New Rubicon suspension for 97 TJ 2.5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Rubicon suspension for 97 TJ 2.5

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
jryanbass
1997 TJ Wrangler 

New Rubicon suspension for 97 TJ 2.5

I just got an entire Rubicon suspension, minus the shocks for FREE! Pitman arms, springs, everything, off an 06 Rubicon. All the bushings are good. I am planning on getting some Monroe shocks for it tomorrow and putting everything on. Are there any tricks or anything I should be aware of before I start? I just got it, its a project for me and my husband (I am the more mechanically inclined one lol, my step-dad was a mechanic with 2 daughters, so being the oldest I was the helper) I am so excited to get a decent suspension under it, the one on it is factory and it is SHOT. Unfortunately it wasn't very well taken care of when we got it. I won't be off-roading much with it, its mainly for me and my boys to have fun in and to be a daily driver to get me back and forth to school.

jryanbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Did the same thing on my 97 TJ a couple of years ago. Straight forward swap, I do recommend you spray the rear upper bolts prior to let them soak and break the rust loose.

Chances are they will probably snap on you lol and their no fun to remove.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
nickgsjeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Gain

I'm about to do the same to my 02 2.5L, scored a nearly new Rubi suspension. Did you guys net any gain in height from this swap? Thanks.
White Jeep Club member #273
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member
nickgsjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgsjeep View Post
I'm about to do the same to my 02 2.5L, scored a nearly new Rubi suspension. Did you guys net any gain in height from this swap? Thanks.
Hey, I did this about a couple of years ago with Rubi shocks and coils but I also added the spacers.

The rubi coils, depending on their rating and in what condition they are you can see gains of up to 3/4". You would want rated coils of 106AA I believe as those are the stiffest.

The shocks do not give you a height increase but will firm up your ride in a good way. 97 TJ shocks are hydraulic while the rubicon and newer model stuff was all gas charged. I had the shocks on my Jeep but I am selling them know as I ended up going higher and needing longer shocks. If you need shocks let me know mine have like 8000miles on them.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
nickgsjeep
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks esad. Mine is an 02 but the springs are sagging and the rubi springs and shocks are off of an 06 and they never saw dirt and had less than 20k on them, Ill report my findings when I put them on.
White Jeep Club member #273
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member
nickgsjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgsjeep
Thanks esad. Mine is an 02 but the springs are sagging and the rubi springs and shocks are off of an 06 and they never saw dirt and had less than 20k on them, Ill report my findings when I put them on.
Sounds good! Spray the rear upper bolts a few days before because they usually snap and are a ***** to remove afterwards due to limiting space.

Sent from the I-device using an APP
My Progress Page
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
MetalMountainGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm...I was under the impression that the rubi suspension wasn't any different than the regular TJ suspension. I always thought the axles and t case were the only difference.
MetalMountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 984bangerTJ View Post
Hmmm...I was under the impression that the rubi suspension wasn't any different than the regular TJ suspension. I always thought the axles and t case were the only difference.
It is the same.

There are different rate coils used on TJs. 4 cyl models come with a lighter rate, I6 models (particularly Rubis) come with slightly stiffer rate coils.

Put stiffer, newer coils on the 4 cyl TJ and it gives a little ride height increase.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #9
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ
It is the same.

There are different rate coils used on TJs. 4 cyl models come with a lighter rate, I6 models (particularly Rubis) come with slightly stiffer rate coils.

Put stiffer, newer coils on the 4 cyl TJ and it gives a little ride height increase.
Are the shocks of the early year TJs hydraulic as well while the newer jeeps are all gas charged shocks?

I recall my shocks when I took them off being hydraulic and pretty sure those were OE from the Jeep since 97.

My Progress Page
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #10
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You won't get any additional height as opposed to when it rolled off the factory floor. You will get a boost back up to the factory height because your 97 springs were probably sagging some. TJ springs are all the same height, but different models/options have higher or lower spring rates. The highest spring rate being an LJ rubicon, auto, with dual tops

Either way it is worth it for you to swap just to get a decade newer suspension into your rig
Tonellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellin
You won't get any additional height as opposed to when it rolled off the factory floor. You will get a boost back up to the factory height because your 97 springs were probably sagging some. TJ springs are all the same height, but different models/options have higher or lower spring rates. The highest spring rate being an LJ rubicon, auto, with dual tops

Either way it is worth it for you to swap just to get a decade newer suspension into your rig
Your first paragraph contradicts itself. You are saying he's not going to get any height gain but then you say the coils are a stiffer rate meant for a LJ rubi with dual tops. Hmm I wonder why the factory choose stiffer coil rate for a LJ rubi? To account for the additional weight of all the components.

If the coils are a stiffer rate and he's putting it on a 4cylinder, softtop, d35s jeep instead of a 6cylinder, hard top, d44 of course he's going to see a difference to the fact that everything on the 4cylinder jeep is lighter compared to a rubicon.

Anyways if the suspension stuff is in real good condition and the stuff is going on a 97 jeep with old stuff and its a 4cylinder jeep your prob going to see close to .75" gain.

My Progress Page
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b

Your first paragraph contradicts itself. You are saying he's not going to get any height gain but then you say the coils are a stiffer rate meant for a LJ rubi with dual tops. Hmm I wonder why the factory choose stiffer coil rate for a LJ rubi? To account for the additional weight of all the components.

If the coils are a stiffer rate and he's putting it on a 4cylinder, softtop, d35s jeep instead of a 6cylinder, hard top, d44 of course he's going to see a difference to the fact that everything on the 4cylinder jeep is lighter compared to a rubicon.

Anyways if the suspension stuff is in real good condition and the stuff is going on a 97 jeep with old stuff and its a 4cylinder jeep your prob going to see close to .75" gain.

What do the axles have to do with it?
rchase559 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #13
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559

What do the axles have to do with it?
They are heavier. Traveling down a road and hitting bumps etc makes them move up and down to which the coils are there to keep them planted on the road I guess?

At first it didn't make sense to me either about the axles but I read that on a thread on JF before

My Progress Page
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post

All TJ springs are the same height regardless of axles, engine, tops, tranny etc. The only difference is the spring rate. He will only see a gain in height because his springs have sagged over 15+ years of driving.

There are a million threads about this on any jeep site...there is no height gain (above factory), but if he got them for free and his old suspension is hurting then a simple swap would benefit him
Tonellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #15
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b

They are heavier. Traveling down a road and hitting bumps etc makes them move up and down to which the coils are there to keep them planted on the road I guess?

At first it didn't make sense to me either about the axles but I read that on a thread on JF before

I think I misinterpreted your post. I thought you were making a correlation between the axle used and static ride height. It sounds like it was more of axle and the selected spring rate from the factory. My bad.
rchase559 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.