New Mods w/Pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Mods w/Pics

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 07-22-2004, 08:06 PM   #1
bondo303

New Mods w/Pics

I just did a bunch of mods over the past month. Here is the list:

Rubicon Express Budget Boost
Springs from a Rubicon (ebay-dirt cheap, only 500 miles on them)
5-Cragar 342, black steel wheels, 15x8 4" backspace
Warn Rear Bumper & tire Carrier. (the wife surprised me for
my B-day. I was really surprised considering how much
she hates the amount of time I spend with the Jeep)
Jeeperman third brake light. (just to stay legal in NY)
Jeepit.com mirror brackets
Skid Row engine skid plate
Cobra 75wx st CB
Firestik II antenna
Bestop Duster
Bestop Bikini
Recovery-shackles, tow strap
Set of tools for the trail

Here are some pics. Going wheeling in 2 weeks, will post some flexin pics soon after.

-Jon

48 CJ2A
bondo303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2004, 08:13 PM   #2
04JeepTJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

That's a sweet ride. How about a before pic just for $hits and giggles
04JeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2004, 08:15 PM   #3
red99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good, the tires look bigger than 31", or at least they do to me
Unread 07-22-2004, 08:27 PM   #4
bondo303

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04JeepTJ
That's a sweet ride. How about a before pic just for $hits and giggles
As requested....

Day 1 only 11 miles on it

1st summer with the Jeep at the beach

A few weeks ago before the lift but with the wheels

I am going to take side by side pics of mine next to my friends which is completely stock. Doing this as a comparison for people that want to see the difference between a stock jeep and the BB. You can really see a big difference.

48 CJ2A
Unread 07-22-2004, 08:36 PM   #5
Spiderman

Did the Rubicon springs give you any extra lift?
33 X 12.50 BFG A/T's with A/R Atlas 15 X 8 wheels
4.56's, RE 3.5" lift, Currie 1" BL, M.O.R.E. 1" MML
Aussie D30 Locker, & other crap[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2004, 08:46 PM   #6
bondo303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
Did the Rubicon springs give you any extra lift?
Ok this is controversial......That being said, I had 20,000 miles on my springs and the Rubicons only have 500 miles on them. So it can be argued that my springs were old or tired. I also read that the part numbers on the spring coincide with the spring rate. For example I went from #103 in the rear to #105. Theoretically, the spring rate would be stiffer. The springs were the same length side by side, I went from 129 to 129 in the front, No difference except that one set has 19,500 miles less on them. I will say that the rear is high, I say that I gained 3 inches in the rear and about 2 1/2 in the front. I don't know if it has been proven if the higher # for the spring means a stiffer spring rate. I will tell you this... I am very pleased so far. Tomorrow morning, I am going for an alignment, and I will test for vibes. I did notice some squeeking. Is this normal? Will update tomorrow.

48 CJ2A
Unread 07-22-2004, 10:25 PM   #7
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, looks really good! My 31's are on and the BB is sitting in the garage... arghg, I hate waiting for the weekend to get here! Side by side pics of yours next to a stocker would be cool to see...
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2004, 11:02 PM   #8
Spiderman

The 2 1/2 to 3 inches would be in connection with the 2" BB correct?? So you think you gained between 1/2" and 1" with just the RUBI springs?? I'd like to get a set because I have 30K on my '01 Sport and mine came with only a soft top, so I think I have softer springs. If I can find some new springs from a hard top, I'm hoping to gain at least 1/2"
33 X 12.50 BFG A/T's with A/R Atlas 15 X 8 wheels
4.56's, RE 3.5" lift, Currie 1" BL, M.O.R.E. 1" MML
Aussie D30 Locker, & other crap[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2004, 11:08 PM   #9
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

To give you and idea of what new springs are like here are links to 2 of my imagestation albums. One shows my '04 with stock 30's and the other shows my TJ with 31's. I still have lot's of room even with 31's and as I've said before 0 rubbing. My springs only have 6k miles on them...

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286891275
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286212191
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2004, 01:06 AM   #10
slimP
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet Jeep, I have always like that color.
--==(Blue Jeep Club Member #11)==--
--==(Pride, Heritage, Tradition - The American Legend - JEEP)==--
slimP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2004, 07:18 AM   #11
MA_GOAT

Nice work man,

My dream girl would buy me stuff like bumpers'n wheels'n sh..t !!!

How do you like that Warn rear bumper + Tire carrier ?

I'm thinking about going that way but haven't had time to ask anyone about it.

Cheers

young goat that wants to be a big goat

_(OIIIIIIIO)_
MA_GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2004, 10:26 AM   #12
bondo303

First, thanks for the comments....

OK, to answer a few questions.....

Spiderman,

From what I have seen, the springs range from 103-106 for the rear and 126-130 for the front. You would want 106 for the rear and 130 for the front for the most lift. I have also heard that the higher the #, the heavier it is, therefore, it should have a stiffer spring rate. I should have weighed them when I had the chance. My TJ is soft top only, with the I-6 and 5 speed and came with 103 for the rear and 129 for the front. I think equipment has to do with the part# for the springs. This is why I think the back looks alittle bit taller than the front because I went from 103-105 in back and the front stayed the same at 129.

MA_GOAT,

I like the Warn bumper/tire carrier alot. I like the way it looks. The tire is mounted higher. It just looks really good. I will tell you that it is heavy. Helps to have someone help install it. Easy to install. A little time consuming. There is drilling involved so you need to be sure that you measure correctly and accurately. Overall, I am very pleased. It is somewhat expensive. If I would have known that she was going to buy it, I would have checked out the LOD.

As far as the BB install. It was cake. Only one bloody knuckle. It took about 4 hours. The hardest part was taking the front shocks off (they were rusty on top) and also pressing the bar pin through the new rear shocks. Other than that it was really really easy.

48 CJ2A

Last edited by bondo303; 07-23-2004 at 02:27 PM..
Unread 07-23-2004, 10:28 AM   #13
04JeepTJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

There's a difference in rear springs if your jeep came with a hardtop vs softtop only. when i take my hardtop off my rear goes up about 3/4". i have a 04 sahara dualtop..
04JeepTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2004, 10:44 AM   #14
n4phth4

I will be getting rid of my '04 Rubi springs whenever I can get this dang OME lift done. Although I will not be getting rid of them right away -- gonna drive around a bit on the OME before hockin' the Rubi stuff. Will also be getting rid of diamond plate rockers (dang AEVs still waiting for install) and the MOAB wheels. Only black steelies for me, thank you very much.

edit -- springs have 11,000 miles on them, or 5 months (to the day!) of driving, to date. Mostly concrete driving though.

bondo303, thats a nice lookin ride and I suspect it wasn't too much $$ to kill the bank either. About that Jeeperman brake light -- I have not seen these in person yet. They sit in the center of the spare? Hm. I wonder.... what happens when ya need to use that spare? What do you do with the light?

Also, which beach was that? On Long Island? LI is my hometown and I go there often but I know they're pretty anal retentive about having permits.

Ciao,
Keith.
n4phth4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2004, 11:45 AM   #15
bondo303

Keith,

Yes that was on Long Island. The beach is Cedar Beach, I think, It is next to Gilgo on Ocean Parkway. Yes they are very strict with permits but everytime I have been out there, there has not been one permit check. They do check permits at Robert Moses Field 2. This is where you get on to go to Demorcrats point. They have a check point there so they always check and they check for everything, including a port-a-potty and fishing poles w/bait and tackle seeing how this is a fishing permit.

The Jeeperman 3rd brake light kit is an easy install. You need to buy black silicon. What I did was drilled a half inch hole in the part that holds the tire on to the carrier. Then I used my Dremel to cut the hole to size. It is oblong almost like a capsule shape. Then I drilled a hole on the backside of the carrier and ran the wire down the tube and under the jeep. You need to pull the black plastic wheel well on the passenger side to run the wires inside to connect them to the 3rd brake light wires. When you open your tailgate you will see 2 contacts on the side, they are silver and are about the size of a dime. The wire connects to them from the other side in the wheel well. Very easy to do. Now I have the CB antenna run through he original brake light hole in the tailgate. The black silicon holds the light in place.

Here is a close up of the light in the tire.

Here is the back where the wire comes through

Here is where it goes under the jeep into the wheelwell and also the cb antenna mount.

48 CJ2A

Last edited by bondo303; 07-23-2004 at 02:33 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.