New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum? - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum?

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-10-2009, 10:31 PM   #106
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me26 View Post
A quick question for people who have ordered, who's doing the shipping? I'd buy one right now, but I don't want to take it up the derrière by customs and brokerage fees from UPS.
I'm pretty sure it's UPS and I ship a lot of stuff to Canada and I'm well aware of the penalties they ding you with.

Do you have a better suggestion?

Unread 05-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #107
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I'm pretty sure it's UPS and I ship a lot of stuff to Canada and I'm well aware of the penalties they ding you with.

Get another member to send it as a "gift"

Thanks for the write up Jerry. When I got my D44 from Provologear a couple weeks ago he was hinting at this to me. Told him I'd be in touch. Now I want one and he's out of town. Oh well, I'll get one when he gets back.

Strangely.....I had been procrastinating on a fuel tank skid......now I know why, I think.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #108
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy1977 View Post
Get another member to send it as a "gift"

Thanks for the write up Jerry. When I got my D44 from Provologear a couple weeks ago he was hinting at this to me. Told him I'd be in touch. Now I want one and he's out of town. Oh well, I'll get one when he gets back.

Strangely.....I had been procrastinating on a fuel tank skid......now I know why, I think.
Even as a gift to someone in Canada, if you declare a value for insurance purposes, they still take a serious hit on brokerage and duty fees.
Unread 05-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #109
Mini-Me26
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

If they're close enough to the boarder they can rent a storage bin in a UPS on the US side, but I don't have one of those and my usual help won't risk taking it across the boarder.

If my past large/expensive orders from the states are like this, they should charge well over $100 in fees to be collected upon delivery. Guess I should call them in the morning to see if I can get an approximate number so it isn't a shocking bill when it gets here.

Un/fortunately I'll have to pay it as rust has almost cut my stock skid in half.
Mini-Me26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #110
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me26 View Post
If they're close enough to the boarder they can rent a storage bin in a UPS on the US side, but I don't have one of those and my usual help won't risk taking it across the boarder.

If my past large/expensive orders from the states are like this, they should charge well over $100 in fees to be collected upon delivery. Guess I should call them in the morning to see if I can get an approximate number so it isn't a shocking bill when it gets here.

Un/fortunately I'll have to pay it as rust has almost cut my stock skid in half.
Well, the only saving grace in that mess is the ridiculously small box this thing ships in. You can give them a box size of 18 x 36 x 5 @ 33 lbs including the box to get your quote.
Unread 05-11-2009, 06:16 AM   #111
mr.angry
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've paid over $50 CAN for a CD to be shipped from Wyoming through UPS. They need to be shot with a ball of their own **** as far as i'm concerned.

On topic though, gentlemen, thumbs up on the skidplate.

If you need any gear tested for corrosion resistance, send it up, i'm surrounded by ocean and it seems like DOT has found a free stash of road salt these days....
mr.angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 06:20 AM   #112
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromme View Post
I do have one question. How would using this skid fare with a rear Currie Anti-rock? Mrblaine was kind enough to answer a PM of mine when I met with difficulty installing the rear A/R with a Kilby skid. It's tight under there. What should I expect there if I was to use your sweet new skid?
Are you ignoring me, or biting your tongue because I asked a dumb question?
Unread 05-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #113
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromme View Post
Are you ignoring me, or biting your tongue because I asked a dumb question?
Neither, trying to figure out how to fix your problem. The obvious answer is to run the skid in the lower position, but that defeats the purpose of a raised skid. So then I was trying to recall if the bar went over the tank and by how far or was there enough room slightly behind it?

Having looked at all 3 different versions of the TJ and Unlimited gas tanks in the last week, I'm a bit fuzzy at all their dimensional nuance and they are most assuredly not the same in that area.
Unread 05-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #114
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, the only saving grace in that mess is the ridiculously small box this thing ships in. You can give them a box size of 18 x 36 x 5 @ 33 lbs including the box to get your quote.
Here's a pic of the surprisingly small box it comes in...
cimg2934.jpg  

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #115
Kiwi
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Neither, trying to figure out how to fix your problem. The obvious answer is to run the skid in the lower position, but that defeats the purpose of a raised skid. So then I was trying to recall if the bar went over the tank and by how far or was there enough room slightly behind it?

Having looked at all 3 different versions of the TJ and Unlimited gas tanks in the last week, I'm a bit fuzzy at all their dimensional nuance and they are most assuredly not the same in that area.
My bar goes above the tank but right at the back about where the tank starts to curve down. I have an earlier model though so don't have all that mess of lines that sit on the later model tanks.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #116
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
My bar goes above the tank but right at the back about where the tank starts to curve down. I have an earlier model though so don't have all that mess of lines that sit on the later model tanks.
How far is the top of the tank from the bottom of the tub crossmember?
Unread 05-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #117
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If his tank hadn't been nearly full, it would have been a half banana job.
You'd think Jerry would have known better...

Sorry, Jerry, just had too. When I installed my Kilby, I ran it down to fumes. Now, to be fair, Jerry had the kind of skid that is really just an add-on shield that did not require the tank to be dropped when it was installed.

There's no "half banana" icon???
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #118
Kiwi
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How far is the top of the tank from the bottom of the tub crossmember?
I'd have to measure that , but until I can do that, I'd have to say more than an inch and less than three
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #119
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
You'd think Jerry would have known better...
Yes I did but I had a mental disconnect there when leaving the house & noticed the tank was empty. As soon as I got through filling the tank I immediately did a Homer Simpson "DOH!" and a slap to my forehead, I felt pretty darned stupid. Oh well, that wasn't the first and it certainly won't be the last time I have a mind-fart.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #120
Darrell C
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice looking product, Blaine. As usual, well thought out and functional. I would have considered myself in the market for a replacement skid to my old solid but heavy Kilby, but recent changes make such a skid unnecessary.

Al Corners? Maybe we could work something out there. When I stripped out the back of my rig the other day, feels like I dropped about 150lbs of extra weight by losing the gas skid, rear corners, and the rear quarter armor. It protected my tub from the rocks, I'd forgotten how much that stuff weighed.

Good luck to you and Gerald on the new business venture. I hope things work out!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.