New here. 4 cyl question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New here. 4 cyl question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 08-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
BIGKID

New here. 4 cyl question

Hello everyone. New to the Jeep thing. Wanted to know what you guys are doing to the 4 bangers to give it more power? Doesn't seem like I can do a hole lot.

Thanks

BIGKID is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
77 renegade
2004 TJ Wrangler 

swap in 5.3 or regear to 4.88
Unread 08-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
242TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Regear to 4.56 or 4.88. Engine swaps are a lot of work. Make sure you do the tire/rpm calculations so you can still go on the highway.

Gear Ratio Calculator
242TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
phattboy001
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I put a cheap intake on from e-bay (~$35) and better ignition coil, it hasn't really done much for it tough. Contemplating the electric fan upgrade.
phattboy001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
530ktm
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I sold mine and bought the 6 cyl.
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
242TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Unfortunately for the OP this is probably the best piece of advice.
242TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
everydayTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've had my little 4banger as my daily driver for about 5 years now, it's got over 190k on the Odometer, and still running strong. After trying a variety of bolt-on bits, the only things that have made a noticeable difference to me were:

A) when I started using the K&N air filter (not the cold-air intake, just the slip-in)

B) replaced both my cat and muffler (nothing performance oriented, but depending on how old the vehicle is, there's a good chance the cat and/or muffler might be partially clogged and not operating at optimum efficiency)

C) started using seafoam motor treatment once a year or so (I have over 190k on mine, so I decided it's a small price to pay if this will help keep it running longer)

D) cleaning out my throttle body every year or so (also might as well clean the air ducting)

E) replacing spark plugs, wires, and distributor cap/rotor (every 12-15k)

Re-gearing is great if you can find some gears relatively cheap and have the know-how, but other than that, unless you want to drop hundreds of dollars on engine mods, just keep up with maintenance, and start saving money for a bigger engine

[FONT="Century Gothic"]There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, ... and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people.
[B]-President Teddy Roosevelt (1919)[/B][/FONT]
everydayTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
x3

Both the 4 and 6 cylinders are long running designs. The only way you'll get more power is serious upgrades/swaps. Been numerous threads about testing common "power mods" that gave nothing. Throttle body spacers, cold air intakes, K&N filters, performance chips, removing the catalytic converter (illegal btw): all give little to no noticable increase.

I think i read a post in the engine section where the guy got 2 more horsepower after half of those mods.

EverydayTJ is right, general maintenance and upkeep will help if its been let go. I would argue the benefit of the K&N though. When i had the slip in filter I noticed a fine dust building up inside the intake duct. I swapped back to paper and the buildup isn't occuring again. That dirt buildup can shorten an engine's life.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
BIGKID

Thanks for all the advice. I will do the maintenance up keep.
BIGKID is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
JealousDad
1998 TJ Wrangler 

x2 on the tune up: new plugs, dist cap, rotor, and injector cleaner made a big difference.
The main thing, though is to get used to using the gears. The 4 cyl seems to bog easily, so keep the RPM's up. It really likes 3,000 to 4,000 rpm's!
JealousDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
TJandMe
1985 CJ7 

Seriously man. Save yourself a bunch of money and disappointment. If it is simply a Jeep TJ you want then enjoy what you have, but if you want a TJ with power, or even a noticeable amount of more tangible power than the 4cyl currently gets, then you should sell it and get a 4.0L.

No joke. I went through all of this (Full tune up, CAI, exhaust, 4.0L TB conversion, etc. etc. etc.). NONE of it does anything that you will notice in the 4cyl man except screw with your emissions. I finally just sold it and now, after driving a 345hp Hemi around for a while, am back in the hunt for TJ and so help me GOD it will not be, no matter what price, a GD 4cyl.

Good luck.
TJandMe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
97tjeff
2008 JK Wrangler 

my little 2.5 liter does pretty well on the trails and I get 20mpg on the highway.....
97tjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
TJandMe
1985 CJ7 

Come on man, be honest. You know when you are on the highway and there is even the smallest amount of wind or long hill (even at a tiny tiny grade) you curse that 4cyl. Off-road is fine because you use the big pedal more than the skinny one. But even then, the 4cyl sounds like it is going to die a horrible death if you are forging water for more that 20 seconds.
TJandMe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #14
silver97tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hi all

I too, alas have done this, but to no avail!..

Seriously, I tried intake, bored out TB etc etc. Just keep it stock and regular maintence. The 4.0 had more options but it is still a jeep. want more power, going to have to swap in a V8, ....................good luck...

BTW, decades of jeeps, 4 plus, all 4cyl, go figure!.....................
Support our Troops!! Thank You!!!
silver97tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #15
gensysmike
1998 ZJ 

My 2.5 blew up and I upgraded to 4.0. The power comparison is not even close. Like the guy was saying a above, I used to curse the wind. It is no sports car, but it has power to spare.
gensysmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4 cyl , 4-cyl , more power , performance , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.