alright, sounds good.

I've googled this in every way that i could think to word it and tried searching the forum but i could never get a straight answer out of any of it. And as far as the transfer case burning smell, thats a bit of relief because i though i was tearing something up, and at the moment with the transmission and swaybar needing repaired, transfer case work is the last thing i need.

Thanks
Unread 08-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well I don't know if that's the case for sure, just noting that mine smelled clutch-ish when I engaged 4lo the first few times. Hopfully there is nothing wrong, but if the transmission is being worked on, might not be a bad idea to have the transfer case checked out while someone is under there? not sure if there are any tell-tale signs of a transfer case that needs work just on visual inspection, or not.
Unread 08-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like you burned the clutch trying to make it up the hill in 4h. No worries though, TJ clutches seem to handle it well.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
FarmerinVA
Just a flatlander

1999 TJ Wrangler 

NakedCreek, this is off topic, but you should take a look at what DanielBuck did to his TJ. Your setup is nearly there, lift-wise, and his rig with the 16x8 wheels and the 32x10.5 metric equivalent tires is just about the perfect mid-rise performance and look. If I could justify it, I'd copy him, but I can't justify it for my East-of-95 flatland wheeling. In Elkton, though, you could, and those narrowish tires would be much more practical for the snow that you see (and that I don't) than the monster wide tires you see a lot of people waste money on in your area.

Just my two cents. I've wanted to say "perfect rig" to Daniel for a while, and this seems like a good way to do it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ex...hafts-1234745/
FarmerinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
NakedCreekTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input everyone. And yea as for upgrades I've been doing a lot of research and talking to other th owners in the area. Several have a 3.5in lift w/ 1in bl and run 35x12.5 with bumpstops, but I didn't want my power or acceleration and top speed to suffer so much. And as far as the snow goes, we do get some nasty winters (for the area) from time to time and I'm not sure what handles best (I.e. wider or narrow tires. But i do want to go bigger in the near future but not so big that cb drive shaft and sye or rehearing are necessary just yet due to the money constraint.
( )_) ( )_)--)_)
Unread 08-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
NakedCreekTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Corrections on the above post:

Tj owners
Cv drive shaft.

My Android always screws up my messages
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Tags
4x4 system 5 speed , burnt rubber , clutch issue , Offroad Trails , problems

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.