I just picked up a 2004 Jeep Wrangler (TJ). It has the 2.4 liter 4 banger and a 5 speed tranny. It's a little beat up, but I plan to fix it up. It doesn't need a lot of big things, but here's the initial list:
1. Shampoo the seats. They are nasty dirty cloth seats.
2. Shampoo the rugs. They are nasty dirty as well.
3. Replace the radio. The display is showing track 24 all of the time and the first digit duplicates the second digit in the clock/station display portion. Also, the radio cuts out once in a while.
4. Purchase/install a missing A/C register on the dash (above the radio)
5. Recondition the rims. They are aftermarket wagon wheel style with the fake bead locks. They are starting to get a nice covering of surface rust. I'll remove all of the fake bead lock bolts and rattle-can them back to their former glory.
6. Fix the A/C. It comes out barely cool. There seems to be a jumper wire run by the compressor. Hopefully, it'll just need a pressure switch or something.
7. Clean up the trim. I plan on buying new bumper-ends off of ebay for $7-8 each and cleaning the fender flares.
8. Find/fix the shimmy in the front end.
No idea what this is, but it comes and goes at random. Not when I brake, not when I turn, not when i go straight, but sometimes it does at all three times, very strange.
9. Replace the air cleaner. The previous owner put a K&N style filter directly onto the throttle body.
10. Replace the exhaust. It looks like he put a test pipe in there to omit the cat and he put in a Flowmaster muffler.
He took off the factory stainless exhaust and removed the cat for what? An extra 3-5 HP? I just don't understand people!
11. Clear/fix what's causing the SES codes (I think it's the omission of the cats).
12. Purchase/install the bumper ends.
13. Fix the dents.
14. Get it painted.
15. Purchase/install the dome lighting bulbs & lenses, yeah, the dome lights in the speaker bar up top, they're missing the lenses and bulbs.
16. Purchase/install the driver's door check strap. The original one is torn.
17. Give it a tune-up.
18. Give it an oil change.
I'm very excited about owning the Jeep. Once I get all of that fixed, I think it will serve me well.