New (to me) Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New (to me) Jeep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
bryanintowson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

New (to me) Jeep

Greetings everyone!

In the next month I will be taking ownership of a 2002 TJ Sport. I'm excited to join the forum since this is my first Jeep. I am also the owner of a new FIAT 500 and I've had a great time getting to know my fellow owners on the forums for my other car.

I have made a list of things I'd like to mod on my Jeep and I'd like to solicit the opinions of everyone here for some product recommendations.

1. Exhaust - I've got it narrowed down to Magnaflow or Flowmaster. Thoughts/ Experiences?

2. Tub Liner - I have limited (read: none) garage facilities so a roll on liner would be ideal.

3. Fender flares - I like the look of the ones people use when they put gigantic tires on their Jeeps but I'm going to keep the tires stock for budgetary reasons.

4. Stereo - I've read that marine units are best. Head unit/ Speaker/ Amp recommendations?

5. Intake - I'm leaning K&N CAI based on some of the ones I've previously owned.

Thanks in advance for your help!

bryanintowson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Congratulations! Welcome!

First of all CAIs and exhaust won't do anything performance wise. But if you're doing it for sound, that's a different story.

I have a pioneer head unit and I hate it. I don't know the exact part number. But to change the radio station you have to hold the seek button, and it goes SO fast that it slips over 20 channels. You basically have to hope it lands on the correct one. BUT, I just listen to music on my iPhone, an it does have a lot of sounds controls which is nice.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Anonymity
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome!!

I actually have and 02 Sport also... You will love it... I would go without food if I needed the money for my Jeep.

Anyway, I will say that this forum has an unbelievable wealth of knowledge and experience. You have alot of questions in your post. You will find out, as I did, that that is too many questions for one thread. lol... I recommend you utilize the search function. This forum is like google, just type in what you are needing information about, and odds are that someone else here has had the same question/issue/problem/mod...etc... Case in point, search "K&N filter", pop a cold drink and just start reading... This forum will save you time/money/frustration. Congrats and your Jeep and welcome to the club!

Also, don't forget to wave at the other Jeepers!!
Anonymity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

List looks ok, except #5, K&N & CAI will do nothing for the motor, stock is best. replace #5 with something else more worthwhile.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
bryanintowson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I'm definitely going for sound on the exhaust any performance boost would just be icing on the cake. Stick with the stock intake? Sounds good to me and my wallet.

@anonymity - I have driven this Jeep a bunch before on the sands at Assateague National Park and the Jeep wave was definitely one of the coolest things I've learned about driving a Jeep.
bryanintowson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanintowson View Post
I am also the owner of a new FIAT 500
Time to turn in your "man card".
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
reichard117
2014 JK Wrangler 

^^^
welcome!
Unread 04-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
Submariner
Submariner

2005 TJ Wrangler 

[quote=bryanintowson;15314881]Greetings everyone!

1. Exhaust - I've got it narrowed down to Magnaflow or Flowmaster. Thoughts/ Experiences? Don't waste your money unless you are looking for more noise. Spend the money on doing something good like regear the axls when you change the tire size

2. Tub Liner - I have limited (read: none) garage facilities so a roll on liner would be ideal. Monstaliner, enough said....

3. Fender flares - I like the look of the ones people use when they put gigantic tires on their Jeeps but I'm going to keep the tires stock for budgetary reasons. Keep what ya got until ya get a lift on it and see what size of tires you are running, good size of tires is 33"

4. Stereo - I've read that marine units are best. Head unit/ Speaker/ Amp recommendations? [COLOR="Teal"]can't help ya, when the top is off, I can't hear it anyway at 50 MPH[/COLOR]

5. Intake - I'm leaning K&N CAI based on some of the ones I've previously owned. Save your money for something else. waste of money. buy tires and gears, that will do you some better good

Question for ya?

What kind of wheeling are you going to do?

Rock or mud or

sit in the parking lot to pick up girls?

Figure that out first and then plan accordingly.

Some fools try to make one jeep be able to do everything and then just throw money at it hoping something will stick and work when they are out playing.

If you are just going to chase girls, which is OK, Make it pretty, not to tall and loud.

Remember Chrome won't keep you from getting stuck.

Just an old mans opinion.

With 20 years in the US Navy, and nine+ years underwater on Nuc Sub's.

And they wonder why I am the way I am!!!!!!
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
locobranch
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just recently purchased a 98 TJ and it has a flowmaster muffler on it. I think it sounds pretty good for a six cylinder, not too loud. It also has a JVC head unit with Kicker speakers in the dash and the soundbar. I have to agree with previous poster that it don't do much while cruising at highway speeds. Hope you enjoy it as much as I am enjoying mine.
locobranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the illness!

1. I just snagged a magnaflow exhaust from a shop to fit my new 4-link rear. It sounds really throaty and is a quality product. So I would recommend Magnaflow.

2. As has been said... Monstaliner.

3. If you're just going for a different look, grab the Bushwacker pocket style. They are real nice if you treat them well. Don't overtighten when you first install them and you won't bust the screws through the holes in the pockets.

4. I got the Kenwood Excelon headunit that was installed by the PO. Absolutely love it, I have had no problems with it ever. Log on to crutchfield.com and look around for their sale on Alpine speakers. They are constantly having sales on them. I picked up mine for $56 shipped to my house. Don't bother just upgrading the speaker pods without doing the dash speakers. The sound will constantly sound like it's coming from behind you. Nalin MFG. is a vendor here on jeep forum and you can get speaker adapters from him for the dash mounted speakers. Do a search to find out what they're all about. Also stay away from the 4x6s. Its easier for them to have a lower quality sound. Get a 5 channel amp if you're concerned about space. I have two amps in the back of mine and I sometimes wish I had ponied up the cash for the 5 channel. Check out my build thread for the final install and you can see what I mean. Oh and make sure you get a low profile sub. Again... Crutchfield has sales on their products every single day. I get emails from them about 5 times a week.

5. Don't change the intake just yet. Figure out more what you want to do with the rig. Then make a more informed decision.
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT View Post
3. If you're just going for a different look, grab the Bushwacker pocket style. They are real nice.Log on to crutchfield.com and look around for their sale on Alpine speakers. They are constantly having sales on them.
Bushcracker pocket flares are crap and you lose tire clearance.Crutchfield has free shipping on everything.I live a mile from the store so I don't need it.
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichard117 View Post
^^^
welcome!
Saying you bought a Fiat 500 is like saying "I have a lifted Jeep on 37's and my other car is a VW beetle with a flower on the dash".Then following up that statement with.....but, I'm not gay.
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Bushcracker pocket flares are crap and you lose tire clearance.Crutchfield has free shipping on everything.I live a mile from the store so I don't need it.
Bushwacker pocket flares are not crap. See what I did there?? I refuted your biased blanket statement with my own biased blanket statement... Say something of value or don't say anything at all. Many people have great success with the Bushwacker products. On a related note... Since the OP didn't say anything about a lift or new tires and said that he liked the LOOK of aftermarket flares, I would say he's not much concerned with how much tire clearance he may or may not lose.
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
andrew321
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman

Saying you bought a Fiat 500 is like saying "I have a lifted Jeep on 37's and my other car is a VW beetle with a flower on the dash".Then following up that statement with.....but, I'm not gay.

Hey wait a minute... I have a lifted Jeep, and a 76 beetle. Whatchu tryin to say?. :P

No flower though. Just a huge stereo.
andrew321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew321 View Post
Hey wait a minute... I have a lifted Jeep, and a 76 beetle. Whatchu tryin to say?. :P

No flower though. Just a huge stereo.
The classic beetle you have is not the new style Flower power ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.