New shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New shocks

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! 1976-1986 Jeep CJ7 with Adjustable Vent Windows Weatherstr50" LED CREE Light Bar Pair With Wiring Kit

Unread 02-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
rramostx
2005 TJ Wrangler 

New shocks

I have a question. I'm some what if a noob so be easy in me. I have the RC 2.5" lift, 1.25 BL, and a 1" MML. I have tube fenders ( not highline) and am running 35's. I am in need of new shocks bad. What length shocks should I buy? Should I stick with a shock made for a 2.5" lift? I will be cutting the quarter panels for better tire clearance. So what length shock should I get to get the most flex? If I got with a shock for a 4" lift, how many inches of bump stop am I going to need for the front and rear. Thanks

rramostx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2015, 12:09 AM   #2
LeeMasterGT
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You'll need to take measurements to figure out what shocks will work best for you. Also try to determine what up travel and down travel you want. To make it as simple as possible, measure your shock right now at ride height. Then go look up your desired shock and pick the one that will be in the middle of the shock travel (roughly half way between extended and collapsed lengths) that matches your current shock length at ride height.

From there, it's really a matter of how much work you want to do to make improvements. It's possible your current shocks are limiting your travel unnecessarily. Or it's possible that there are other suspension components that are limiting your articulation, so buying shocks and doing work to use more travel would be a waste without replacing those other components. There's a lot of research you can do if you're looking to change things up to make room for more suspension travel. It won't be as easy as picking 4" lift shocks or 2" lift shocks. Also, you won't know exact bump stop numbers until you're all put together. We'll help where we can.
Unread 02-24-2015, 01:42 AM   #3
Kolak
Vendor

You'd want something for 2.5" to 3" lift. A shock that's about 24" extended up front and 22.5" or so in the rear will be correct. But take some measurements as suggested above to be absolutely certain.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.