New Spark Plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Spark Plugs

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 08-26-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
jeep066

New Spark Plugs

Has anyone upgraded their spark plugs? If so have you noticed any difference in preformance or gas mileage? I just picked up a set of E3 plugs and am getting ready to install them. My wife works for the company so they were free but i'm not sure how much of a difference they will make.

06 Wrangler X

jeep066 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
AjRagno
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Why don't you install them and tell us what happens.
AjRagno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
Trombino
1978 CJ7 

I say stick to the Champion plugs, Part # 4412.
'78 CJ7 -- Chevy 350 SBC, Holley 4-BBL, TH700R4, B&M Performance Shifter, Dana 300 w/ Twin Sticks, 3" Shackle Lift, 3" Body Lift, D30 Front (Disc), AMC 20 Rear w/ Moser 1-Piece, 4.10's, 35x12.50/15 General Grabber MT's, Cragar Soft 8's (15x8 w/ 4" BS)
Trombino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2006, 06:40 PM   #4
daveg13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trombino
I say stick to the Champion plugs, Part # 4412.
Our engines don't like the fancy plugs.
Unread 08-26-2006, 06:45 PM   #5
bee guz

Autolites

I put in a set of autolites about a week or two ago,around town mileage, stayed the same about 16.5, as the champs, just came back from carlilse, 65 to 75 Mph. did 21.2 a lot better than I expected.
bee guz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
FL 4.0L

I run the Champion truck plugs like many others on this board. No problems. I'd be curious to know what happens with those freebies. Just save the old ones!
FL 4.0L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2006, 07:08 PM   #7
bee guz

plugs

All those trick spark plugs started coming out in the 70's, accell, split fire etc, they did not work then, because of the lower voltage coils and points, now that they have all that electronic high voltage stuff, I think they get killed faster, I would rather put in a set of regular plugs, every now and then, than those high priced plugs that a supposed to last 100k. for what you pay for those platinum double, you can buy a few sets, and put them in every 10k, and have nice fresh plugs. because they do loose power after a while, I can feel the difference, with a fresh set of plugs. just my 2 cents..
bee guz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2006, 07:12 PM   #8
Chris_Ryan
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee guz
All those trick spark plugs started coming out in the 70's, accell, split fire etc, they did not work then, because of the lower voltage coils and points, now that they have all that electronic high voltage stuff, I think they get killed faster, I would rather put in a set of regular plugs, every now and then, than those high priced plugs that a supposed to last 100k. for what you pay for those platinum double, you can buy a few sets, and put them in every 10k, and have nice fresh plugs. because they do loose power after a while, I can feel the difference, with a fresh set of plugs. just my 2 cents..

Ummm... he said they were free... which is less than I paid for my 4412's

OP go for it... I can't see them running worse than OEM plugs (well maybe)

EC4WDA Region D Schedule 2008
- Who says there is nowhere to run in New England and New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBulletin Message
Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.
Chris_Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2006, 07:52 PM   #9
daveg13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcells9
Ummm... he said they were free... which is less than I paid for my 4412's

OP go for it... I can't see them running worse than OEM plugs (well maybe)
There's been many instances where people have chosen one of the new latest and greatest plugs which causes their engine to run like crap.
Unread 08-26-2006, 08:09 PM   #10
JQlaxTJ

Champion work fine for me as well
JQlaxTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2006, 09:57 PM   #11
58dDriver
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When it comes to my engine I only use things that are well proven. I am a firm believer in the Champion Truck plugs. If you want to be that guy to "test" out some plugs for all of us to hear about, well then go right ahead. Personally, I haven't heard of that brand and unless you have money to fix what ever issues they could create then I would recommend sticking with the Champions.
I wouldn't care if they were free or not. Just my .02
Unread 09-02-2006, 11:31 AM   #12
'B'wigstrailrig
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ifitaintbroken...

your my kinda people. different plugs run hotter or colder for various applications. Chrysler as well as all other manufacturers research [SPENDALOTOFMONEY] the plugs to find what works. THERES PROSNCONS with any mod. For instanse cold air intakes suck water in your motor. That box that sits on your fender with the inlet facing the fender is genious. It would be cheaper for a manufacturer to give a straight tube to the front with a cone filter on it. its not always summer and some of us like to tread water from time to . TRY the new plugs and on your next oilchange check plugs for proper wear refer to picturesncomments in your chiltons.
'B'wigstrailrig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2006, 03:40 PM   #13
Grimmjpr

I posted this over at ROF,

Like many of you i have been running the 4412 Champion Truck plugs in my Rubi....it ran fine.

Almost every 4.0 has a bit of a rough idle.....mine included.

My dad got me a set of Autolite XP985's while he was getting some plugs for his Corrolla. They are Iridium enhanced center electrode with a Platinum side electrode......They run 6 bucks a piece......with a 1.50 each mail in rebate till the end of the year.

I gapped them at .035 like reccommended, and the motor seems smoother and the bump in the idle is almost gone.....its still there but not anywhere as noticeable as with the Champ Truck Plugs. I've only had them in for a few days so i haven't noticed an increase in MPG yet.....i doubt it would help that anyway but the engine seems to run smoother. I'm not saying it added any power but my Rubi seems to run smoother.......so anyone thats looking to try to smooth out the idle.....this might be worth a shot.......

No I don't work for Autolite......and the Champ plugs were not in bad shape or very old at all......

I know some of you will call BS.....and thats fine....you can hate me if you want to, but i cried yesterday so my feelings won't be hurt.

Short Update - So far my Rubi seems to run much better, seems to hold speed on inclines better then with the Champ plugs.....weird, was never that much of a difference just changing plugs. I'm pretty impressed.

I need to get gas but normally i'd get about 190-200 miles before the low fuel light would come on after filling it to the tippy top, mostly city stop and go driving.

Same driving pattern except i've been sitting in construcion traffic at idle a lot more this tank and i hadn't filled it as much as i usually do last time i got gas.......i went 220 miles before the light came on. I need to get fuel so i'll check back with the MPG increase once i know how many gallons it takes.....its most likely small but i'll take every little bit.

And this was a response some one else posted as well...

"I recently put E3 plugs in my '05 and am very impressed with them. It seems to pull much better a the bottom end and seems to be more responsive overall."

And someone else posted this

"Unfortunately my memory is not that good and it was about 25 years ago, but:

When I had a used car lot I bought a spark plug cleaner/tester. It would sandblast the plugs then I could hook them up to a wire and apply air pressure from my air compressor. It was interesting how many brand new plugs would stop firing at about 90 PSI of air pressure.

If I recall correctly Champions were the worst and AC were the best. I am talking about brand new plugs here because I tested some and sent some back to the parts store.

If anyone else here has a spark plug tester it would be nice if a few folks could send then different brands of plugs and see how the different brands hold up under pressure.

Champion used to make a cleaner/tester but a search on Google failed to turn up anything but some $25 spark plug cleaners and $1,400 aircraft spark plug cleaners. The cleaner/tester I had probably cost ~$125 back in the early 80's."
Grimmjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2007, 07:03 AM   #14
doorocks
Web Wheeler

Installed the Iridiums on my '99 2 days ago. Yesterday my engine shut-down completely. Current update....Appalachian Off Road guys have narrowed it down to the Ignition, my ASD relay keeps shorting out.

Considering that the only changes I made were those plugs. I will give an update after today.

RE 3.5 and all kinds of other relevant goodies, you know winch and stuff.

[COLOR=Red][B]Life is like walking into the No Chance Bar full of Future Darwin Stories........[/B][/COLOR]

More mods than a hillbilly's set of teeth..
doorocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2007, 07:26 AM   #15
bruker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjRagno
Why don't you install them and tell us what happens.
^^^What he said.^^^

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.