New thermostat & now "Check Engine" light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New thermostat & now "Check Engine" light

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
MLaborde
1998 TJ Wrangler 

New thermostat & now "Check Engine" light

Got in late this afternoon & put in my thermostat with new gasket, & bled the air out of the system. At some point during the warm-up/bleeding, the CEL came on.

I've disconnected the battery and will reconnect in the morning to see if it stays on. I will update the thread with results in the morning.

I've replaced this t-stat 2x but this is the 1st CEL I've had. Ideas?

MLaborde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLaborde View Post
Got in late this afternoon & put in my thermostat with new gasket, & bled the air out of the system. At some point during the warm-up/bleeding, the CEL came on.

I've disconnected the battery and will reconnect in the morning to see if it stays on. I will update the thread with results in the morning.

I've replaced this t-stat 2x but this is the 1st CEL I've had. Ideas?
Only needs to be disconnected for a few minutes. Can't imagine why you would have a CEL with what you did. Are you sure all electrical connections are made?
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
MLaborde
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post

Only needs to be disconnected for a few minutes. Can't imagine why you would have a CEL with what you did. Are you sure all electrical connections are made?
I disconnected the temp sensor plug while I was working but I've done that every time. It plugged back in fine.
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I disconnected the temp sensor plug while I was working but I've done that every time. It plugged back in fine.
Go connect the battery back up and see what happens. It's been disconnected long enough now.
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
MLaborde
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post

Go connect the battery back up and see what happens. It's been disconnected long enough now.
Just did. All clear so far.

Letting it warm up to check for leaks again while I'm out here in tbe cold already.

Thanks for the help the last couple of days. Much appreciated!
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just did. All clear so far.

Letting it warm up to check for leaks again while I'm out here in tbe cold already.

Thanks for the help the last couple of days. Much appreciated!
No problem, hope you got it fixed this time. Don't freeze to death.
Unread 12-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you cycled the key to the RUN position with the temp sensor unplugged, you will throw a CEL that will go way after a few start cycles.
Unread 12-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
MLaborde
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

If you cycled the key to the RUN position with the temp sensor unplugged, you will throw a CEL that will go way after a few start cycles.
I'm sure thay was probably what I did. Good to know for future reference. Thank you!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.