new lift.. need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > new lift.. need help

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.comAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 12-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
ktmboy98
1988 YJ Wrangler 

new lift.. need help

I am looking in getting 35" tires on a 4" lift. I have talked to a Couple of people and said that 35 won't clear without cutting parts of the wheel base.. this person Suggested I should get a 2" body lift along with the 4" suspension to clear 35"s... any opinions on doing anything else to clear 35"? also I don't want to spend more than the 4" suspension lift I am already looking at.

ktmboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
pmcjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

35s will fit with correct bumpstops and id check out the zone combo. Its a decent lift for the money that you could add to as you go.
Unread 12-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What's your budget including the tires
Unread 12-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I hope you have plans for more than just the lift if you plan to run 35" tires and 4" of lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you're so worried about clearance, get 33s instead.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
If you're so worried about clearance, get 33s instead.
Party pooper.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboy98 View Post
I don't want to spend more than the 4" suspension lift I am already looking at.
what lift are you looking at?

what are your plans for steering? brakes? gearing? those are usually as expensive as a quality lift. springs, shocks, and arms are only what it takes to fit 35's, the rest is needed to run them
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The only reason you would need to cut a anything is improper bumpstop extension. You should add a 1.25" body lift for potentially more up travel, but 2" is not something we recommend around here.

Also what do you plan to do about brakes, and gears. 35" tires are a lot to ask the stock brakes to stop. And how about the rear axle. Do you have a very common Dana 35, or the Dana 44 . I would not suggest 35" tires with a Dana 35 rear.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

First Post...

Listing "stock" in the profile doesn't help us much.

Running 35's "safely"with "dependability" and "driveability" isn't just about a lift and tires... there's more to it.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If he wants 35s why suggest 33s?? If he wanted 33s then he would of said it. He's obviously new to the forum.

If you want to run 35s at a bare minimum this is a cheap list of things I would consider.

-Zone 4.25 combo lift and correct bump stops
-ZJ tie rod
-BM pads and maybe new rotors

That's a minimum and going fairly cheap. Those parts are all good they aren't cheap per say but your missing plenty of components. Such as arms, track bars, highly recommended a SYE and cv shaft, and gears would probably be number one after the lift, steering, brakes.

Running 35s with the stuff I listed isn't really bad, but that's really more to get you started while you add to the suspension and to the build as time goes on.
If you wanna run 35s with just a 4" lift and be done well go for it it's perfectly doable and drive able. But it is NOT what you want. As time goes on you'll learn why. Expect to drop roughly 5000-7000$ including the price of the tires (not including new wheels if you want new wheels) for a decent set up with everything I listed upgraded. Expect $10k for a great solid build with 100% quality parts.
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorres018 View Post
If he wants 35s why suggest 33s?? If he wanted 33s then he would of said it. He's obviously new to the forum.

If you want to run 35s at a bare minimum this is a cheap list of things I would consider.

-Zone 4.25 combo lift and correct bump stops
-ZJ tie rod
-BM pads and maybe new rotors

That's a minimum and going fairly cheap. Those parts are all good they aren't cheap per say but your missing plenty of components. Such as arms, track bars, highly recommended a SYE and cv shaft, and gears would probably be number one after the lift, steering, brakes.

Running 35s with the stuff I listed isn't really bad, but that's really more to get you started while you add to the suspension and to the build as time goes on.
If you wanna run 35s with just a 4" lift and be done well go for it it's perfectly doable and drive able. But it is NOT what you want. As time goes on you'll learn why. Expect to drop roughly 5000-7000$ including the price of the tires (not including new wheels if you want new wheels) for a decent set up with everything I listed upgraded. Expect $10k for a great solid build with 100% quality parts.
This is a great OP. Read this.

I just wanted to add some more info about why the Zone 4.25 Inch Lift Kit is recommended for. That is a combo kit so it includes a 3 inch suspension lift and a 1.25 body lift. The lower suspension lift allows you to get away fewer drive line modifications to minimize vibrations and maintain a nice on road ride. With 3 inches of suspension lift and the 1 inch Motor Mount Lift you SHOULD be able to get away without a SYE and CV drive shaft, but every Jeep is a little different.

To get back to you original question, that lift with the included bump stop extensions should give you enough room to clear 35's without any kind of trimming. That being said, you'll want to cycle the suspension after install in ensure clearance.

-Ryan
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
ktmboy98
1988 YJ Wrangler 

ktmboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would also suggest you stick with a 33" tire. You will still likely want to upgrade the brakes to black magic pads and centric premium rotors. And gearing is also important if you like the ability to accelerate at a decent pace.

You are one of many who come here every month set on 35" tires and a 4" suspension lift. After you learn how much work and cash it takes to do it safely and reliably you will find 33's are all you probably want, or need.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboy98 View Post
2500 including tires?? If so good luck. Are you daily driving this jeep? Do you even off road? What kind of off roading do you do? How far do you commute? Will it be towed to the trails? Lots of questions can be asked if you want real help.
If 2500 is your budget, get 31" mtrs, 1" BL MML, belly up skid, engine skid, and a spartan front locker and have fun. If daily drive this and really want 35s save those 2500 and do whatever you can to quadruple it. If your going for the look, do the zone lift with zj tie rod and re gear.
Unread 12-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #15
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Exactly why I suggested 33s...

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.