New Rockers from PSC..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Rockers from PSC.....

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Closed Thread
Unread 01-09-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
Difranco

New Rockers from PSC.....

I like the styling, it really stands out as something unique. What do ya'll think of the "Helldorados"?

Orange Jeep Club Member #13--Metalhead Jeep Club Member #13--Poseur Jeep Club Member #13
Gun Control: Means never having to say "I missed you!"

FOR SALE: OE Rubicon Shocks / OE Rear Bumper / OE 3rd Brake light / OE Front Trackbar / OE Rear Trackbar -- PM for details and make your best offer.
Unread 01-09-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
Texas TJ

i like em but there probably gonna cost like 600 bucks

If it won't budge, get a bigger hammer, if it breaks in the process it needed to be fixed anyway.
Unread 01-09-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
biffstephens

I doubt that.....everything PSC has is prett resonable for what you get.....

Visit Offroadoverstock.com [/URL]

Biff
Unread 01-09-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
Kerndone
I lack money

1999 TJ Wrangler 

They don't appear to extend very far underneath. The design looks cool, but it also looks like it can be done to just about any rocker that has a step/slider.

-Frank

'99 TJ - work in progress...see profile

'08 WK - Silver RME, DD.
Unread 01-09-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
UCTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

They are coming out with all kinds of new stuff...there a new trail cage called Hellorado as well.....
Unread 01-09-2006, 10:58 PM   #6
1000000to1
2000 WJ 

Look cool might have to upgrade my psc's
Canadian Jeep Club Member #18
Black Jeep Club Member #2002
Unread 01-10-2006, 12:02 AM   #7
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've played with the PSC a bit more since my last post about their design flaws and have since discovered that my original theories are now bearing fruit.

Someone at PSC needs to learn a few things about rockers.

This whole sandwiching between the body mount and tub is a crap design. Those three mounts under the doors sit in dimples on the underside of the tub. Those three mounts are designed to be compressed a specific amount to carry the weight of the tub. How do you expect that to happen if you compress 2 of them a half inch more than the one in the front because you span over the dimple instead of up into it?

Would anyone here in their right mind shave a half inch off of two body lift pucks on each side under the doors and call that correct?

How about if I send the guys with no body lift 4 half inch thick pucks and have them install them under the doors on the last 2 mounts on each side? Would that be okay?

Further, look at the rear slot on the rail. See that little finger of metal pointing to the inside? Guess what happens to it when the over compression of that body mount gets done with it?

There is ample room to make that finger another inch wider so that it won't distort up into the dimple in the body.
Unread 01-10-2006, 12:05 AM   #8
Texas TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
I've played with the PSC a bit more since my last post about their design flaws and have since discovered that my original theories are now bearing fruit.

This whole sandwiching between the body mount and tub is a crap design. Those three mounts under the doors sit in dimples on the underside of the tub. Those three mounts are designed to be compressed a specific amount to carry the weight of the tub. How do you expect that to happen if you compress 2 of them a half inch more than the one in the front because you span over the dimple instead of up into it?

Would anyone here in their right mind shave a half inch off of two body lift pucks on each side under the doors and call that correct?

How about if I send the guys with no body lift 4 half inch thick pucks and have them install them under the doors on the last 2 mounts on each side? Would that be okay?

Further, look at the rear slot on the rail. See that little finger of metal pointing to the inside? Guess what happens to it when the over compression of that body mount gets done with it?

There is ample room to make that finger another inch wider so that it won't distort up into the dimple in the body.
sweet jesus man...
if you don't like the design DONT BY THEM!!!!!!!!
dont cry about them on the internet

If it won't budge, get a bigger hammer, if it breaks in the process it needed to be fixed anyway.
Unread 01-10-2006, 08:52 AM   #9
Difranco

Last I read about PSC rockers you were supposed to trim about 1/4" off those pucks.
Orange Jeep Club Member #13--Metalhead Jeep Club Member #13--Poseur Jeep Club Member #13
Gun Control: Means never having to say "I missed you!"

FOR SALE: OE Rubicon Shocks / OE Rear Bumper / OE 3rd Brake light / OE Front Trackbar / OE Rear Trackbar -- PM for details and make your best offer.
Unread 01-10-2006, 09:38 AM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difranco
Last I read about PSC rockers you were supposed to trim about 1/4" off those pucks.

What do you do if you don't have a body lift?
Unread 01-10-2006, 09:39 AM   #11
redrock4x4

Quote:

While I haven't installed a set or really looked at the mounting system up close I think I understand what you're saying.

So if they were going to use this style of mounting system properly, the way to do it would be to insert the rocker guard in between the frame mount and the top body mount so that the top body mount still sandwiched in the concave in the body, correct? So the order would be body > body mount > rocker guard > body lift (if used) > frame. This would work better assuming you have a flat body lift puck and not a contoured one like Currie makes.

The only potential problem I could see here is that this may create a gap between the rocker guard and the body...

I suppose another potential fix would be to include a new shorter body mount which goes under the rocker guard and fills in the concave in the body properly. If you chop 1/2" off your body lift puck and insert it in between the rocker guard and the body does that fill in the concave properly? The best solution would be to provide a new shorter body mount here that installs above the rocker guard yet does not create a gap between the rocker guard and the body.

Looking through their website it appears they have changed their mounting system to what I described above for the Unlimited:

vs. this for a standard TJ

Unread 01-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #12
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You don't buy those rockers.

PSC sells cage kits for YJs but I don't have a YJ, whatever will I do???
Unread 01-10-2006, 10:00 AM   #13
redrock4x4

Quote:
Is the body mount strong enough that you could cut it in half (rough guess) and still re-use the upper portion above the rocker guard??
Unread 01-10-2006, 10:03 AM   #14
redrock4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difranco

I like the styling, it really stands out as something unique. What do ya'll think of the "Helldorados"?
I think that for someone who wants a useful side step that's the best design I've seen
Unread 01-10-2006, 10:08 AM   #15
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TJ
sweet jesus man...
if you don't like the design DONT BY THEM!!!!!!!!
dont cry about them on the internet
How would you like to buy a set thinking that they were pretty good for playing in the rocks only to have them let the rocker slide inwards because it's only clamped in place with the body mounts? That caves in the rocker right where the spider logo is.

On the rig I was working on, it caved in the rocker enough to slightly crumple the floor.

Is that what you want your rockers to do?
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.