New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum? - Page 60 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum?

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #886
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had all fours on the ground when I did the install as well. I had to massage the straps to get the bolts in, but they did work. After tightening them I even switched to the shorter ones.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #887
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I made the supplied tightening screws work, but it took some effort. Now, many, many months (2yrs?) later, I realize that locktite would also be well advised; mine have loosened up and it's near imossible to tighten them without dropping it again. Did I miss something about locktite during the install. Otherwise, all's fantastic. I'd do it gain in a heartbeat.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #888
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
I made the supplied tightening screws work, but it took some effort. Now, many, many months (2yrs?) later, I realize that locktite would also be well advised; mine have loosened up and it's near imossible to tighten them without dropping it again. Did I miss something about locktite during the install. Otherwise, all's fantastic. I'd do it gain in a heartbeat.
Are you asking about the tank straps?...
Unread 07-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #889
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead

Are you asking about the tank straps?...
No, was just adding $.02. It was a statement about my recent experience with the tank straps loosening up after some time. In my inattentiveness they've loosened up and I see dropping the whole shebang as required to retighten them. Wish I'd used locktite is all I was thinking.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #890
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
No, was just adding $.02. It was a statement about my recent experience with the tank straps loosening up after some time. In my inattentiveness they've loosened up and I see dropping the whole shebang as required to retighten them. Wish I'd used locktite is all I was thinking.
I installed one of the first Savvy gas tank skids offered for sale, used no lock tight and its still holding tight today...
Unread 07-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #891
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerlyon View Post
Completed the install of my Savvy gas tank skid today. Amazing product. Actually, my 17 year old son did most of it himself while I was at work. That says something about the quality of the directions and product ease. A couple of items we did differently than the instructions:

1. Supporting the vehicle with jack stands under the axle pushes the axle up too far making it difficult to unbolt the old skid. The track bar and differential were in the way of wrenching. Supporting the vehicle by the frame so the suspension dropped down made it much easier.
Forgot my number didja? I drop tanks all the time with wheels on the ground, axle on jackstands or just about any configuration you can think of.

Two tricks, one is stack a couple of extensions together and go straight up from under the tank, or reach in from the driver's side with a ratchet wrench. Both work and make it very easy.

Quote:
2. The Allen head cap screws that threads into the cross dowels were just a tad short (I was using the longer ones). I inserted two screwdrivers, one on each strap behind the dowels and squoze them together until I could start threading the cap screw into the dowell. 1/4" longer bolt would have been helpful.

Thanks for a great product!!! Off to the Rubicon trail next week to put it to the test!
What configuration were the holes in the ends of the tank straps? There are 3 options. Both end holes, both upper holes, 1 of each. Those 3 options have covered every tank height I've run across and I've installed every year there is which is why there are two lengths of allen cap screws.
Unread 07-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #892
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

He made have had one of the very early models. I guessing?

Bosun:

If you need any more hardware of info let me know. You may have to drill another hole in the SS straps if you can't get the tight enough. But, I'd be will to bet the tank will hardly move even without the straps.

Thanks!

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Unlimited Black Hole - The Ultimate LJ

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #893
explorerlyon

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

What configuration were the holes in the ends of the tank straps? There are 3 options. Both end holes, both upper holes, 1 of each. Those 3 options have covered every tank height I've run across and I've installed every year there is which is why there are two lengths of allen cap screws.
Hi Blaine,

Sorry, I did not know there were two holes on the end of the straps. My son had it already built and the tank in the skid when I helped him bolt the straps together. He told me he attached the straps using the upper holes, therefore making the straps shorter. It was not a big deal to pull the straps tight before starting the allen cap screws. The bolts provided were long enough.

For anyone else, on an 05 LJ, use the upper hole on one strap and the lower hole on the other strap. That will make the length perfect!
Unread 07-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #894
steve578

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I am prepping the Jeep for the Savvy GTS. The skid was shipped yesterday and should be here on Monday.

My swap is a little different than most. I am/was running a Genright LJ Safari 31 gallon gas tank. The install requires removing a crossmember that a non-LJ doesn't have. So in order to go back to the stock tank, the crossmember has to be welded back in. I can't weld so I am dropping it off tomorrow to get it welded back in.

I love the Genright tank, but don't need the extra capacity anymore. I am tired off dragging my big *** everywhere I go! A little Savvy will help keep my tail off the rocks.

Here is the Genright when I first installed it.

I drag this on most ledges.

Loaded up with tank removed.

Look at all this clearance!

The SAVVY GTS is going in next week!

My Build Thread.
steve578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #895
MCDavis
2004 LJ Wrangler 

If you weren't so far away, I'd try to get that tank from you.
MCDavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #896
steve578

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDavis View Post
If you weren't so far away, I'd try to get that tank from you.
I had it sold on another forum in less than five minutes without posting it for sale!

Best part is he is semi-local.

My Build Thread.
steve578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #897
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
FWIW, I used the 1 of each hole...long one on the back side and short one on the front side, with the longer bolt. That was before I dumped the hardware package out and found the shorter bolts. . I tightened em all the way down as far as the screws would go, and the tank seemed very secure.

I did notice the emissions line clips on the back of the tank ran into a crossmember on the underside of the tub, preventing me from squeezing the tank all the way back to the frame crossmember, so its forward maybe 3/8" of an inch. I zip tied one emission line down on the drivers side to keep it from rubbing into the tub.

Well though out design & installation. We spent most of the time screwing with the damn emissions and fuel lines, trying to remove & not break the damn clips. Huge PITA. Might be helpful if you guys could upload a youtube video of how to remove the various types of clips/fittings, with close ups. I found those damn clips to be the most challenging part, and the FSM wasn't great on the subject either. I couldn't have done it without my buddy.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #898
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
FWIW, I used the 1 of each hole...long one on the back side and short one on the front side, with the longer bolt. That was before I dumped the hardware package out and found the shorter bolts. . I tightened em all the way down as far as the screws would go, and the tank seemed very secure.
The reason for the two screw lengths and the 4 holes is I found that the tanks varied in height by that amount of adjustment from the shortest being the two top holes with the short screws all the way tight to the two bottom holes and the longer screw just barely being able to be started.

Quote:
I did notice the emissions line clips on the back of the tank ran into a crossmember on the underside of the tub, preventing me from squeezing the tank all the way back to the frame crossmember, so its forward maybe 3/8" of an inch. I zip tied one emission line down on the drivers side to keep it from rubbing into the tub.
There isn't 3/8" of adjustment in the rear slots. I suspect that had you been able to get the tank straps tighter, you would have been able to suck the tank down enough to stop the contact.

Quote:
Well though out design & installation. We spent most of the time screwing with the damn emissions and fuel lines, trying to remove & not break the damn clips. Huge PITA. Might be helpful if you guys could upload a youtube video of how to remove the various types of clips/fittings, with close ups. I found those damn clips to be the most challenging part, and the FSM wasn't great on the subject either. I couldn't have done it without my buddy.
YouTube video? Sounds like a great idea. Why don't you make one and send it to me and I'll approve it for release?

Or, you can use your thumbnail, push in slightly on the web of the clip while simultaneously pushing in on the connection and then pulling it loose when the pressure releases the clip. Once you do one correctly, you'll wonder why you ever tried it any other way because of how easy and obvious it is.
Unread 07-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #899
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There isn't 3/8" of adjustment in the rear slots. I suspect that had you been able to get the tank straps tighter, you would have been able to suck the tank down enough to stop the contact.
hmm....I thought the tank was sucked all the way down. It only caught up on one side...i'll have to look at it again.

Quote:
YouTube video? Sounds like a great idea. Why don't you make one and send it to me and I'll approve it for release?

Or, you can use your thumbnail, push in slightly on the web of the clip while simultaneously pushing in on the connection and then pulling it loose when the pressure releases the clip. Once you do one correctly, you'll wonder why you ever tried it any other way because of how easy and obvious it is.
I don't have a video camera, nor any skills with video editting...otherwise I would

I pushed like you descibed with no luck. We ended up using two flathead screw drivers, spreading the tangs apart from the backside and pulling the whole clip out. We broke only one, which surprised me because they were very brittle. It worked, the tank is on, gas gauge & capacity seems more like stock, no CEL's, so I'm happy
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #900
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

The Horseshoe clips are a PITA! I broke one before I learned how to remove them as well! I have the tank from the LJ here now. I think I'll go get the hard lines and make a short clip. Good idea!

Thanks!

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Unlimited Black Hole - The Ultimate LJ

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.