New guy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New guy

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 08-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
FloorPro
FloorPro
2001 TJ Wrangler 

New guy

Hello folks first post as a new member, although I have been lurking for some time.
I am looking forward to being on jeep forum and learning from others here.

Unread 08-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
FloorPro
FloorPro
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Let's see
I bought this 60th anniversary edition from my mother-in-law a couple months ago. It is all stock and in need of some updates.
So far I have replaced the factory soft top with a new Bestop RAT with tinted windows, had the rear main and valve cover gaskets replaced, new battery, and put a couple thousand miles on it.

Will eventually go with 35"-37" tires
Any suggestions on what you would all do to improve on an otherwise stock TJ?
Unread 08-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

go out and have some fun. see what a stock rig can do and upgrade accordingly. research, make a build plan, research, make a new build plan, then do some more research

throw the quadratec catalog in the garbage

while 35"-37" tires sound fun, you will need to do a lot of modifications to get them to be safe. lifting and getting them to fit is the easy part

read through some builds and see what you would like to do
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
FloorPro
FloorPro
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply Ironhead.
That is my plan already did the buggy thing that sat in my garage more than it was wheeled.

I took the jeep up the back way to crown king a few weeks ago and that was a fun moderate trail.
I am impressed by what a stock jeep can do for sure!
Coming from a rig on fordeez and tons I know I don't want to go down that route again! My goal is to have something that is reliable, capable and safe for street use.
I have read quite a few builds on here and pirate and I think I have a pretty solid idea what I want to do, but as you know plans change and evolve over time.

Anyhow current plans are to leave it stockish and enjoy!
So far I have put on a new soft top that I'm not pleased with but is functional and looks good. Sigh
I picked up a two chamber flow master from pick-n-pull for $20 and modified it to fit the jeep so now it sounds a little on the ricey side but oh well it was cheap and a fun project to do. I had to make the flow an from offset in/out to center in/ offset out.

I'll try to add pics but not sure if I can yet without 25 posts.
Unread 08-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
FloorPro
FloorPro
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Not computer savvy at all and most of my posts will be from my iPhone or ipad. Is it possible to upload pics from these devices straight to JF? Without photo bucket or the like?
Unread 08-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
HobbsKs
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have had good luck with uploading pics off my phone. When you figure it out post a pic up of your jeep
image-2724209505.jpg

HobbsKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 07:57 AM   #7
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, but photobucket is usually easier

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
FloorPro
FloorPro
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It said they are larger than the 570 blahblah they allow. I guess I need to figure out how to resize them.
I'd love to to a build thread as I have enjoyed reading others. Just don't want it to be a PITA!
Unread 08-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
FloorPro
FloorPro
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So far the plans are:

•Undercover fabworks TT and engine skid 3/8" aluminum and engine skid
•Undercover fab LOPRO trans mount
•Swag drop down tailgate
•Rokmen mercenary front bumper
•Smittybuilt xrc 10hd
•Poison spider high line aluminum fenders and inners and rear aluminum full corners
•jantz4x4.com Jana 44 r&p
•jeepsrus pn CC2101 3 core aluminum radiator $275
http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Joh...ashers_c80.htm
•CRAWL fire extinguisher mount
•8 gallon action packer and swag off-road Baja basket mount
•swag body mounts
•Raptor liner
•100"-102" wheel base w/o comp cut
• 3 link front 4 link rear
• not sure on lift height but want to keep it lowish!

I have a HP dana30 in the shed I pulled from the pick a part and ZJ tie rod. I am planning on max of 37" tire. There was a Waggy 44 front there so not sure if that would be a better plan in the long run to build beings the Dana 30 tops out at 4.88 gears. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by FloorPro; 08-21-2014 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
FloorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 10:48 PM   #10
HobbsKs
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wheel it first and go from there. Do your research before you buy and have fun man. It's an addiction but a lot of fun
Unread 08-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #11
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPro View Post
So far the plans are:

•Undercover fabworks TT and engine skid 3/8" aluminum and engine skid
•Undercover fab LOPRO trans mount
•Swag drop down tailgate
•Rokmen mercenary front bumper
•Smittybuilt xrc 10hd
•Poison spider high line aluminum fenders and inners and rear aluminum full corners
•jantz4x4.com Jana 44 r&p
•jeepsrus pn CC2101 3 core aluminum radiator $275
•http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Joh...ashers_c80.htm
•CRAWL fire extinguisher mount
•8 gallon action packer and swag off-road Baja basket mount
•swag body mounts
•Raptor liner
•100"-102" wheel base w/o comp cut
• 3 link front 4 link rear
• not sure on lift height but want to keep it lowish!

I have a HP dana30 in the shed I pulled from the pick a part and ZJ tie rod. I am planning on max of 37" tire. There was a Waggy 44 front there so not sure if that would be a better plan in the long run to build beings the Dana 30 tops out at 4.88 gears. Any thoughts on this?
That's not a bad setup. Is it auto or manual.

Don't worry about the oem radiator. It's better than most aftermarket ones
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #12
FloorPro
FloorPro
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbsKs View Post
Wheel it first and go from there. Do your research before you buy and have fun man. It's an addiction but a lot of fun
Thanks Hobbs. It's hard not to hot rod everything I own! Lol
It will stay stock for a while first mod will probably be the TT from undercover fab and their lopro mount. I am hoping to be able to make these a stand alone mod but might have to have the rear driveshaft lengthened?
I am aiming to keep this very streetable and reliable as a DD but still do some functional mods to it as money permits. I really don't want the jeep to end up as a garage queen stuck in build hell. So with that said I am trying to figure out some sane mods to do over a weekend or so. This is a third vehicle but I drive it at least four days a week and have my guys roll out the work truck.
Unread 08-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
HobbsKs
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am about ready to do a TT myself and to the best of my knowledge you will need to do a slip yoke eliminator and cv driveshaft and have adjustable upper control arms to keep the driveline right. You might look at the Savvy modular under armor. If is aluminum and you can buy it as the budget allows.
Unread 08-22-2014, 11:09 PM   #14
FloorPro
FloorPro
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I emailed back and forth with Mathew from UCF and asked him those questions. My jeep is currently stock w no lift so I hoping to be able to just need to modify the current shaft w no issues. I would like advise from those that have done the TT as I don't want to have to redo suspension more than once.
So will the UCF skid and lopro mount have the driveshaft in approx the same location without having to do the rear upper control arms too?
Unread 08-22-2014, 11:19 PM   #15
FloorPro
FloorPro
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
That's not a bad setup. Is it auto or manual.

Don't worry about the oem radiator. It's better than most aftermarket ones
Ironhead it is a manual.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.