New jeep owner! (exhaust leak and oil leak) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New jeep owner! (exhaust leak and oil leak)

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 03-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
Mindcrime13
2006 TJ Wrangler 

New jeep owner! (exhaust leak and oil leak)

Hello guys!

Im new to the forum, this is my first post but i have read a lot here and found tons of useful info, well i just got myself into a jeep for the first time, i come from the mustang world, but have always like the jeeps, so i sold the mustang and got a 2006 65th anniversary wrangler, for 16k it only has 45k miles

i drove it this weekend across the island (im from PR) the jeep held up great, when i got home i checked everything and the only 2 issues i found were, some oil dripping thru the sides of the oil pan, im thinking it could be the gasket from the oil pan, but also saw some oil coming from the oil filter, so idk,

the other issue is that i think i have a exhaust manifold leak, but im not sure, (the mustangs are known for the manifold cracking at the flange, so im a bit familiar with the leak sound) i got a video of the sound so you guys could tell me if that is normal or if its a leak , you can hearlyy clearly on 0:12

thanks for your help!!

YouTube - Sound

Mindcrime13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It doesn't sound like an exhaust leak to me.

It sounds more like the normal noises you hear from a 4.0 I6.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The oil might have just ran down the pan when the filter was changed.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds pretty normal to me. The oil could well be coming from the filter. When the filter is changed you usually get some oil that spills and runs down the side of the block. If it's not cleaned up well it can puddle on the bottom flange of the block and run down the side of the pan. If the rubber gasket on the old filter stuck to the block and wasn't removed before installing the new filter you'll usually get a leak. An over tightened filter can leak.

Clean the engine well and watch for the source of the oil.

Welcome to the forum and the world of Jeeps.
Unread 03-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
Mindcrime13
2006 TJ Wrangler 

ok! hm i thought that the sound from 0:11 till the end of the vid could be a leak, but if that's normal, ill get use to it!

also these a sort of whine in the power steering pump pulley when i accelerate, can i put some wd40 on it?

thanks for your help guys!
Unread 03-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Mindcrime13
2006 TJ Wrangler 

what benefits can i get from a header also? i found this one locally for a really good price:

it already have the gasket, do i have to change anything else if i change this?
Unread 03-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcrime13 View Post
what benefits can i get from a header also? i found this one locally for a really good price:

it already have the gasket, do i have to change anything else if i change this?
On a stock I6, very little benefit.

I'd consider it a gamble and not a very good one. You may have cracking problems with that header, probably more likely than if you kept the stock manifold.

The stock 2 piece manifold has a good record for holding up. The aftermarket headers for the 4.0 I6 do not have such a good record, but its mostly the 1 piece headers that fail.

Not many people are using the headers like you posted above because the 2 piece factory manifolds are holding up so well.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
On a stock I6, very little benefit.

I'd consider it a gamble and not a very good one. You may have cracking problems with that header, probably more likely than if you kept the stock manifold.

The stock 2 piece manifold has a good record for holding up. The aftermarket headers for the 4.0 I6 do not have such a good record, but its mostly the 1 piece headers that fail.

Not many people are using the headers like you posted above because the 2 piece factory manifolds are holding up so well.
Good advice...
Unread 03-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
Mindcrime13
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the advice guys, one last question is a whooshhhh hallow kind of sound , like when you blow an empty glass bottle normal? It goes away when accelerating
Unread 03-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
Mindcrime13
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i just found the whoosh issue, its the belt, its stretch, i saw a thread on how to inspect the belt, with the 2 line in the tensioner and im almost in the first line, also notice that the tensioner swings up and down a bit, its this normal?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.