New OPDA design for 05-06 TJ's from CROWN? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New OPDA design for 05-06 TJ's from CROWN?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
liljpy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

2005-06 OPDA DISTRIBUTOR Crown Aftermarket Replacement

Please do not email Crown directly regarding this. They are well aware it is in high demand and are working on a solution for us.

Everyone,

This appears to be in its infancy, and I know it's a long shot, but CROWN seems interested in sourcing and redesigning the flawed OPDA for 2005-2006 TJ's. I chose to start a new thread dedicated to a potential vendor solution. I will post additional conversations as they happen. Please help me keep this thread as clean and short as possible.

My inquiry began as a request for 2000-2006 compatible gears since they only carry 87-99 year gears. I had to keep my inquiry short and specific even though I knew much, much more. I also wanted to gauge their interest since these things can go either way, so don't hate on me for the form of my inquiry!

Here is our back-and-forth conversation:
-------------------------------------------
Me:

Inquiry: Hello, Do you make a distributor/OPDA drive gear for 2000-2006 Jeep Wranglers with the 4.0? You do make one for the 87-99 which is PN:CRO83504635. There is a serious design flaw with the factory gear for 2000-2006 wranglers and hundreds of jeep owners are looking for this gear. We have to modify the 87-99 gear to get it working. Do you or can you make this gear? We can get hundreds of signatures if necessary. Please help.

Joe

-----------------------------------------------
CROWN:

We do not currently carry the gear for the 00-06 TJ. We are currently looking into making it. Do you have any information in regards to how the early gears are modified to work with a late TJ?

Regards,
Adam Dunderdale
Customer Service Representative
Crown Automotive Sales Co. Inc.,

----------------------------------------------
Me:

Yes, I actually modified the gear so I can speak in great detail. The good news is that the helical gear meshes perfectly so that part does not need modification. The problem with the gear you currently sell is the pin hole is located slightly higher than what we need. Also, it only has one of the two holes (the pin needs to go completely through the gear), but that may be necessary because some folks comment that their OPDA shaft hole isn't centered which requires a custom drilled second hole.

So, we have two options. First, we could drill the second hole 180 degrees from the first at the same height as the first. Then, we have to fab up a shim to get the proper amount of play between the shaft and the housing. This has a minor affect of raising the point at which the cam gear meshes with this gear.

The second option is to drill two new holes at the proper height at 90 degrees and 270 degrees of the stock hole. This is a bit more involved, but does away with the shim and doesn't affect the mesh.

I'd also like to bring up the fact that 2005 and 2006 TJ owners do not have a source for the OPDA itself. The gear we're discussing attaches to the OPDA and fails because the OPDA has a design flaw which causes a bearing to fail, thus causing the cam to tear up this gear. LDI is the manufacturer, but they're out of business and Chrysler has hundreds of back orders because we're now starting to discover this flaw. Can you guys make a better OPDA? It will be a win-win if you can.

Here is the link to the forum which describes in great detail what is happening. We really do not have a solution other than custom modification and a new gear (which we're discussing above).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/

------------------------------------------------
CROWN:

Hi Joe,

I appreciate the great detail that you provided to me. It will most definitely help me in providing a part that will function indefinitely.

Just so we’re clear, when they changed the design in 04/05 they swapped the location of the bearing and the seal so that the bearing gets starved of lubrication and fails, creating play in the shaft and causing the OPDG to get chewed up by the cam. Is this correct?

So this problem only happens to 05/06 TJ’s due to the change in the design?

Is it known why the gears on the 00/04 TJ’s OPDG fail?

When we source a new OPDA we will work on getting an improved version released.

Regards,
Adam Dunderdale
Crown Automotive Sales Co. Inc.,

--------------------------------------------------
Me:

Hi Adam, that's great news!

You are correct that when the design changed the oil seal was moved from above the top bearing to below it. As far as we know, every 2005 and 2006 TJ is affected. It's really just a matter of time before the unlubricated bearing overheats, begins to seize, increases the amount of friction required to turn the shaft, and cascades to a gear failure. If you're lucky you'll catch it before a complete failure which would cause a complete loss of oil pressure which some folks have experienced.

As far as we know, 2000-2004 TJ's do not experience this problem because they still use the old OPDA design with the oil seal above the top bearing. So, I may have incorrectly stated the date range for this issue. It is really just TJ's with the new OPDA design (2005 and 2006 model TJ's).

If you read through the hundreds of pages in the forum, folks have performed Rockwell hardness tests on 2005-2006 gears and found them to be of equal hardness to prior year gears. Given that information, we cannot point the finger at the gear metal being too soft. In fact, we would prefer the gear to sacrifice itself as opposed to the cam splines failing. The problem with that scenario is that we periodically require gears that fit with little modification (which is why i initially contacted you)!

Contact me if you need any more information and thank you for your help.

Joe

-------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by liljpy; 02-21-2011 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Modifying thread title per Willydigger's request.
liljpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
uf20wop
2006 TJ Wrangler 

sweet! in for this!
uf20wop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

HERE IS MY SIGANTURE
(I want a complete new design OPDA!)
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice job Joe...keep us posted
JeepScrap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would suggest to Crown that they find a proven OPDA lubrication solution and incorporate that to any new model they may design. We are all speculating and making educational guesses to causes. While everything makes sense in the changes we are suggesting in the other threads, I am no expert.

More inertia, non-lubricated upper bushing, decreased oil lubrication are all unusual characteristics of the this OPDA. They all seem like likely contributors. Some, maybe all should be addressed. They should grab a bunch of proven distributors and see what they all have in common.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I wish them luck.

In the spirit of keeping things easy to find for newcomers here is a link the OPDA Failure thread. I will put a matching link to this thread also.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/
Unread 02-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

This would be a great victory in the OPDA dilemma.
Unread 02-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Please keep us informed on this. I hope they put together a new OPDA for us.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
mafbowhntr
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yep i wish someone had come up with a better design sooner,ie see my post on sad day for me
mafbowhntr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
liljpy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willydigger View Post
I would suggest to Crown that they find a proven OPDA lubrication solution and incorporate that to any new model they may design. We are all speculating and making educational guesses to causes. While everything makes sense in the changes we are suggesting in the other threads, I am no expert.

More inertia, non-lubricated upper bushing, decreased oil lubrication are all unusual characteristics of the this OPDA. They all seem like likely contributors. Some, maybe all should be addressed. They should grab a bunch of proven distributors and see what they all have in common.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I wish them luck.
Thanks for the help willydigger. I'll give CROWN a bit of time to respond to my last contact, but i think you're right in that we only have a working theory. We won't know for sure until someone creates a new OPDA with our suggestions and the redesign proves itself.
liljpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
07AMF
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This would be great. But isn't the OPDA patented by Chrysler.
07AMF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
pielet97
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm in for a better design!
Unread 02-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
05LongJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

I sent them an email too. What can it hurt at this point.

attn. Adam Dunderdale
I wanted to let you know that I am also looking for a gear or entire replacement OPDA(distributor) for my 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. My gear is worn across the entire gear tooth/face & I have no direct replacement available. I noticed one of my fellow Jeep Forum members had contacted you, so I thought I would do the same. I am planning on ordering the 83504635 & modifying. But would rather have a bolt on gear. Thank You
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:11 PM   #13
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

I think it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway. All 05-06 owners need this to come to fruition. I'll definitly buy one. Does anyone have an unmodified unit to send them? I imagine Crysler is having a hard time getting anyone to commit to building the old design, given the common knowledge that it causes collateral damage to the engine over time. I'm sure they fear that the blame and financial burden could likely be thrown in their laps.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #14
05LongJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

My thinking is that my warranty is up in December. Mine and probably most of the 7/70 Powertrain leftovers. On the day our financial burden is off the books. The miracle "Rev Z" OPDA will be released by Chrysler. $295.00 + shipping, Bankruptcy Solved!!! BTW, My local Jeep Dealer says that there is nothing wrong with my Jeep
Unread 02-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #15
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

that would be awesome
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.