New guy here, I need some misc bits. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New guy here, I need some misc bits.

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-07-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
lyonmt
2004 TJ Wrangler 

New guy here, I need some misc bits.

Hello all,

I just picked up a 2004 Jeep Wrangler (TJ). It has the 2.4 liter 4 banger and a 5 speed tranny. It's a little beat up, but I plan to fix it up. It doesn't need a lot of big things, but here's the initial list:

1. Shampoo the seats. They are nasty dirty cloth seats.
2. Shampoo the rugs. They are nasty dirty as well.
3. Replace the radio. The display is showing track 24 all of the time and the first digit duplicates the second digit in the clock/station display portion. Also, the radio cuts out once in a while.
4. Purchase/install a missing A/C register on the dash (above the radio)
5. Recondition the rims. They are aftermarket wagon wheel style with the fake bead locks. They are starting to get a nice covering of surface rust. I'll remove all of the fake bead lock bolts and rattle-can them back to their former glory.
6. Fix the A/C. It comes out barely cool. There seems to be a jumper wire run by the compressor. Hopefully, it'll just need a pressure switch or something.
7. Clean up the trim. I plan on buying new bumper-ends off of ebay for $7-8 each and cleaning the fender flares.
8. Find/fix the shimmy in the front end. No idea what this is, but it comes and goes at random. Not when I brake, not when I turn, not when i go straight, but sometimes it does at all three times, very strange.
9. Replace the air cleaner. The previous owner put a K&N style filter directly onto the throttle body.
10. Replace the exhaust. It looks like he put a test pipe in there to omit the cat and he put in a Flowmaster muffler. He took off the factory stainless exhaust and removed the cat for what? An extra 3-5 HP? I just don't understand people!
11. Clear/fix what's causing the SES codes (I think it's the omission of the cats).
12. Purchase/install the bumper ends.
13. Fix the dents.
14. Get it painted.
15. Purchase/install the dome lighting bulbs & lenses, yeah, the dome lights in the speaker bar up top, they're missing the lenses and bulbs.
16. Purchase/install the driver's door check strap. The original one is torn.
17. Give it a tune-up.
18. Give it an oil change.

I'm very excited about owning the Jeep. Once I get all of that fixed, I think it will serve me well.

lyonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like minor stuff.Was there a tech question in there
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #3
lyonmt
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboogieman View Post
Sounds like minor stuff.Was there a tech question in there

yes/no. It was mainly an intro, but if you know where I can get the bits I need, that would be nice. Also, if you had some trouble-shooting tips, that would be nice. Lastly, is any of this stuff common with these vehicles?
lyonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonmt View Post
yes/no. It was mainly an intro, but if you know where I can get the bits I need, that would be nice. Also, if you had some trouble-shooting tips, that would be nice. Lastly, is any of this stuff common with these vehicles?
Just kidding.I posted some links under your other post.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
hscrugby
1998 TJ Wrangler 

the shimmy shake is probably worn tie rod ends, or a loose track bar.
Something along those lines.
What you might want to do is to have a buddy get in the jeep, and turn the steering back and fourth while you look underneath and try to see if something is loose.
If it had any lift, sometimes people do it "cheaper" and redrill the hole for the track bar and this gets oblonged.
causing it to be loose no matter what you do.

As for the fender flares, only thing you can do to get them looking nice and black again for more than a week, is paint them. I recomend a can of Krylon Fusion (for plastics) for them. Mine still look great and they were painted about 2 years ago.

good luck.
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.