New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #91
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here’s the old rusty OE skidplate… no more rust worries there now!

And the old heavy steel Tomken skidplate… that thing was much heavier than I remembered…

Check out the lack of clearance between my Rubicon Express track bar and the old Tomken skid plate on the following two pics. There was evidence of a lot of rubbing between them from the lack of clearance.

Check out the new added clearance between the track bar and the new skid plate. Savvy Off Road gained this by moving the gas tank and skid plate as far to the rear as possible.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #92
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The hands of mrblaine tightening the stainless steel straps that secure the plastic gas tank to the new skid plate.

The above is one reason for the big gain in ground clearance that other aftermarket skid plates don’t offer. Notice how the gas tank is up against the tub floor with just enough clearance for the hoses and connections. It would be literally impossible to raise the tank any higher so with Savvy’s skid plate, you’re gaining the most possible ground clearance which so far as I can tell, is far more than the others give.

There were so many cool little touches I noticed that Savvy included in the design… these are a few I can remember but there are more that Blaine mentioned I can't recall right now.

Flanged gripper nuts that help spread the load while helping to keep them tight.

Grade 5 carriage bolts that won’t spin if you should ever need to replace a nut from trail damage means you won’t have to drop the skid plate to tighten or replace them.

Wider mounting surfaces to spread the load and better absorb those impacts from hitting big rocks on the trail.

Mounted as far rearward as possible to provide maximum clearance away from the track bar.

Inside corner strengthening brackets to absorb energy from impacts and provide extra beef where it’s needed.

A space/slot for clearance around a tow hitch receiver so you won't have to remove the hitch or bumper to install the skidplate.

All the details can be found on their website at http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product...=1&productId=1 like what kind of aluminum (6061 T6) used, etc. which is over my head since I’m not really up on metals like mrblaine and Gerald are from Savvy.

How difficult to install? I’d say it’s a two-banana job with help from a friend being recommended. There’s no cutting or drilling needed, it’s a bolt-on job… you just have to drop the gas tank which is really no big deal. All in all, I’m digging it. The 39 lb. weight savings, no more rust, and the 1.5” of added ground clearance are great since I’m always dragging my TJ over the rocks. I think we’re going to be seeing a lot more cool aluminum products from Savvy and I’m looking forward to seeing whatever comes next!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #93
Pvt_Joker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I want one so bad

I hate living in the rust belt with no money

Hell if i got one of those i would make dedicated runs to tuttle to try it out
Pvt_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #94
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
How difficult to install? I’d say it’s a two-banana job with help from a friend being recommended.
Maybe having Blaine help with the install of the product might invalidate your "Banana" rating scale just slightly...

I wish I wasn't 7 hours away, or I'd ask Blaine to help me install mine too when it shows up in a couple of weeks...

Wade
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #95
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
Maybe having Blaine help with the install of the product might invalidate your "Banana" rating scale just slightly...

I wish I wasn't 7 hours away, or I'd ask Blaine to help me install mine too when it shows up in a couple of weeks...

Wade
If his tank hadn't been nearly full, it would have been a half banana job.
Unread 05-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #96
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
If his tank hadn't been nearly full, it would have been a half banana job.
A "half banana" job for MrBlaine is about 5 Banana's for the normal human and about 10 on my scale... I f'ed up a Vanco Caliper today, so I don't think I should be trusted around tools or my Jeep any more....
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #97
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I do have one question. How would using this skid fare with a rear Currie Anti-rock? Mrblaine was kind enough to answer a PM of mine when I met with difficulty installing the rear A/R with a Kilby skid. It's tight under there. What should I expect there if I was to use your sweet new skid?
Unread 05-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #98
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Jerry,

Nice before and after pix. Thanks for the nice write up!

Gerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Got it installed today, here are a few comments and pics...

The total weight savings for my TJ was 39 pounds! The new aluminum skid weighs 32 lbs. my old OE skidplate and Tompken aftermarket skidplate together weighed in at approximately 71 lbs. total.

Additional ground clearance gained under the new Savvy Off Road skidplate is approximately 1.5".

Trackbar clearance, at least an extra inch which is cool because my RE trackbar was rubbing against the old gas tank skidplate.

Here are a few pics...

Before:

After:

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Unlimited Black Hole - The Ultimate LJ

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #99
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Of course you guys open up for business after I've ordered most my parts for my build. Buttheads. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to ship my brand new Swayloc back to Redrock, or try to sell it for your version which I'm sure will be around sooner or later.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #100
brunosplace
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I may have finally found something to get me past my disdain of body lift's!!! Seeing the clearance to the rear track bar along with the increase in ground clearance is impressive!!
Big tires, done right, are FREAKING EXPENSIVE. Deal with it, or don't go there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnjeep View Post
I live in the land where they salt cure roadkill.
97 Jeep TJ Sport, 4.0L, Auto, 3" BDS Lift (SOLD)
98 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L, Auto, Stock Totaled, parted out and scrapped
96 Jeep XJ Sport, parted out and scrapped

Tummy Tuck without a body lift. Finished!!

Superior Axle & Gear TJ/XJ Dana 44 Discovery Shafts (DC45 kit) for sale

Last edited by brunosplace; 05-10-2009 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: spelling
brunosplace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #101
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13 View Post
Of course you guys open up for business after I've ordered most my parts for my build. Buttheads. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to ship my brand new Swayloc back to Redrock, or try to sell it for your version which I'm sure will be around sooner or later.
Personally, I'd keep the SwayLOC.

The other parts, that's negotiable.
Unread 05-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #102
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunosplace View Post
I may have finally found something to get me past my disdain of body lift's!!! Seeing the clearance to the rear track bar along with the increase in ground clearance is imprssive!!
It's always enjoyable when the light bulb starts to be a bit less dim, eh?

I do understand folk's disdain for body lifts, but when every aspect of your rig's performance counts to make your days on the trail easier, the pros really do outweigh the cons by a large margin.
Unread 05-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #103
sailsurf7713
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Count me as a so far very happy customer. Can't wait to have the product installed and out on the trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
...I say don't lift but CUT. :)
My Rusty Revival
sailsurf7713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #104
brunosplace
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
It's always enjoyable when the light bulb starts to be a bit less dim, eh?

I do understand folk's disdain for body lifts, but when every aspect of your rig's performance counts to make your days on the trail easier, the pros really do outweigh the cons by a large margin.
I do understand why folk's do them, I just never liked them, and didn't like the added leverage against the body mounts since my Jeep is also used for snowplowing in the winter, and didn't want to worry about them when an employee was using the Jeep.

I know I wouldn't hit anything hard enough to cause damage, but I can't always guarantee what may happen when one of the guys are driving for me. One of them managed to bend the 3/8 thick 3x3 angle iron on one of the plow frames this winter. Nobody remembers hitting anything of course, even though that had to have brought the truck to a stop!! In another instance they sheared a 3/4" grade 8 pivot bolt and claimed to not have felt anything!!
Big tires, done right, are FREAKING EXPENSIVE. Deal with it, or don't go there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnjeep View Post
I live in the land where they salt cure roadkill.
97 Jeep TJ Sport, 4.0L, Auto, 3" BDS Lift (SOLD)
98 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L, Auto, Stock Totaled, parted out and scrapped
96 Jeep XJ Sport, parted out and scrapped

Tummy Tuck without a body lift. Finished!!

Superior Axle & Gear TJ/XJ Dana 44 Discovery Shafts (DC45 kit) for sale

Last edited by brunosplace; 05-10-2009 at 10:47 PM..
brunosplace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #105
Mini-Me26
2004 TJ Wrangler 

A quick question for people who have ordered, who's doing the shipping? I'd buy one right now, but I don't want to take it up the derrière by customs and brokerage fees from UPS.
Mini-Me26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.