new gasket when changing gear oil - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > new gasket when changing gear oil

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-28-2001, 03:23 PM   #1
mytjnamedrex

new gasket when changing gear oil

im going to change out the oil in both diffs tommorrow and am wonderin if i am going to need a new gasket or will silicon work? Which is better/easier?

Unread 09-28-2001, 04:02 PM   #2
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You won't need a gasket. Silicon sealant works just fine on it's own. Besides, if you use a gasket, that's just more crap you have to scrape off the next time. Cheers!
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2001, 02:10 PM   #3
James Dally

You have probably done the job already but if you buy a hand pump (like a bicycle pump but fatter), you can actually suck the oil out of both diffs through the filler hole. Then you done need to even take the plate off the diff.
James Dally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2001, 02:57 PM   #4
mytjnamedrex

thanx for the advice but i already did it and simply used some gasket maker from autozone. If i had used your idea i wouldnt have found the shavings and chunk of metal that was in the rear diff. But if i ever need to just drain it i might do it your way cause i made a pretty big mess in the garage and the entire garage smells like the burnt up gear oil that came out.
Unread 09-30-2001, 04:31 PM   #5
SunDawg

Quote:
the entire garage smells like the burnt up gear oil that came out
...and that's a bad thing ???
-[i]BFG KO 33x10.5r15 on AR-767 15x8[/i]
-[i]Tom Wood's Conversion Kit[/i]
SunDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2001, 04:45 PM   #6
mytjnamedrex

my parents know nothing about cars and dont trust me with anything so when the garage smells like something was an fire they tend to think the worst. Plus it smells really really bad.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.