New liftgate glass and hinges. Doesn't look quite right. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New liftgate glass and hinges. Doesn't look quite right.

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-16-2014, 01:21 AM   #1
MickBurke
2005 TJ Wrangler 

New liftgate glass and hinges. Doesn't look quite right.

So the hinges on my TJ hardtop both gave out at the store the other day. Went toopen and one hing pin snapped, and as the glass shifted the other pin snapped.
Being right down the road from Quadratec, I drove over and picked up the "Kentrol Hardtop Liftgate Hinges in Stainless Steel" and installed them. As I did, the glass seemed a little cocked or something, like th hing did sit as far off the top as the previous hing did, but I expected after I was done, I would just adjust the bolts holding the hing to the top and get them to sit right.
Of course, as I was tightening up the wiper bolt, the glass exploded into a million pieces.
So I got a replacement glass from QTec and had it drop shipped to my mechanic who installed it today. When I went to pick it up, I found the glass sticking out at the bottom, and the hinges still seemed like they had when i isntalled them. I don't think he adjusted them at all.
The glass will just about close, then the tailgate will shove it the rest of the way, but knowing how easily you can push the glass too far, I'm thinking we need to get this right.

Anybody have any suggestions on what might be wrong? It seems like it needs a spacer between the hing and the hardtom, to kind of change the geometry of it and shift the top of the glass out a bit to make it sit straight , but I threw away all the old hardware during the two weeks while I was figuring out what to do and waiting for the glass to ship, so I don't know.

Here are some pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1034252...PSW1tGAhfzp_gE

Any input is MUCH appreciated!!

Mick

2014-12-15-15.42.03-medium-.jpg   2014-12-15-15.42.15-medium-.jpg   2014-12-15-15.42.44-medium-.jpg   2014-12-15-15.42.50-medium-.jpg   2014-12-15-15.43.05-medium-.jpg  

2014-12-15-15.43.21-medium-.jpg   2014-12-15-15.43.32-medium-.jpg  
MickBurke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 02:57 AM   #2
auburnhunter
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Are you sure the hinges are identical and not LEFT/RIGHT specific? Perhaps they need to be swapped.
Unread 12-16-2014, 03:06 AM   #3
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe the hinge thickness/offset is not the same as the OEM hinges. Did you compare them with each other? Maybe the new hinges could do with a shim to move them out a little further from the top.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 03:08 AM   #4
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

This may be of interest to you:
"However, fyi, I did find that these hinges may have a slightly lower height measurement when folded or closed, which may pinch your upper weatherstripping down more than your factory hinges did. This causes the window to pause closure just before being fully closed. You have to push it closed the rest of the way yourself. Although it doesn't feel like it will break anything. While the factory hinges would allow the window to fully close from it's own weight. I almost decided to place a spacer between the topper and the hinge plate to create more space but chose not to."

Comments about Kentrol Hardtop Liftgate Hinges: http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Exterior-Par...FSxgMgodrHgAvA

There also appears to be 2 different part numbers for the rear glass, one for 1997-2002 and the other is for 2003-2006. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-re...rangler-tj.htm

I have no idea what the difference is. To the OP, you have the 1997-2002 hardtop. What year back glass did you buy?... HTH
Unread 12-16-2014, 04:49 AM   #5
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

could the brackets for the soft top be impeding? I have to take mine off every winter when putting the hard top on. It might be that the hole in the hinges place the glass a smidge lower causing interference?
Unread 12-16-2014, 05:25 AM   #6
Dave02TJ
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
could the brackets for the soft top be impeding? I have to take mine off every winter when putting the hard top on. It might be that the hole in the hinges place the glass a smidge lower causing interference?
My brother has to take his soft top brackets as well or they cause interference.
I don't have to take mine off, they clear.
Dave02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #7
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave02TJ View Post
My brother has to take his soft top brackets as well or they cause interference.
I don't have to take mine off, they clear.
I had the OEM ones when I bought the jeep and they had no issues but when I bought my Bestop sunrider they interfere.
Unread 12-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
MickBurke
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the input everyone. I too was thinking they seem to need a shim to bump the top out to adjust the geometry. As the guy at the link shared said it does just seem shallower. So I guess the question is, is there such a shim out there, or do i need to look for something custom or fabricate something myself?

BTW, I did confirm that I have the 02 glass and the 02 top. Also that the soft top brackets are not interfering, they line up well, it doesn't even get to them, it looks like the upper grommet or gasket (or the frame of the hard top itself) is acting as the fulcrum/pivot point. I did see that other hinges appear to be left / right specific, but these ones do not appear to be.

Thanks again all.
Unread 12-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #9
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBurke View Post
Thanks for all the input everyone. I too was thinking they seem to need a shim to bump the top out to adjust the geometry. As the guy at the link shared said it does just seem shallower. So I guess the question is, is there such a shim out there, or do i need to look for something custom or fabricate something myself?

BTW, I did confirm that I have the 02 glass and the 02 top. Also that the soft top brackets are not interfering, they line up well, it doesn't even get to them, it looks like the upper grommet or gasket (or the frame of the hard top itself) is acting as the fulcrum/pivot point. I did see that other hinges appear to be left / right specific, but these ones do not appear to be.

Thanks again all.
Shims wouldn't hard to make at all, or maybe you can remove the hinges and (bend) tweak them?
Also I've had 2 different hardtops on my 2000 (both 03+), neither one had interference with the soft top brackets on the rear of the tub...
Unread 12-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #10
trickydick
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That upper wiper motor bolt is hitting the weather strip and leaving an indention.
trickydick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #11
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Shims wouldn't hard to make at all, ...?
Made me think of starting with some aluminum sheet, then started to think how critical the thickness would be. Started to wonder about dialing it in and a stack of plastic plates cut to fit? Can't think of anything black that is at the dollar store. Just trying to overthink this for the OP. Heck, some .06 thick aluminum would probably be fine.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #12
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I used the Kentrol hinges in black. Fit perfect and did not remove the soft top tabs, excellent product. The hinges are critical in alignment and the plastic spacers must be used to prevent metal to glass contact.

3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2014, 01:23 AM   #13
MickBurke
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickydick View Post
That upper wiper motor bolt is hitting the weather strip and leaving an indention.
I just noticed that too. Clearly the geometry is off. Perhaps shifting down a bit will help? Got shims ordered, and will likely have my guy try to loosen it up and adjust, and if that doesn't work add the shim(s).

thanks again everyone!
Unread 12-17-2014, 06:50 AM   #14
goducks3620
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I used the Kentrol ones too but didn't have any alignment issues, everything went back in just fine. but the area on mine where they mount appears to be more indented. I know they changed some of the hard top design in the early oughts, is that causing your issue?
img_20141207_114919121_hdr.jpg  
goducks3620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #15
goducks3620
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Amendment: I used Crown hinges, not Kentrol. I just looked it up. I used these: http://www.quadratec.com/products/13115_0002.htm

My new tailgate hinges are Kentrol, I had them mixed up.
goducks3620 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.