New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #76
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Nice looking skid.
Thanks.

Quote:
Alum tubing is almost useless to try and bend. Alum tears when it's stretched. You can get some bends in it, but forget trying to get a sharp/tight bend in it. You can work around this in various ways mainly by cutting angles and welding them together, or by using a large gradual radius in the corners like seen in the gas tank skid.

I'm sure mrblaine knows this I'm just educating the masses.
Working with AL is certainly an education. Fortunately I've been doing it a long time.

Quote:
I'm also curious as to why mrbaline would believe that swiss made 6061 T-6 would be any better than what he could get stateside?? Everyone at all the cool places use "Aircraft grade aluminum."
Actually I snicker when I see that term "aircraft grade" and wouldn't have even considered using the term until I discovered that the same company supplies Airbus. That means I can say it with a straight face now.

I don't believe it's any better than the stuff I could get from Alcoa though.

Quote:
Kidding aside 6061 is pretty damn consistent. The raw surface finish will vary from one supplier to another, but overall there is very little difference if none in overall quality from my experience.
Hey now, quit messin with our marketing hype.

Quote:
Delrin sucks IMO. Too brittle. UHMW is where it's at. Has strength properties of nylon but higher melting point so it's easy to work with.
They all have their uses. I would have exactly zero qualms over using delrin for body lift pucks and I wouldn't use UHMW in the same place due to it's inherent lubricity. I wouldn't use nylon because it absorbs moisture that changes it dimensionally.

Unread 05-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #77
van1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wouldnt aluminum make a bad skid plate? Aluminum is more soft and would seem to not slide off object as easy due to its softness?
van1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #78
rmb2485
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Am I the only one who's thinking an aluminum skid won't offer the same protection as a steel one? I'm no materials engineer (I am a mechanical engineer though ), but it sure seems like a rock would fold up an aluminum skid a lot easier than it would a steel one.

I don't even know what grade of steel most companies build their skids out of (A36 maybe?), but how does the aluminum you're using compare, strength wise? I've been looking at Rokmen's skid combo, but the light weight and no-rust aluminum sure would be nice if it's just as strong...
rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #79
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by van1 View Post
Wouldnt aluminum make a bad skid plate? Aluminum is more soft and would seem to not slide off object as easy due to its softness?
Here's a pic of the aluminum belly skid that has been on my rig for 6 years. I slide it over rocks every time I go out and as you can tell by the length of the scratches, it rarely if ever hangs up.

Not all aluminum is soft. There are hundreds of different alloys with different properties for different applications. The key is picking the right one for the job.
Unread 05-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #80
Pvt_Joker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

screw this im making mine out of pop cans

just kidding, if i had the money id order one
Pvt_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #81
dodgetk81
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Can I get some clarification on the spacers please? I have stock tank set up and no body lift. Will I need to procure anything else that is not included in the 269.00 price?
Thank you
Unread 05-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #82
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Gentlemen, very very nice. Sure - and I just painted the Rockmen skids last week. Crap.
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #83
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb2485 View Post
Am I the only one who's thinking an aluminum skid won't offer the same protection as a steel one? I'm no materials engineer (I am a mechanical engineer though ), but it sure seems like a rock would fold up an aluminum skid a lot easier than it would a steel one.

I don't even know what grade of steel most companies build their skids out of (A36 maybe?), but how does the aluminum you're using compare, strength wise? I've been looking at Rokmen's skid combo, but the light weight and no-rust aluminum sure would be nice if it's just as strong...
I can go into a long explanation as to what does what and why as far as materials go, but the easier way is to give you the short answer.

We have a guarantee. You tear it up, you have a choice. You can have another skid at no cost to you, or we'll send your money back. We have 100 percent confidence in our design and material selection and stand behind our products accordingly.
Unread 05-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #84
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgetk81 View Post
Can I get some clarification on the spacers please? I have stock tank set up and no body lift. Will I need to procure anything else that is not included in the 269.00 price?
Thank you
There are other gas tank skids on the market. If you read their fine print, you will discover that if it's a raised skid that's going to be installed on a rig without a body lift, you have to purchase spacers to lower the skid until you put on a body lift. Then you toss the spacers if raise the skid later when you install a body lift.

If they don't require spacers without a body lift, then they are not raising the skid as high as it can be raised.

Other than the tools and experience needed to operate them correctly, there is nothing else you need to purchase to run our skid with or without a body lift in the raised or lowered configurations and that includes new christmas tree clips to re-install your plastic wheel well liners.

We've found though doing the various installs that it's much easier to pop out the wheel well liners to get to all the emissions lines on the later models, and re-using the clips after you've yanked them is a poor solution. Besides, they're much easier to remove if you just clip the heads off.
Unread 05-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #85
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
Cool... I'm trying to see if I can sell my Kilby to someone in my club, or some one local to try to upgrade to the Savvy Off-road one...
Ah screw it, I just ordered mine anyhow, I can't get enough MrBlaine (and partner's) designed products on my Jeep... I'll figure out how to dump the Kilby once I get this one on... I need to get rid of some of the weight off my TJ...

Wade
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L

Last edited by SuperWade2; 05-10-2009 at 01:41 PM..
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 01:21 PM   #86
red rubi
So long pal!

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I guess it's true what they say about building a better mouse trap!
red rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #87
dodgetk81
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info Blaine. I will be ordering one before the first of June. I could use a free shipping deal on a Vanco Big Brake setup also
Unread 05-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #88
Mini-Me26
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ugh, now I have to make the choice. A Sirgcal in-seat sub box with all the fix'ns or this? Or both?

And a question for all, what happens when Aluminum corrodes? I understand aluminum oxide doesn't change colour as drastically as iron oxide does, but that's about it. I've never actually seen aluminum in a situation where it "rusts."
Mini-Me26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #89
rmb2485
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I can go into a long explanation as to what does what and why as far as materials go, but the easier way is to give you the short answer.

We have a guarantee. You tear it up, you have a choice. You can have another skid at no cost to you, or we'll send your money back. We have 100 percent confidence in our design and material selection and stand behind our products accordingly.
Well, with that guarantee I'm sure you've done your research and the products/materials work.

Problem is, the engineer in me wants the long explanation of what materials do what and why. I'm sure there are others like me, thinking that aluminum can't possibly hold up like steel in a battle between a 4,000lb Jeep and a big rock. My 6061 mountain bike frame holds up just fine, even with my fat *** taking it though some crazy terrain, but if I hit it with a BFH it would break.
rmb2485 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #90
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Got it installed today, here are a few comments and pics...

The total weight savings for my TJ was 39 pounds! The new aluminum skid weighs 32 lbs. my old OE skidplate and Tompken aftermarket skidplate together weighed in at approximately 71 lbs. total.

Additional ground clearance gained under the new Savvy Off Road skidplate is approximately 1.5".

Trackbar clearance, at least an extra inch which is cool because my RE trackbar was rubbing against the old gas tank skidplate.

Here are a few pics...

Before:

After:

Just before installation:

Tank in the old OE skidplate:

Tank in the new Savvy skidplate. It is made very precisely to be a very snug fit around the tank to give more clearance.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.