new motor mounts? swap 2.4 to 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > new motor mounts? swap 2.4 to 4.0

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
ACL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

new motor mounts? swap 2.4 to 4.0

I get that I need to change the mounts in swapping the 4.0 into my 97 2.5 TJ but do they require welding? Where can I buy them?

ACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum!Yes it will be a weld in job.You could contact here. AdvanceAdapters.com | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
ACL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tip & the welcome. I went to Advanced adaptors and looked around some and didn't find the mounts. I guess I'll have to look harder. I also noted on another thread a post w/ mount part #'s but I wasn't clear where the mounts came from in that post.

I have some other questions such as will the bell housing from the 94 4.0 Cherokee meet up w/ my 97 2.5 TJ trans? Or should I try to put the Cherokee transmission and transfer case in there and if so what about the driveshafts?
Unread 07-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here would be a good place for you to start.The AW4 trans would be a good swap because of the overdrive! http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine.asp
Unread 07-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Stu's a great guy and does alot for this forum! Lot's of info on his site.Shoot him a PM!
Unread 07-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
ACL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I will. I've been looking further into the matter and it seems that I should pull the TJ 2.5 transmission & transfer case out as well and put in the AX-15 w/ transfer case that came w/ the 94-96 Cherokee. Better transmission I understand. Still concerned about the driveshafts though.

Found the motor mounts at Browndogs but wish there was a bolt on arrangement as I don't have a welder and hate to haul it to weld the mounts.

A little concerned about the change in transmission length and transfer case too.

With the mechanical portion out of the way I still have to deal w/ the accessories - AC radiator and so on and then the electrical.

One thing at a time...
Unread 07-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The transmission behind your 2.5 will not bolt up to a 4.0 I6, so a tranny swap will be required rather than optional.

You could have a welder come to you to do the motor mounts.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
ACL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply. Yea, at first I thought it would be easyer to change the bellhousing at the trans if possible and mate it up but I guess not. Thats ok though cuz if the AX-15 is a better piece I have it and might as well use it. When I stripped the Cherokee I thought it might come in handy even if only to sell it to recoup costs.

What about the drive shafts? Isn't the lengths w/ the new arrangement gonna be different?
Unread 07-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACL View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yea, at first I thought it would be easyer to change the bellhousing at the trans if possible and mate it up but I guess not. Thats ok though cuz if the AX-15 is a better piece I have it and might as well use it. When I stripped the Cherokee I thought it might come in handy even if only to sell it to recoup costs.

What about the drive shafts? Isn't the lengths w/ the new arrangement gonna be different?
The required driveshaft lengths after the swap will end up being real close to what they were previously.

I would not try to plan the motor location around the driveshaft lengths.
Unread 07-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
ACL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok thats great. Thanks again. I guess I'll know whether to use the Cherokee's shafts or the TJ's shafts when I get there.

And bringing Mohomed to the mountain, the welder to the jeep, makes good sense too provided I can find the welder. I do know of a couple of shops around here.

What about removing the front clip to do this work does that make sense to you?
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACL View Post
What about removing the front clip to do this work does that make sense to you?
Yes, I would pull the fenders and grill.

It does not take too long.

Tags
engine swap , motor mount

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.