NEW JEEEP where to start?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > NEW JEEEP where to start??

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Winksahoy

NEW JEEEP where to start??

I bought my first jeep today, it's an 05 wrangler Sahara se.
6 cylinder with only tires and rims done everything else is stock.

So what priority should I take in modding this?
I really want to lift it, put on front bumper/winch, back bumper, rock sliders on the side, and some
Armor around just for protection.

So again I ask, any idea how I should prioritize
My mods? Like what is important to get done and what can wait?

Winksahoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
calsouthjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Only words of advice I have if go quality over quantity of parts. It may take longer to get your jeep to where you want it but you will be much happier than if you just slap some cheap stuff on it.
calsouthjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
TumorNamedMarla
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Agreed with calsouthjeep. Decide what you want to do with your jeep. Daily driver that never leaves the asphalt, trails only, or somewhere in between. Your axle size (D35 or 44) and gearing will determine what size tires you can run.
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum.

First thing you should do is basic maintenance and change all fluids. Spend some time on the creeper and get to know your Jeep. Meet people with Jeeps in your area and take it off road in stock form. Once again, get to know your Jeep off road and see where it lacks and what needs changed.

Enjoy it.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529
Welcome to the forum.

First thing you should do is basic maintenance and change all fluids. Spend some time on the creeper and get to know your Jeep. Meet people with Jeeps in your area and take it off road in stock form. Once again, get to know your Jeep off road and see where it lacks and what needs changed.

Enjoy it.
X2.

Talk with people who were in your shoes and do the same terrain you will. Find out what they did and what they suggest. Then come back here when you figure out what you need and ask questions. Don't rush into anything otherwise you may end up regretting your decision.
If you have an urge to spend money, do stuff to your interior.
Above all else, research research research.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
COsahara
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'd start by figuring out what Jeep you have, no such thing as a Sahara "se". The Sahara for 05 is the second highest trim package below the Rubicon, the "SE" is the lowest Jeep available on the rung and has a 4 banger.

-Sahara
-se
- 6 cylinder
Does not compute son.

I would recommend figuring out what exactly is in your driveway as your most critical first step.

Really just teasing, but if you say you have a Sahara "se" to any TJ owner, they will probably be snickering on the inside. Also, enter your VIN to get the factory buildcode to see exactly what you have regarding axles, gears, etc. You can do this through a Jeep website (and wait for an email), or there is another site that gives you almost everything instantly. Not sure of the exact sites, search this site or google.
COsahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Stock JEEPS are very capable wheelers, more than you. Practice driving it and do a ton of reading here then follow what you thing you should do first.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
Sac2013

Welcome to the Jeep club, it is very addicting! First thing is to learn the Jeep wave. Maintenance is the next thing. Like said earlier, get on your back and spend some time underneath it. If you see some trouble areas and not sure what they are, you are at the best place for answers. If you are really itching to spend some money, get a bumper and winch. A stock Jeep with a winch can get you just about anywhere you want to go. Research all the pro's/con's of different lift combination out there before dropping the $$$$.
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
calsouthjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don't understand why when someone new comes into this forum somebody has to bring up the Jeep wave, pretend like its really important, and somehow you need to do it in order to be accepted.
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
COsahara
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calsouthjeep View Post
I don't understand why when someone new comes into this forum somebody has to bring up the Jeep wave, pretend like its really important, and somehow you need to do it in order to be accepted.
This is amusing to me also, especially if you live in a Jeep mecha area like Colorado. If I waved to every Jeep I saw on the road it would be all I would do, to rectify this I have trimmed down wave candidates:

JK: lol gtfo
TJ: If they notice and wave and I notice I will wave
TJ Sahara pre 2004: Everytime

Helps cut down on the waving, plus there are just too many here!
COsahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
Sac2013

Quote:
I don't understand why people have to be asses on forums either. The Jeep wave isn't really important, but I understand the value in it. Jeepers has always been a friendly, helpful crowd. So call me crazy, but I feel like I have a bond with other Jeepers when I pass them on the road so I give them a wave.
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
calsouthjeep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac2013 View Post
I don't understand why people have to be asses on forums either. The Jeep wave isn't really important, but I understand the value in it. Jeepers has always been a friendly, helpful crowd. So call me crazy, but I feel like I have a bond with other Jeepers when I pass them on the road so I give them a wave.
If that hurt your feelings you need tougher skin. Haha the hypocrisy of you saying its not important to you right after you put it above maintenance as a priority is shocking.
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
jhigday

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nekko is right on the money. Check and replace fluids. Check everything to make sure it's in good running shape then look at making changes.
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
tj98
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Check out your local Jeep club as well. sija.org
14 JK Unlimited - Wife's
tj98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
Sac2013

Quote:
If that hurt your feelings you need tougher skin. Haha the hypocrisy of you saying its not important to you right after you put it above maintenance as a priority is shocking.
I was just stating learn the Jeep wave. It is something I was told and learn to appreciate. What's funny is this person came here looking for help & all you can do is pick apart my reply trying to help them while you offer zero help. This is why people hate forums.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.