New Moog track bar, but steering wheel is off center. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Moog track bar, but steering wheel is off center.

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki50" white/amber dual-color LED lights bars for $349 S

Unread 05-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #1
banjo_picker
1999 TJ Wrangler 

New Moog track bar, but steering wheel is off center.

I just put in a new Moog DS1235 track bar in my '99 TJ. My wobble issue is taken care of, but now my steering wheel is off center. The track bar seemed slightly longer than the stock one.

I test drove the Jeep for a few miles and it is driving fine and tracks straight when I take my hands off the wheel. The only issue is that the wheel is off center.

Is this normal/expected? And what should I do about it? Get an alignment? Am I going to screw up anything if I drive it?

Thanks!

banjo_picker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
pismo61
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think they maybe longer.Im up 2.5 inches and centered with the Moog track bar.I read on this forum somewhere on this forum they were longer,like a 1/4 inch a few days ago.Just center your steering wheel,then you should be good.
Unread 05-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
98TJSE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Another Moog issue LOL

you can leave it but remeber on full lock your extending the clockspring further then before(direction it is already turned a bit)

You can also recenter your steering wheel by adjusting drag link, loosen both bolts on the sleeve clamp and a pipewrench work wonders.. this is just to recenter steering, this has no effect on actual alignment .. heres a pic..

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main....2_itemId=49527
98TJSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
jeepn4life92
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You won't screw anything up by driving it, but I'd adjust it the way 98tjse mentioned. Don't waste your money on an alignment, it's nothing you can't do yourself.
jeepn4life92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
banjo_picker
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TJSE View Post
Another Moog issue LOL

you can leave it but remeber on full lock your extending the clockspring further then before(direction it is already turned a bit)

You can also recenter your steering wheel by adjusting drag link, loosen both bolts on the sleeve clamp and a pipewrench work wonders.. this is just to recenter steering, this has no effect on actual alignment .. heres a pic..

Cool. So I loosen the two nuts in the picture, and then turn the turnbuckle as needed?

Thanks!
Unread 05-02-2015, 01:12 PM   #6
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo_picker View Post

Cool. So I loosen the two nuts in the picture, and then turn the turnbuckle as needed?

Thanks!
You got it.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
banjo_picker
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Got 'er done. Thanks guys!
Unread 05-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #8
Leffnasty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quick question that's relevant. I centered the wheel after a new track bar, but when the wheel is centered the pitman arm is definitely NOT straight, actually quite far to one side. I have driven it couple hundred miles and wheeled once with no issues. This wouldn't cause any problems with the steering box would it?
Leffnasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2015, 06:32 PM   #9
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffnasty View Post
Quick question that's relevant. I centered the wheel after a new track bar, but when the wheel is centered the pitman arm is definitely NOT straight, actually quite far to one side. I have driven it couple hundred miles and wheeled once with no issues. This wouldn't cause any problems with the steering box would it?
The pitman arm is not mounted straight out on a TJ. If you have the same number of turns of the wheel to go full left as full right, you got it right.
Unread 05-02-2015, 06:52 PM   #10
26679cj5
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TJSE View Post
Another Moog issue LOL

Don't use a pipe wrench anywhere on your steering linkage. It can create stress risers. Lube the turnbuckle with antisieze before assembly, and it will never need anything more than a turn of the wrist to adjust once you have loosened the bolts.
26679cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #11
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

For some OEM parts that never had antisease applied to the to the threads, using a pipe wrench is inevitable...
Unread 05-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #12
26679cj5
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

On the drag link or tie rod adjusters? No way. There is a hook shaped tool made specifically for adjusting them, or spray a little lube in there and use a flat head screwdriver or similar in the open gap to work it loose.
Unread 05-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #13
98TJSE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26679cj5 View Post
On the drag link or tie rod adjusters? No way. There is a hook shaped tool made specifically for adjusting them, or spray a little lube in there and use a flat head screwdriver or similar in the open gap to work it loose.
ive used pipe wrenches for 20 years never once did I have an issue just gotta be smart, and use common sence like using a hi lift LOL ..
98TJSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #14
26679cj5
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I carry one in my tool bag too,but it's a last resort type of thing...lol.
Unread 05-03-2015, 07:15 AM   #15
banjo_picker
1999 TJ Wrangler 

FWIW… I soaked mine in PB blaster and it turned easy by hand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.