new motor mounts? swap 2.4 to 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > new motor mounts? swap 2.4 to 4.0

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 07-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
ACL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

new motor mounts? swap 2.4 to 4.0

I get that I need to change the mounts in swapping the 4.0 into my 97 2.5 TJ but do they require welding? Where can I buy them?

ACL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum!Yes it will be a weld in job.You could contact here. AdvanceAdapters.com | Engine & Transmission Conversion Adapters - Advance Adapters
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
ACL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tip & the welcome. I went to Advanced adaptors and looked around some and didn't find the mounts. I guess I'll have to look harder. I also noted on another thread a post w/ mount part #'s but I wasn't clear where the mounts came from in that post.

I have some other questions such as will the bell housing from the 94 4.0 Cherokee meet up w/ my 97 2.5 TJ trans? Or should I try to put the Cherokee transmission and transfer case in there and if so what about the driveshafts?
Unread 07-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here would be a good place for you to start.The AW4 trans would be a good swap because of the overdrive! http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine.asp
Unread 07-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Stu's a great guy and does alot for this forum! Lot's of info on his site.Shoot him a PM!
Unread 07-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
ACL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I will. I've been looking further into the matter and it seems that I should pull the TJ 2.5 transmission & transfer case out as well and put in the AX-15 w/ transfer case that came w/ the 94-96 Cherokee. Better transmission I understand. Still concerned about the driveshafts though.

Found the motor mounts at Browndogs but wish there was a bolt on arrangement as I don't have a welder and hate to haul it to weld the mounts.

A little concerned about the change in transmission length and transfer case too.

With the mechanical portion out of the way I still have to deal w/ the accessories - AC radiator and so on and then the electrical.

One thing at a time...
Unread 07-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The transmission behind your 2.5 will not bolt up to a 4.0 I6, so a tranny swap will be required rather than optional.

You could have a welder come to you to do the motor mounts.
Unread 07-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
ACL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply. Yea, at first I thought it would be easyer to change the bellhousing at the trans if possible and mate it up but I guess not. Thats ok though cuz if the AX-15 is a better piece I have it and might as well use it. When I stripped the Cherokee I thought it might come in handy even if only to sell it to recoup costs.

What about the drive shafts? Isn't the lengths w/ the new arrangement gonna be different?
Unread 07-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACL View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yea, at first I thought it would be easyer to change the bellhousing at the trans if possible and mate it up but I guess not. Thats ok though cuz if the AX-15 is a better piece I have it and might as well use it. When I stripped the Cherokee I thought it might come in handy even if only to sell it to recoup costs.

What about the drive shafts? Isn't the lengths w/ the new arrangement gonna be different?
The required driveshaft lengths after the swap will end up being real close to what they were previously.

I would not try to plan the motor location around the driveshaft lengths.
Unread 07-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #10
ACL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok thats great. Thanks again. I guess I'll know whether to use the Cherokee's shafts or the TJ's shafts when I get there.

And bringing Mohomed to the mountain, the welder to the jeep, makes good sense too provided I can find the welder. I do know of a couple of shops around here.

What about removing the front clip to do this work does that make sense to you?
Unread 07-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACL View Post
What about removing the front clip to do this work does that make sense to you?
Yes, I would pull the fenders and grill.

It does not take too long.

Tags
engine swap , motor mount

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.