New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum? - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum?

Spiderwebshade @ JeepHut.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 05-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #121
SeanCucf
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Praying for pre '03 engine/tc/tt combo skids. I've been waiting a long time since medic went out and others don't cater to pre '03 guys. (insert prayer smiley here)

SeanCucf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #122
Shakey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
We have a few things. None will be conventional, or using commonly accepted materials.
Can you provide an update on if you will make a transfer case skid plate out of aluminum or some other non-commonly accepted material? I was going to have one made, but I'm guessing that buying one from you will be cheaper in the long run.
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #123
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How far is the top of the tank from the bottom of the tub crossmember?
It's just about one inch, maybe slightly less. The bar crosses right over the middle of the clips that hold the hard plastic lines on the driver's side on my 04. And there is absolutely no more room between those plastic lines and the A/R bar. The are rubbing as is, I had to sleeve those lines.
Unread 05-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #124
john NC
1979 CJ5 

ok, i'm sold that thing looks awesome
john NC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #125
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a sweet skid! I wish I hadn't just bought/ modified/ installed my Skid Row piece...

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #126
Mini-Me26
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Here's a pic of the surprisingly small box it comes in...
I don't know how much size factors into it, but I had a cell phone cost $134.79 in customs and brokerage fees.

I'll stop polluting this thread through. My next post will be before and after shots.
Mini-Me26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #127
Dukes69

Comparisons:

Stock Skid Weight (w/ 1/8" welded to the bottom):

Competitors 3/16 steel skid:

Savvy 3/16 aluminum skid:

My Jeep lost 7.6 pounds going from the stock skid to the Savvy skid.
AIM: Dukes69

Ya Savvy?
Dukes69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #128
Flipside
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
I've been waiting a long time since medic went out ...
Yes, I too am disappointed that the Medic is no longer... Perhaps the Savvy group will come up with a replacement for the shovel on my 06 LJ? Even better would be a design that doesn't require a BL to work its magic!

mrblaine: what say you on the issue of galvanic corrosion with your Aluminum bling?
Unread 05-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #129
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipside View Post
Yes, I too am disappointed that the Medic is no longer... Perhaps the Savvy group will come up with a replacement for the shovel on my 06 LJ? Even better would be a design that doesn't require a BL to work its magic!

mrblaine: what say you on the issue of galvanic corrosion with your Aluminum bling?
Galvanic Corrosion occurs in salt water when electrical current is present in the water (never moor next to a Bayliner). So does your Jeep spend a lot of time submerged? I suspect your more concerned about regular old corrosion.

And after talking to Provologear I believe that those in corrosion rich areas will also receive a bottle of Alodine to treat the aluminum with.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #130
chefdab
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have two questions about this skid.
1.) It was stated that it mounted to the rear cross member to keep it farther away from the track bar. Is that still the case for an Unlimited or does it mount in the stock location which leaves open space between the gas tank and rear cross member?
2.) Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there any risk of electrolysis using disimilar metals for the mounting than the skid itself?
Quote:
... at what point has "NEED" ever come into play when it comes to Jeep upgrades
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmannm View Post
I'm a idiot so be genital.
chefdab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #131
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Someone start making new gas tanks that hold a couple gallons less than the stock tank, raise it up 2 inches and give it a sick departure angle. The only thing that I have seen close is tanks made for stretched Wranglers.
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #132
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdab View Post
It was stated that it mounted to the rear cross member to keep it farther away from the track bar. Is that still the case for an Unlimited or does it mount in the stock location which leaves open space between the gas tank and rear cross member?
I changed how I worded that point so it is clearer, it isn't mounted to the rear crossmember at all. It's mounted to the same attach points as the OE skidplate is but the way the skidplate is configured, it moves the gas tank and plate back until it is next to the rear cross-member... as far rearwards as it is possible to go.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #133
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

We assembled the Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid tonight after work. It took my son and I about 20 minutes. Went together like butter, everything fit just fine. Can't wait to get it installed. Ours weighed 32 lbs., so light, a 12 year-old can hold it, no problem.
untitled-4-web.jpg   untitled-2-web.jpg   untitled-6-web.jpg  
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #134
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think your son would have any trouble holding my old heavy steel skidplate either Rob, he looks pretty darned solid. Hey, when are ya gonna buy him some shoes so he doesn't have to run around outside in his socks!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #135
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I don't think your son would have any trouble holding my old heavy steel skidplate either Rob, he looks pretty darned solid. Hey, when are ya gonna buy him some shoes so he doesn't have to run around outside in his socks!
That's how I afford Jeep mods... shoes are expensive!

They tell us he's going to be 6' 5", or more!!! I'm going to have to start to lift weights again, gotta keep one step ahead. He has a female cousin, on his Mom's side, that is about 6'4"; she plays basketball and volleyball in college right now. He has another cousin that's 19, that's 6'6" but rather thin; ha!

Hey Jerry, I'm waiting to run the tank dry before we do the install. It's a tip mrblaine gave us.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.