New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum? - Page 56 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > New gas tank skid plate... can you say aluminum?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #826
red rubi
So long pal!

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
I just noticed that there are welds on the skid. From doing some research about welding 6061 T6, I found out that welding on it can reduce its strength by up to 80% changing its grade (unless it has been aged or heat treated again).
That's what happens when you let LR stray into the Fab Shop Forums

red rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 12:23 AM   #827
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
If you look in the corners where the drains are, you can see that it's all the way down. Although, you should have put the tank straps on first before you dropped the tank in.
I saw that after I posted it and went outside to look at it again and can see it now

I thought I did the tanks straps in the right order, I bolted them in place, but not torqued down, then dropped the tank into place, is that the right order? Thanks

I'll post pics of the before and after of my clearance gains with my 1"BL and Skid in place, I was having clearance issues with my diff/stock gts and this skid should help tremendously Thanks again for the great customer service and skid
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:17 AM   #828
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
I saw that after I posted it and went outside to look at it again and can see it now

I thought I did the tanks straps in the right order, I bolted them in place, but not torqued down, then dropped the tank into place, is that the right order? Thanks
If you did it in that order, then it was correct. I must have missed them in the pics looking at how far the tank was seated. Make sure you get the straps pretty tight.

Quote:
I'll post pics of the before and after of my clearance gains with my 1"BL and Skid in place, I was having clearance issues with my diff/stock gts and this skid should help tremendously Thanks again for the great customer service and skid
You're welcome. And don't let the detractors bother you. If you can tear that skid up on the trail, we'll be more than pleased to send you another one if it fails.
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:41 AM   #829
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you did it in that order, then it was correct. I must have missed them in the pics looking at how far the tank was seated. Make sure you get the straps pretty tight.

You're welcome. And don't let the detractors bother you. If you can tear that skid up on the trail, we'll be more than pleased to send you another one if it fails.
I don't see myself tearing the skid up any time soon, hmmm FL(some IL/MI) wheeling compared to JV, I think I'll be safe.
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:47 AM   #830
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
I don't see myself tearing the skid up any time soon, hmmm FL(some IL/MI) wheeling compared to JV, I think I'll be safe.
Ahhhh, come on now, didn't you read? It's not the same as 6061-T6 where it's welded and, and, and, and,
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:55 AM   #831
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ahhhh, come on now, didn't you read? It's not the same as 6061-T6 where it's welded and, and, and, and,
oh, sorry I forgot, you guys didn't put a lot of time into it and you guys don't have any experience and you have no idea what you're talking about
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:47 AM   #832
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just noticed that there are welds on the skid. From doing some research about welding 6061 T6, I found out that welding on it can reduce its strength by up to 80% changing its grade (unless it has been aged or heat treated again).
Well then they must all be trashed! I guess I'll just take mine off and use it for a coffee table. Unless it can't hold the weight of a beer stein, some nachos, and a few magazines strewn about
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #833
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow guys, way to take a question and make it sound like a massive argument against the skid. I was just wondering if they retreated it after the welding, or if the loss in strength wasn't something that you needed to worry about.

Thanks to some sarcasm, I have the answer.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #834
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow guys, way to take a question and make it sound like a massive argument against the skid. I was just wondering if they retreated it after the welding, or if the loss in strength wasn't something that you needed to worry about.

Thanks to some sarcasm, I have the answer.
Just now noticed?

Go look at the second picture in the first post that Jerry started the thread with, no less than a year and 2 months ago.

And I wasn't sarcastic to you, I was beyond sarcastic to the ERS nutswinger who intimated we would try to hide something.

Besides all that, if your question was intended in the way you just clarified it, methinks that's the way you would have asked it.

Like this- Hey, I was digging around on the 'net and learned that when you weld 6061-T6, the heat from welding changes the temper and it's no longer the same strength, I was wondering if you retreated it after the welding, or is the loss in strength something that you needed to worry about?

To which I would have patiently explained why we designed it the way we did.
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #835
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just now noticed?

Go look at the second picture in the first post that Jerry started the thread with, no less than a year and 2 months ago.

And I wasn't sarcastic to you, I was beyond sarcastic to the ERS nutswinger who intimated we would try to hide something.

Besides all that, if your question was intended in the way you just clarified it, methinks that's the way you would have asked it.

Like this- Hey, I was digging around on the 'net and learned that when you weld 6061-T6, the heat from welding changes the temper and it's no longer the same strength, I was wondering if you retreated it after the welding, or is the loss in strength something that you needed to worry about?

To which I would have patiently explained why we designed it the way we did.
Yeah, someone else pointed out my lack of clarification. I never said that the sarcasm was specifically directed at me, but it did tell me what I wanted to know.

As for the pic in the first post, when I first read the thread, I didn't think anything of it.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #836
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey mrblaine. I'm feeling trollish, so can you patiently explain why my skid came with no instructions and 2 mounting bolts short of a full set?

Just giving you guys a hard time. I picked up the extra bolts at the hardware store, and am planning on installing it sometime before the fireworks tonight.

[URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/TJ?feat=directlink"]2006 TJ[/URL]
[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
1978 Cherokee Chief - bought for parts, and sold as a runner
robert_hollis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #837
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_hollis View Post
Hey mrblaine. I'm feeling trollish, so can you patiently explain why my skid came with no instructions and 2 mounting bolts short of a full set?

Just giving you guys a hard time. I picked up the extra bolts at the hardware store, and am planning on installing it sometime before the fireworks tonight.
Directions are on the Savvy website... Let me know if you'd like a copy...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #838
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_hollis View Post
The lack of hardware is inexcuseable and unfortunately without counting out every package ourselves, it's going to happen from time to time, although how something as simple as putting bolts in a bag can get screwed up, is beyond me.

Wade and Gerald have the directions in PDF form on our website somewhere and you are supposed to be able to download them and print them out. I'm guessing though, that if there is not a note in the box with the product that explains that, the end result of not having instructions will be the same.

Quote:
What fasteners were missing? If it was the carriage bolts, please check the grade. We use grade 5 to get the clamping force needed and I have yet to see anything but unrated carriage bolts at any hardware store I've been to.

If they are not grade 5 minimum, do not use them.
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #839
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, SuperWade. It's all good, though. I've always enjoyed puzzles, so anytime I get to put something together (automotive or otherwise) I look at it as a new puzzle to play with.

[URL="http://picasaweb.google.com/hollisr4/1979JeepCherokee?feat=directlink"]1979 SJ[/URL]
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #840
robert_hollis
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The lack of hardware is inexcuseable and unfortunately without counting out every package ourselves, it's going to happen from time to time, although how something as simple as putting bolts in a bag can get screwed up, is beyond me.

Wade and Gerald have the directions in PDF form on our website somewhere and you are supposed to be able to download them and print them out. I'm guessing though, that if there is not a note in the box with the product that explains that, the end result of not having instructions will be the same.

What fasteners were missing? If it was the carriage bolts, please check the grade. We use grade 5 to get the clamping force needed and I have yet to see anything but unrated carriage bolts at any hardware store I've been to.

If they are not grade 5 minimum, do not use them.

mrblaine, I went by Fastenal, and got some grade 5 carriage bolts. They know me there, cause I'm always coming in looking for 10.9 metric bolts, and such.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.