New Jeep Owner need some help!!!! Mismatched gear ratios? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New Jeep Owner need some help!!!! Mismatched gear ratios?

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 09-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
Jeeper_joe
1999 TJ Wrangler 

New Jeep Owner need some help!!!! Mismatched gear ratios?

hey guys just got a 97 TJ 2.5L 5spd with 147k for basically $3k, nice jeep so far. It has aftermarket bumpers, 4'' lift with 35's, stock axles, and im pretty sure it has 4.88 gears out bk and 4.10s up front though i havent pulled the covers off yet to make sure, u can feel some binding in 4wd that im sure isnt normal.... basically im totally new to wheelin a jeep decently machanically inclined and need some advice on where to spend money affectively.........

ANY advise is very much appreicated

Jeeper_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
Dolfy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you have different gearing in the front axle then that is where you need to spend your money first. Your axles need to match and if they don't and you use your 4wd you can really screw it up. You should find out what you have in your axles first before you use it in 4wd.

You may also want to read this thread about running 35's on a d35.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/35...-bomb-1262916/
Blue Jeep Club member #170

Thought for the day:
Some people are like Slinkies... They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a huge smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.......
Dolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 05:29 AM   #3
mikesbeachhut
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jack both front tires off the ground and count how many times the front drive shaft goes around for 1 tire revolution.Write it down.Now do the same for the back wheels.Write it down and compare it to the front.Should be the same.
mikesbeachhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper_joe View Post
hey guys just got a 97 TJ 2.5L 5spd with 147k for basically $3k, nice jeep so far. It has aftermarket bumpers, 4'' lift with 35's, stock axles, and im pretty sure it has 4.88 gears out bk and 4.10s up front though i havent pulled the covers off yet to make sure, u can feel some binding in 4wd that im sure isnt normal.... basically im totally new to wheelin a jeep decently machanically inclined and need some advice on where to spend money affectively.........

ANY advise is very much appreicated
First statement explains the second. You need to check/varify your gearing. If you are correct about the gears I would recomend removing the front driveshaft until you re-gear the front diff to match the rear.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
[.... u can feel some binding in 4wd that im sure isnt normal....
Two different gear ratios would explain that!
Good advice from 'noturmailman'. Do not drive in 4WD till you know for sure!
Will get expensive quickly!
If different gears, remove front drive shaft. Easy to do with a 1/4" ratchet set and a 6" extension..... 20 min the first time.

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

when you say you can feel it 'binding', is this when you are turning? or when you are going straight? You have tried putting it in 4wd already? if you survived that, then I imagine they are the same ratios.

If it's when you are turning (on concrete) this is probably normal to feel some tightness while turning sharply in 4wd.

But man I would imagine if there really were different ratios in front and rear, in 4wd on concrete you probably wouldn't be able to move a foot forwards or backwards without serious tire chirping/hopping, I imagine you would know immediately (and probably break something?) as soon as you slam it into 4wd. Just guessing on that though.

Would you be able to tell without jacking the vehicle up, and just by simply counting how many times both driveshafts turn while slowly rolling forward in 2wd? both driveshafts should rotate the same amount of times per given distance, correct? Or would it just be easier to jack up the front and rear and do it that way?
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
LOCAL
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
Two different gear ratios would explain that!
Good advice from 'noturmailman'. Do not drive in 4WD till you know for sure!
Will get expensive quickly!
If different gears, remove front drive shaft. Easy to do with a 1/4" ratchet set and a 6" extension..... 20 min the first time.

RJ
As stated above this post if you even think you might have different gearing in your axles, do not drive at all unless the front driveshaft is removed. But i would think if you had 4.88 in the back and 4.10 in the front something would have already broken.

On a different note, unless you know the maintenance history i would spend some money there. Go over the whole jeep check for worn suspension and drivetrain, and steering components, leaking oil seals things like that. Change transmission fluid, transfer case and differential fluid, flush the coolant, brake fluid, plugs, filters, and all that fun stuff.
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ View Post
... remove front drive shaft. Easy to do with a 1/4" ratchet...
Is it 1/4"?

I think they are 3/8".
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #9
LOCAL
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Is it 1/4"?

I think they are 3/8".
The bolts are like 9mm i believe. i think he was saying use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Is it 1/4"?

I think they are 3/8".
He means use a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 6" extension and the correct 5/16's or 8mm socket. Need more coffee?
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
He means use a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 6" extension and the correct 5/16's or 8mm socket. Need more coffee?

Wow, I'm slow today. I don't drink coffee, but maybe I should start.

I thought it was 8 mm, but the math wasn't adding up with my 3/8" guess.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jeeper Joe, are you noticing the binding/steering feedback after you've shifted into 4x4 while you're driving on pavement? If so, that's your issue as you cannot use the Wrangler's part-time type of 4x4 system on pavement. Your Wrangler's axles are mechanically locked together whenever you're in 4Hi or 4Lo which means the front axle's tires will not be allowed to rotate faster than the rear tires through a turn as they must be able to do. Only a Full-Time 4x4 system like is available on a Grand Cherokee can be used on pavement. Wranglers do not have a full-time 4x4 system available, they only come with offroad-only part-time 4x4 systems.

The good news is that the Wrangler's part-time 4x4 system is a far more aggressive 4x4 system which is better offroad than a street-oriented full-time 4x4 system is.

Try your 4x4 out on dirt and see how it feels then. The dirt surface will allow the front and rear tires to turn at the different rpms they need to during even slight turns. I'd be very surprised if the rear axle was regeared to 4.88 and the front was left at 4.10.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

that ratio is different enough that "some binding" wouldn't even begin to describe what would happen if those ratios were correct.
i suspect you were simply feeling the wind up that happens when you try driving around on a hard surface in high range.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
... reason i think they are different is ...... put it in 4wd a few times on sand but on grass or gravel u can just hear the tires slippping alot. so no more 4wd for me until i figure that out
He posted twice. This is from other thread.
Suspect he got no response to first time posting..... waited an hour..... posted again.

RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #15
Jeeper_joe
1999 TJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the fast replys everyone. and i havent locked it in 4wd on pavement but the binding is when driving straight not just when turning so im gonna pull the covers off this weekend and look everything over real good and change fluids. ive already changed tie rod ends and a few small things but everthing else seems to be in pretty good shape. besides my steering gear box leaking and feeling a lil sloppy

sorry for the double post by the way wasnt sure if it was in the right spot or not..
Jeeper_joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
35s , gears , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.