New Owner needs help...Thanks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Owner needs help...Thanks

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
burks187
2006 TJ Wrangler 

New Owner needs help...Thanks

Hey guys, I recently bought a 2006 TJ..2.4L Powertech 6speed manual with 3.73 gears...I'm interested in replacing the stock axles with same year Rubicon set up to do some mild off-roading and just strengthen it up to add some larger rims and tires..im not sure if this is the best route...i know its not the cheapest..but just curious what is the best without spending too much money...any advise on cheap upgrades to increase strength or overall improvement on drivetrain would be awesome..thanks

burks187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What size tire do you want to run? The front D30 can be made to handle 35's. I'd consider replacing the rear D35 with a Ford 8.8 if you want to run a locked 33" or larger tire. I personally wouldn't run antything over 33" with the 4cyl for street use.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

can you weld? use the serach button or search google for "8.8 swap" and "HP D30", very common, relatively heavy duty, relatively inexpensive upgrades
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
dkrajcovic
1998 TJ Wrangler 

if it is a 2.4 L it has 4.11 gears to beef it up a little i would do this
dana 35 rear super 35 http://www.sams4x4store.com/SuperiorDana35AxleKit.htm
and for the front dana 30 http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-159...shaft-kit.html
& regear to 4.56 & put you some 33 & you will be good also 2" BB lift & 1.25 BL
BL http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=189&gr=-1
BB http://zoneoffroad.com/product?ki=20&gr=-1
to stay on the cheap side
dkrajcovic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
burks187
2006 TJ Wrangler 

my jeep came with the msrp sticker...it has 3.73's...and ya 32's or 33's is all i wanna go..and could i put on the rubicon locker system??or would that be too hard..and no...cant weld
Unread 11-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
burks187
2006 TJ Wrangler 

thanks guys
Unread 11-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
burks187
2006 TJ Wrangler 

it seems to have pretty good power even though its a 4 cylinder...the 6speed really helps it i think
Unread 11-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
kercher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i had a 94 with the 4cyl, 4.10s and stock on 33s and it was fine as long as you drive slow and wheel lightly. Now, locked is another story on the d35.

second jeep was a 99, 4cyl on 36s with 4.88s and hpd30 and 8.8. Both axles were locked (aussie up front and eaton e locker in the rear). I really like this setup but still slow on the hwy.

I think you should look for a set of 32-33s and go from there. If it is sluggish, regear. If you really want to wheel, look for an 8.8 to swap in. The do come with matching gears and you can find someone to help with the welding.

A rubicon rear axle would bolt in, be the same gear ratio as the front, and have the locker so that is a good bet too! I wouldn't worry so much about the d30...it will do well with 33s
kercher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:25 AM   #9
Sudcalifornio
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My 04 jeep came with 4.56 gears, I thought all auto jeeps from that year come with those gears
Sudcalifornio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcalifornio View Post
My 04 jeep came with 4.56 gears, I thought all auto jeeps from that year come with those gears
Only the 2.4L with the 42RLE...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

There are better and bheaper options than the Rubi stuff, UNLESS you find a wrecked Rubi at the local junkyard. No you can not add Rubi lockers to your 30/35 combo as the Rubi has D44 front and rear. You can add other lockers like the ARB if you want air, OX if you want cable and then many options if you want an auto locker (the cheapest route). All 3 locker styles have their pros and cons, leaking lines, cable adjustment and unwanted locking and unlocking vs added on board air, you you can feel when it locks and cheapest respectlivy. I had a 4 cyl in my Jeep when I got it and had 31s on it, I thought it was fine till I added 33s and all the weight from armor. The 4:11s no longer kept me happy or the Jeep at highway speeds. Figure out your plans and budget. Plans include largest tire size, type of wheeling, needed and wanted armor and gear like winches. Do you want steel or aluminum armor? Low center of gravity or do you prefer the lifted Jeep look. Will it be mostly on road with minor off road. Does is still need to be easliy drivable for say the wife and kids? Once you figure all that out then we can help you a little better.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2.4l , 4x4 , axles , jeep , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.