New to LJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
rbarrett
2004 LJ Wrangler 

New to LJ

I'm putting a 2" spring spacer on my 04 LJ. Since I used to have a YJ, this is new to me. Naturally, the sales guy said I wouldn't have any vibration problems due to the longer wheelbase. Is this correct? The Skyjacker kit I'm using only has the spacers and bump stop extensions. Do I need to be concerned about the sway bars using the stock locations?? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

you'll be fine on vibes. do JKS discos in front...you'll end up destroying the stupid ball link on the fronts anyway. hopefully that Skycrapper kit comes with shocks right?

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #3 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Kulae

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I installed the 2" BB on my LJ. No vibe problems at all from the install. And in my opinion, it's a well needed add on for the LJ's. It definitely makes it look right/normal.

2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Silver with a 6 Speed Manual
Jeeperman Winch Ready Front Bumper with Mile Marker PE8000 and 150W KC Daylighters
Body Armor Rear Bumper Swing Away and Matching Rocker Guards
Skyjacker 2" BB, 1.25" JKS BL and 1" JKS MML
75 WX ST CB radio with a 4' Firestik antenna
1.5" Seat risers custom made
33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich T/A and Procomp Rockcrusher Series 99 rims

post #4 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
rbarrett
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. No, I bought the "cheap" kit. Spacers only. I am on the "sch-tupid, oh did that break" plan. If the shocks blow, I get to buy new ones!!! Since I'm used to a YJ and no sway bars, are they needed on the coil spring suspension? Especially the rear.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sway bars are absolutely needed with coils. Coils are softer and don't have a locating element like leafs do. Keep the rear sway bar connected at all times and you can either disconnect the front (allows articulation but doesn't allow stability and control) when wheelin or get a Currie Antirock sway bar, which is the best option.

OlllllllO

IndyORV
post #6 of 9 Old 08-02-2010, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
rbarrett
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the guidance.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-03-2010, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
rbarrett
2004 LJ Wrangler 

More confusion

With the spring spacers adding 2", shouldn't the sway bars need a similar spacer to maintain the correct relationship?????
post #8 of 9 Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarrett View Post
With the spring spacers adding 2", shouldn't the sway bars need a similar spacer to maintain the correct relationship?????
read post #2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
do JKS discos in front...you'll end up destroying the stupid ball link on the fronts anyway.
on the rears, the sway bar won't get anywhere near binding because you're stock shocks with the BB will be so much of a limiting factor. you should buy new shocks. Skyjacker Hydros are cheap....

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #9 of 9 Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 PM
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Sway bars are absolutely needed with coils. Coils are softer and don't have a locating element like leafs do. Keep the rear sway bar connected at all times and you can either disconnect the front (allows articulation but doesn't allow stability and control) when wheelin or get a Currie Antirock sway bar, which is the best option.
4 cylinder TJs don't come with rear swaybars.

Edit: I'm sorry, I just realized we're discussing LJs here and I don't quite think that Jeep made a 4 cyl LJ.

(A 4cyl VM 2.8L TD would be the cat's meow though)

Tags
lj , wrangler , vibrations , lift , spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.